• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the right age to get married?

What do you think is too young to get married?

• Total voters

Bishka

Veteran Member
I want to see everyones opinion on this? Is 18 to young? How about 19? Do you think the younger people are the more likely they are to get divorced?

Aqualung

Tasty
After you fall in love and have a reasonably good idea of who you're marrying and why, and what sort of things you'll need to do to keep that marriage alive.

My mom and dad were 18 and 20 respectively when they got married, and they're still going strong, so I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's more maturity level and level-headedness that has to do with it.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I dont ever want to get married... (well, my mind will change on this as i get older...but for the moment...) I'm saying 30-35, just because then everyone is done playing around, most jobs are established, and it gives me more time to travel and be free of responsibility! *smiles*

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Personally I think any major decision about your life should wait until your brain's finished developing... usually early/mid twenties.

Shade

Heh, you're never too old to get married...but you can be too young...To me, if you're married so young your wedding toast must legally be sparkling grape juice, then chances are you're marrying too young. Aqualung stole the words right out of my mouth though, it does have more to do with maturity. Personally, I don't want to get married until my mid/late twenties. I really don't want to settle down for quite a while.

A

angellous_evangellous

Any younger than 18 is too young for my blood. I dunno. I feel the same way about my wife that I did when I was 17. It's been 10 years, and we got married when I was 21. We have a wonderful marriage.

Marriage before college is finished I think is bad, at least for most of my friends. My wife and I were lucky, but most people who marry in college end up not graduating, divorced, or both.

fromthe heart

I can't go by when I got married because I guess we are the acception instead of the rule...I was 15...he was 19...we've been married for 36 as of Feb.14th (ok I know that's just corney as all get out)... If I'd have thought about the perfect age to get married I would have chosen 23...It's when most have decided what they are looking for in life and issues about children are better handled at or after that age...You really have to look at marriage as the first square on the game board and play the game to win! There can be so many pitfalls in life today that most just chuck a good relationship cuz they get bored or curious about other relationships or all of a sudden decide they have to go find themselves...One wrong move can destroy it all...AND then there are money issues...when you have kids forget getting clothes for yourself if you haven't planned well enough (unless your the selfish kind)...most relationships fail over money.

OK...I'll shut up now:banghead3

Bishka

Veteran Member
I was married at age 19. Many people seem to think that was to young. BTW, I didn't have a wedding toast. :) I am 20 now, been married for a little over year, there isn't anything I would change. I am glad I got married when I did, yes, I admit, I was immature, and I still am, but I 'm learning. I am learning and going through life with the one man I am going to be with for eternity. I wouldn't change a thing.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I don't think there is a right age, really.

I was happy to marry young but not everyone wants that for their lives.

Ody

I would say... 16 or 15 would be to young after all in the early times man and women where married in thier young teens and lived happy lives together...

1,00 years ago the "normal" age for marriage began around 12 or 13......when did it change to 18, and does anyone know why?? The best I can figure, it was during the time of the CHILD LABOR LAWS during the early to mid-1900's. I have a teacher friend who feel in love with one of his 7th grade students, kept it descriet(SP) and they married when she turned 18. Bye the way......he has two daughters around her age from his first wife!! And now, he and his new wife have a 2 or 3 y/o child togather. Who is to say, but I know the "legal" age here in MI is 18.....but I know of at least one state where it's 13....with parental permission.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Thorin the Skald said:
1,00 years ago the "normal" age for marriage began around 12 or 13......when did it change to 18, and does anyone know why??
And this is where the book on the history of marriage I checked out from the library for my report comes in handy! :D

Ferdinand Mount writes in The Subversive Family, ". . . in England. . . the earliest parish registers, dating from 1538 onwards, show that men and women married in their middle or late twenties. The age at which people marry is an almost infalliable guide to whether the match is arranged or not. Arranged matches are always associated with a very early age of marriage, often in the middle teens." (page 67)

On the same page, quoting Lawrence Stone, "Among the pleb[ians], the age of marriage followed a remarkably different pattern. It has now been established beyond any doubt that all over north-west Europe, with some unexplained regional exceptions, the middle and lower classes of both sexes married remarkably late, certainly from the 15th century onward. . ." and goes on to give ages in the late 20s.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I guess the question I should be asking is: Is 19 to young to get married and why? Do you think divorce happens more when couples marry young?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
beckysoup61 said:
I guess the question I should be asking is: Is 19 to young to get married and why? Do you think divorce happens more when couples marry young?
I think divorce happens when people A) don't choose their life partner wisely, or B) aren't prepared to work at their relationship.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
beckysoup61 said:
I think divorce happens more when people concentrate more on having a wedding than they do on having a marriage. Also when they have some fantasy about how they've met the person they're going to spend the rest of their life with and it's all going to wine and roses right from the get go, with no need of effort on anyones part to make it all work.
The minute they have to make an effort it becomes a problem.:rolleyes: