• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the difference between these Coronavirus treatments ?

ronki23

I haven't formally studied science after 16 but I have an interest in it. What is the difference between these drugs ?

'Quine'
Chloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine

How do the two differ ?

Anti HIV
Oseltamivir
Ritonavir
Lopinavir
Remdesivir

Why are Ritonavir and Lopinavir often combined ?

Antibiotic
Azithromycin

Why do you need azithromycin with hydroxychloriquine ?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The difference is they don't work or hardly work

exchemist

Veteran Member
I haven't formally studied science after 16 but I have an interest in it. What is the difference between these drugs ?

'Quine'
Chloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine

How do the two differ ?

Anti HIV
Oseltamivir
Ritonavir
Lopinavir
Remdesivir

Antibiotic
Azithromycin

The hydroxy version has an extra -OH (hydroxy) group attached to one of the terminal carbon atoms on the -N(CH₂ CH₃)₂ group at one end of the molecule. The main difference in application seems to be that chloroquine is only used to cure malaria, whereas the hydroxy version can be used prophylactically as well.

I don't know about the HIV drugs.

I don't think you necessarily need an antibiotic with hydroxychloroquine. However, patients with viral pneumonia from Covid-19 are likely to pick up secondary bacterial infections (this happened to a friend of mine) , which can cause regular bacterial pneumonia on top of the viral one, and that can easily kill you too. So it may be that doctors give both to be sure.

There seems to be no clear evidence that hydroxyquinoline works. (Only a fool would rely on the word of the half-witted and mendacious President of the United States :D.)

Remdesivir seems, in one study, to shorten the recovery time, though other studies have shown no significant effect.

There is no evidence, as yet, that Remdesivir reduces the death rate, or that it stops you getting the disease.

But I am not a pharmacologist. It may that a more knowledgeable reader can fill in or correct what I have written.

Last edited:

ronki23

The hydroxy version has an extra -OH (hydroxy) group attached to one of the terminal carbon atoms on the -N(CH₂ CH₃)₂ group at one end of the molecule. The main difference in application seems to be that chloroquine is only used to cure malaria, whereas the hydroxy version can be used prophylactically as well.

I don't know about the HIV drugs.

I don't think you necessarily need an antibiotic with hydroxychloroquine. However, patients with viral pneumonia from Covid-19 are likely to pick up secondary bacterial infections (this happened to a friend of mine) , which can cause regular bacterial pneumonia on top of the viral one, and that can easily kill you too. So it may be that doctors give both to be sure.

There seems to be no clear evidence that hydroxyquinoline works. (Only a fool would rely on the word of the half-witted and mendacious President of the United States :D.)

Remdesivir seems, in one study, to shorten the recovery time, though other studies have shown no significant effect.

There is no evidence, as yet, that Remdesivir reduces the death rate, or that it stops you getting the disease.

But I am not a pharmacologist. It may that a more knowledgeable reader can fill in or correct what I have written.

Can you use normal chloroquine?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Can you use normal chloroquine?
What for? DON'T use either it or the hydroxy variant in a foolish attempt to protect yourself from Covid-19.

As I said, the current President of the United States is a certifiable idiot whose word cannot be trusted. Not only is there no good evidence these drugs work against Covid -19 but they can have serious side effects.

By the way, the only (unverified) claim that was ever made for hydroxychloroquine in respect of Covid-19 was in allegedly lessening the symptoms in very severe (cytokine storm) cases already in hospital. There has never been any claim at all that they protect you from getting the disease, or that they help you recover from it - unless you get into this very severe condition, in which case you are way beyond self-medication with anything, because you are almost dead!

Last edited:

ronki23

What for? DON'T use either it or the hydroxy variant in a foolish attempt to protect yourself from Covid-19.

As I said, the current President of the United States is a certifiable idiot whose word cannot be trusted. Not only is there no good evidence these drugs work against Covid -19 but they can have serious side effects.

By the way, the only (unverified) claim that was ever made for hydroxychloroquine in respect of Covid-19 was in allegedly lessening the symptoms in very severe (cytokine storm) cases already in hospital. There has never been any claim at all that they protect you from getting the disease, or that they help your recover from it - unless you get into this very severe condition, in which case you are way beyond self-medication with anything, because you are almost dead!

What do you think of this video?

and this?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

'Quine'
Chloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine

How do the two differ ?

Anti HIV
Oseltamivir
Ritonavir
Lopinavir
Remdesivir

Antibiotic
Azithromycin

I've learned a lot of answers to those types of questions when I did a bit of studying on molecular bonding. Although I'm not a scientist I do understand better than I did before the schematic diagram of the molecule on the spiff sheet whenever I get my prescription medicine that has a graphic of the molecular arrangement of that drug.