• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Hebrew word

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Israel sounds like an interesting place to visit.
It is distinct in many ways, it has a little bit of everything and some of its own. I think that an authentic visit to Israel should go beyond pilgrimage for example, because images of black wearing Jews in the old city are really not typical Israeli landscape. There's good wine industry here, unique natural landscape, diving sites, caffes and diverse cuisine, etc.

And you're an archaeologist, right?
Yeah.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Yeah I've seen pictures. Beautiful.

I am sure being an archaeologist in Israel is most fascinating. Learning so much about where you live.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yeah I've seen pictures. Beautiful.
Thanks, Assad.

I am sure being an archaeologist in Israel is most fascinating. Learning so much about where you live.
Yeah, I think I was interested in the mysteries of the distant past and enigmatic civilizations for as long as I can remember. Some of the most inspiring literature I read in childhood and which shaped my consciousness was the stories of the Greek mythology for example. Unlike other people, I didn't really have to think hard about my choice of academic direction.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Sounds like it was your calling.

I'd like to visit this one spot I read about long ago. I believe when Rome ruled, they bult on a mountain a fortress, that during the Jewish rebellion, many hid up there and were beseiged. Some ended up killing themselves rather then surrendering.

Forgive me if Imixed the story up. Been awhile.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

I'd like to visit this one spot I read about long ago. I believe when Rome ruled, they bult on a mountain a fortress, that during the Jewish rebellion, many hid up there and were beseiged. Some ended up killing themselves rather then surrendering.

Yes, it's ironic you mention that place (Masada), because I returned earlier tonight from the Israel Museum in Jerusalem where I specifically went to see the Herod exhibition. Herod was the one who built the site and where he constructed his secluded palaces, which the Jewish rebels later took over.
It's quite an amazing site. And I believe yesterday was marking the 50 years since an international recruit of volunteers to excavate the site took place.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

It's called Masada - beautiful. A visit here can also be coupled with a trip to the Dead Sea and Ein Gedi and, perhaps, a brief stop at Qumran. Then there's Makhtesh Ramon. I love the Negev!

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Yes, it's ironic you mention that place (Masada), because I returned earlier tonight from the Israel Museum in Jerusalem where I specifically went to see the Herod exhibition. Herod was the one who built the site and where he constructed his secluded palaces, which the Jewish rebels later took over.
It's quite an amazing site. And I believe yesterday was marking the 50 years since an international recruit of volunteers to excavate the site took place.

Masada, thats what it's called. Such an interesting history.

I hear the climb up is scary lol.

The land has such a history. Insh'Allah I can visit one day.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Nice, yes? My wife and I saw it on our recent visit. (I also love the old reconstructed synagogues.)
Very nice. Very exciting artifacts, many of which are intimate in that they reflect the activities of the people who actually took part in the saga around the times of Herod, the Temple in Jerusalem, the political atmosphere, etc.

Masada, thats what it's called. Such an interesting history.

I hear the climb up is scary lol.
Yeah... but it's worth it. I made my wife make the climb with me last time we were there, instead of taking the cable :D

The land has such a history. Insh'Allah I can visit one day.
You are right. I'm sure you would enjoy and be interested in seeing the historical remains here, but don't forget to try out some of the fine Hummus joints in this side of the Middle East in the process. We deliver!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Very nice. Very exciting artifacts, many of which are intimate in that they reflect the activities of the people who actually took part in the saga around the times of Herod, the Temple in Jerusalem, the political atmosphere, etc.
Ever visit the Cochin Jewish Heritage Museum just outside of Be'er Sheva?

I made my wife make the climb with me last time we were there, instead of taking the cable :D
I walked up a few years ago - my wife took the cable car. I can remember struggling up some steps as about a dozen young and smiling IDF women ran past me calling out 'shalom.' I somehow felt very old ... :eek:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
You are right. I'm sure you would enjoy and be interested in seeing the historical remains here, but don't forget to try out some of the fine Hummus joints in this side of the Middle East in the process. We deliver!

Hoho I am known to down my share of hummus :)

Would also have to try authetic matzoball soup(love the stuff)

Monotheist 101

but don't forget to try out some of the fine Hummus joints in this side of the Middle East in the process. We deliver!

Im a fan of Israeli hommus, get it quite easily in Australia, I dont care what other Muslims say, Im happy paying Jews for their hommus.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't know ... I've had some outstanding Lebanese hummus! That, along with laffa, some labne with zatar and (with a little luck) some Moroccan carrots and you have a pretty amazing meal.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Ever visit the Cochin Jewish Heritage Museum just outside of Be'er Sheva?
Unfortunately no.

I walked up a few years ago - my wife took the cable car. I can remember struggling up some steps as about a dozen young and smiling IDF women ran past me calling out 'shalom.' I somehow felt very old ... :eek:
My wife's parents didn't even take the option of climbing the mountain by foot seriously. So Kudos.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Im a fan of Israeli hommus, get it quite easily in Australia, I dont care what other Muslims say, Im happy paying Jews for their hommus.
Hah, all is fair in love and Hummus. Rest assured the I ate in Palestinian Hummus joints probably a hundred times, in addition to eating in a couple of dozen Hummus joints in Jordan and Egypt. I also ate in various decent Lebanese joints in Amsterdam, London, Israel and other parts of the world.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Turkey. My aunt has been there. She said you have one foot in the east, other in the west.

If I could visit Israel, Syria would be next.... if there is anything left :/
My wife got to travel Syria some years before the civil war, I have beautiful diapositives from her time there.
I was also lucky to travel across Egypt a few short months before the revolution in 2010, journeying all the way from Cairo to Aswan and around the Sudan border. I'm thankful that I took the initiative in that specific timing.