• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats your favorite play?

klubbhead024

I just got back from seeing Phantom of the Opera in Toledo, and yet again it blew me away! I have seen this play 6 times, each in a different city, and I never get tired of it!
What is everyone's favorite play?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Probably Les Mis, but I'm such a fan of musical theater than I really have too many favorites to list.

ayani

i saw "Our Lady of 121st Street" a few months back and loved it. it was jarring, and very well performed.

my favorite play to read is "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Williams. it's an awesome read, and the first play i ever picked up. it just wakes up my cinematic imagination everytime to go through it.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
It's difficult to choose, as I like so many, but I'll go with 'Guys and Dolls' because it's the last one I saw.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
MacBeth and A Mid Summer Night's Dream. I've never seen them performed live though.

My favorite play that I've performed in was Niel Simon's "Rumors." It took a couple weeks for everyone to be able to say the lines without laughing at all, and all the names that ryhme, mainly Ken, Glen, and Len, make it difficult at times, especially when they all swap names.
While I was in this play, playing the cop, I did notice a flaw in his lines. I believe it was the name Glen is never mentioned to him, but he somehow knows that name.

astarath

Hero it's a play about what would happen if Yaheshua's story took place in modern day indiana. And it's got music written by DC talk who could ask for anything more?

Booko

Deviled Hen
I don't think I could choose just one, but the list of faves that come immediately to mind tends to be a bit uh old-fashioned:

King Lear
Twelth Night
Hamlet
Les Misanthrope (Moliere)
School for Scandal

Oh, I did see a production of Evita in London back in '80 that was just fantastic. For musicals, I'd definately have that on my list.

If anyone's interested (and having Netflix is a help) there's a really great version of Richard III with Sir Ian McKellan that's definately worth a view. The play is set with a Nazi theme and excellently done!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
1. Katarina Velika, Bosanska Kraljica (Catherine the Great, Bosnian Queen)

212486038uj.jpg

An historical epic about the life, exile, and death of Bosnia's last Queen. Her life was composed of as many opposites. She was the Queen who lost Bosnia to the Muslims, she was the Queen who abandonned the royal palaces at Bobovac and Jajce and exiled herself to Rome, defeated.

She's also the South Slavic ruler who held out longest, and parts of Bosnia remained free of Muslim rule for more than a century after Greece, Serbia, the rest of Bosnia, etc... all fell. A truly amazing story.

2. Djeca sa CNN (Children of CNN)

763810562mr.jpg

A play about the children who grew up during the war. It doesn't have the elaborate set designs and hundreds of actors that Katarina Velika has, but it's a very powerful play.

3. Na Izbore (The Vote)

897728306vz.jpg

What was it like to be Muslim and communist? Scary, and funny, apparently.

4. Zenski Turbofolk Bend (Women's Fast-folk Music Band)

675097635cq.jpg

What happens when six struggling, middle-aged war widows - among them Muslims, Roman Catholics, an Orthodox Christian, and a Jew - decide to enter the big-breasted-20-something-blonde dominated world of Bosnian fast-folk music? Hilarity.

Kamala

Are we talking plays or musicals (or both)?

Anyway, my favorite play is Humble Boy (a modern reinterpretation of Hamlet) and my favorite musicals are Avenue Q, A Chorus Line, Fiddler on the Roof and Sweeney Todd.

Bishka

Veteran Member
There's just a few of my favorites:

Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
Aida
Fiddler on the Roof
The Importance of Being Earnest

and I'm quite familiar with much of Roger's and Hammerstein's work.

lizskid

BANNED
Play: The Mousetrap or maybe another....hate Our Town

Musical: Godspell, A Chrous Line, about any of them, really...loved Pippin.

Bishka

Veteran Member
lizskid said:
Play: The Mousetrap or maybe another....hate Our Town

Musical: Godspell, A Chrous Line, about any of them, really...loved Pippin.
'

Ohh! Godspell! I LOVE the music from that one!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't say I like musicals that much. Although I did run sounds for Leader of The Pack before. That was also the last play I did under the high school's director. No matter how bad the production is before opening night, keeping the actors and tech crew from after school at 3:30 until 10 PM, on a school night, is unnecessary. The techs actually walked out after the fourth run through, after the director was demanding it be run through once more.

diemjay

Top Three

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Long Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill
The Birds by Aristophanes

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
The Importance of Being Earnest

Oh my, I don't know why I forgot to put this one on my list!

And my husband does the best Lady Bracknell imitations. :biglaugh:

ayani

"the member of the wedding" is also really good. somehow reading it reminds me of being a kid in new jersey. i was very much like Frankie as a kid.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Kamala said:
Anyway, my favorite play is Humble Boy (a modern reinterpretation of Hamlet) and my favorite musicals are Avenue Q, A Chorus Line, Fiddler on the Roof and Sweeney Todd.
Sweeny Todd is one weird musical! :eek: I really quite enjoyed it, though.

Arabis

see me run
I am a huge fan of musicals, Les Mis, Sound of Music, Phantom.... But my favorite play is Much Ado about Nothing. It was the first Shakespeare I had ever seen and I have been in love with every one that I have seen since.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
lizskid said:
hate Our Town
Why do you hate Our Town? I've never seen it performed, but we studied it in high school about a million years ago and I really liked it?