• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the matter with birth control?

Looncall

I do mind. That's why I keep asking you depopulation disciples to take your message to the third world. Why won't you do this?

What makes you think this isn't being done? One of the most effective ways to lift a society out of poverty is to empower its women by freeing them from the treadmill of childbearing. There are a variety of NGOs working on it.

A major impediment is religion.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Then why isn't it, Father?
Because the poor economy and infrastructure in such countries, the levels of communication and education tend to be poor. Also, much of the ignorance and irresponsibility can be attributed to having fundamentally religious cultures.

Why are you harrassing the parts of the world that are already caught in the depopulation frenzy?

You speak as if I'm centering specific parts of the world out when clearly I'm not. And what "depopulation" frenzy?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I do mind. That's why I keep asking you depopulation disciples to take your message to the third world. Why won't you do this?

One can't fixed the world. Why they'd listen to me. I make my choices, they have to make theirs.

Our reality is a bit weird in that and few control the majority of resources. So not everyone has equal access to those resources. If they did, then children would be a blessing. We could all prosper together. As it is they become a burden on families with limited resources.

What makes a third world country? They really have little control over their resources so request aid from other countries. I think we caused a lot of it by colonizing, taken their resources and making them dependent on the US, Britain, Russia etc...

As governments begin to control all of the resources there is no longer enough to go around.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm LDS as well, and don't your words sound selfish & rebellious? Lets see: God commanded us to multiply and replenish the earth, and your response is: I don't "want" to.
Whatever. God told Adam and Eve to replenish the Earth. You don't see the Earth as now being replenished?

What do you say to this?
He commanded Noah to build an ark. Have you started yours yet?

Now, maybe you could try answering my question... Did God want me to have children I wasn't emotionally equipped to deal with and that I didn't want?

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually he's been accumulating a sizable pile of hats.

127447729934p6rl.jpg

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Our reality is a bit weird in that and few control the majority of resources. So not everyone has equal access to those resources. If they did, then children would be a blessing. We could all prosper together. As it is they become a burden on families with limited resources.

What makes a third world country? They really have little control over their resources so request aid from other countries. I think we caused a lot of it by colonizing, taken their resources and making them dependent on the US, Britain, Russia etc...

As governments begin to control all of the resources there is no longer enough to go around.
Good point, though I do think that even if we all lived in perfect communion, sharing all of our resources, there would still be a need for birth control in that resources are finite. You can equally distribute the resources for equality, but it's still not ideal if each family is only getting a potato to feed their 10 kids.

Just as an aside, I read a sci-fi book where humans discover intelligent life on some other planet. All the inhabitants live comfortably, with enough resources for all, and wars were basically an unknown concept. It was ultimately linked, not to some innate goodness of the aliens, but because they had reproductive control. They could decide whether to become pregnant or not. And so, most families only chose to have 2 or 3 kids, when they wanted them. There was no "accident" babies; each child was wanted and planned for. Now, I don't think this really would solve all problems as depicted in the story, but I do feel that there is something to it. Reproductive control is a necessary component in being able to control resource consumption.