• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the matter with birth control?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
They probably think of birth control as something sort of similar to abortion because it kills sperm? :shrug:

Just a guess.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Apparently, 98% of Catholic women have used various methods of contraception. It seems like this is a case where the Church and the members really aren't seeing eye-to-eye.

right in the US....
however you won't find that in the philippines...where it's common that women have 14 children...who are starving no less...

'better to starve than to not know what starving is' :facepalm:
i swear the logic some hold on to is absolutely....insane.

btw, this is not a reflection on you.
:)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
They probably think of birth control as something sort of similar to abortion because it kills sperm? :shrug:

Just a guess.

The IUD actually does work by making a fertilized egg (egg and sperm) unable to implant in the uterine wall. The pill also prohibits a fertilized egg from implanting.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The IUD actually does work by making a fertilized egg (egg and sperm) unable to implant in the uterine wall. The pill also prohibits a fertilized egg from implanting.
That is not the primary way in which either of the birth control methods work. Both are designed to prevent the sperm from ever reaching the egg. In the rare chance that the sperm still makes it, the thin uterine wall may prevent the fertilized egg from implanting, but this is not guaranteed.

But, if that possibility is still unacceptable (Do recall that nearly 2/3s of all fertilized eggs normally fail to implant), condoms could still be used.

It is my understanding that the Catholic church still bans birth control methods. What is the reasoning behind this? And, if you are a Christian, do you or don't you accept that reasoning?

Also, I was curious if other religious traditions banned birth control, and what their reasons were as well.

It just seems to me that we have been quite fruitful, and we have certainly multiplied, to the point where humans are no longer able to be good stewards of the Earth.

Additionally, birth control allows families to better raise children they already have, by better organizing their finances and time. What is the problem with this?
I dislike birth control (unless it's advised by a medical professional) as it prevents our spirit brothers and sisters from coming to earth and getting bodies.

So then you're also advocating promiscuity, right?

(Edit: unprotected promiscuity... as to let as many of your "spiritual brothers and sister" get their Earthly bodies as possible)
Where did I say that? You asked if contraception is more effective than abstinence, and I said that I don't think so.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Where did I say that? You asked if contraception is more effective than abstinence, and I said that I don't think so.
Yes... I asked if it was more effective at preventing an outcome you just said you dislike.

A married couple using contraception no more prevents one of your "spiritual brothers and sisters" from getting an "earthly body" than a single person turning down a proposition at the club for a one-night stand does.

Yes... I asked if it was more effective at preventing an outcome you just said you dislike.

A married couple using contraception no more prevents one of your "spiritual brothers and sisters" from getting an "earthly body" than a single person turning down a proposition at the club for a one-night stand does.
Oh, then allow me to clarify: Under no circumstances are any faithful members of the LDS faith to engage in premarital sex. This means abstinence PRIOR to marriage is a must. Abstinence AFTER marriage, is not good, and also absurd.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh, then allow me to clarify: Under no circumstances are any faithful members of the LDS faith to engage in premarital sex. This means abstinence PRIOR to marriage is a must. Abstinence AFTER marriage, is not good, and also absurd.
So then you're not really worried about your "spiritual brothers and sisters" at all, are you? You're perfectly happy to take a course of action that prevents them from getting "earthly bodies" as long as it fits the tenets of your religion.

... if it's really a matter of the tenets of your religion at all. I didn't think that the LDS Church prohibited contraception by married couples anyhow. Am I wrong?

So then you're not really worried about your "spiritual brothers and sisters" at all, are you? You're perfectly happy to take a course of action that prevents them from getting "earthly bodies" as long as it fits the tenets of your religion.

... if it's really a matter of the tenets of your religion at all. I didn't think that the LDS Church prohibited contraception by married couples anyhow. Am I wrong?
Gee, Penguin; if I didn't know any better, I would think you are trying to imply that the LDS Church is an evil empire trying to take over the world. This isn't true, is it?

The church doesn't prohibit contraception, but it doesn't condone it, either. We are commanded to "multiply and replenish the earth". You tell me where you think the church would be leaning in regards to contraception.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Gee, Penguin; if I didn't know any better, I would think you are trying to imply that the LDS Church is an evil empire trying to take over the world. This isn't true, is it?
What an odd comment. No, I don't think that.

The church doesn't prohibit contraception, but it doesn't condone it, either. We are commanded to "multiply and replenish the earth". You tell me where you think the church would be leaning in regards to contraception.
Considering what I know of the LDS Church from other Mormons, I would suppose it would probably be okay with using contraception as a tool to "multiply and replenish the earth" in a responsible way.

What an odd comment. No, I don't think that.
Then you shouldn't have any trouble understanding how irresponsible your observations have been.

Considering what I know of the LDS Church from other Mormons, I would suppose it would probably be okay with using contraception as a tool to "multiply and replenish the earth" in a responsible way.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And here I was going to ask if you had previous contact with other LDS.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you think you have a pretty good handle on the LDS mindset, then why were we even having this conversation?
I like to talk to people?

I'm not convinced yet that your mindset is the typical LDS mindset. It's certainly unlike that of any other Mormon I've ever met.

I like to talk to people?
If I'm feeling heat from your side, then we aren't "just talking".

I'm not convinced yet that your mindset is the typical LDS mindset. It's certainly unlike that of any other Mormon I've ever met.
I am opposed to contraception if it's not medically advisable or if the married couple can afford to have kids.

What have you heard differently?

Last edited: