• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's all this about hearts?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Interesting if you ever watch a person get upset with thermals on :D no, not the underwear. The heart and chest region in general light up like crazy.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
It refers to a spiritual heart and not a physical heart. The inference possibly came from chemicals like adrenaline rising in the chest area when one is 'in love' etc.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I see the heart as being what a person really feels and thinks instead of what they say they think.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Interesting if you ever watch a person get upset with thermals on :D no, not the underwear. The heart and chest region in general light up like crazy.

But the penis lights up crazy also, but that doesn't mean the sexual thought is in the penis.

I constantly find religious types talking about peoples' hearts as if they use those hearts to think, or understand, or feel.

In these modern times, we know very well that hearts only pump blood. It seems that in ancient times people mistakenly thought that hearts did the thinking (and that brains cooled the blood!).

Why is this ancient error so eagerly repeated by the religious? Is it that they hope to give their pronouncements unearned importance? Do they think that they can hide the fact that they are talking about mere emotions? Is this just another religious scam?

You're right ancient people believed the heart was the seat of intelligence and knowledge. But what did the prophet of Islam think, surely he wasn't as ignorant as everone else?

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 429:

Narrated Malik bin Sasaa:

The Prophet said, "While I was at the House in a state midway between sleep and wakefulness, (an angel recognized me) as the man lying between two men. A golden tray full of wisdom and belief was brought to me and my body was cut open from the throat to the lower part of the abdomen and then my abdomen was washed with Zam-zam water and (my heart was) filled with wisdom and belief...:yes:

Looncall

You're right ancient people believed the heart was the seat of intelligence and knowledge. But what did the prophet of Islam think, surely he wasn't as ignorant as everone else?

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 429:

Narrated Malik bin Sasaa:

The Prophet said, "While I was at the House in a state midway between sleep and wakefulness, (an angel recognized me) as the man lying between two men. A golden tray full of wisdom and belief was brought to me and my body was cut open from the throat to the lower part of the abdomen and then my abdomen was washed with Zam-zam water and (my heart was) filled with wisdom and belief...:yes:

Evidently, he was just as ignorant.

Looncall

Unless you perceive yourself standing on a rotating Earth, and that the sun becomes visible as the Earth rotates to bring the sun into sight. An exercise I would recommend everyone do on occassion to allow you to experience a different perspective. Of course, be prepared for the realization that you will most likely be standing somewhat sideways on the Earth as you envision this. Don't worry, you won't fall over.

That is special.

I also like to lie on the ground on a dark night and look into the starry sky, thinking about being on the surface of the spinning earth.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I constantly find religious types talking about peoples' hearts as if they use those hearts to think, or understand, or feel.

In these modern times, we know very well that hearts only pump blood. It seems that in ancient times people mistakenly thought that hearts did the thinking (and that brains cooled the blood!).

Why is this ancient error so eagerly repeated by the religious? Is it that they hope to give their pronouncements unearned importance? Do they think that they can hide the fact that they are talking about mere emotions? Is this just another religious scam?

I was heartbroken to read your OP. To spoil such semantics you must surely be a heartbreaker? Deep in the heartland of soul, pop and even classical music you could find your heart's desire, if you would but look, but to get straight to the heart of the matter....... many have already told you that the word 'heart' has many differing meanings and uses.

So take heart, and listen to their wisdom...... :)

P.S. For God's sake don't go ripping out anybody heart because of that last sentence. :D

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

the 'heart' is figurative for the inner person and all their intrinsic qualities or nature.

Farrukh

why not people get brain attack when they suffer loss in business? why everyone getting heart attack?
we don't know now, but scientists will tell you may be after a century that heart is the master and brain is the slave.

"who feared the Beneficent God in secret, and turned to Him with a repenting heart". Quran 50:33