• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's all this about hearts?

Looncall

I constantly find religious types talking about peoples' hearts as if they use those hearts to think, or understand, or feel.

In these modern times, we know very well that hearts only pump blood. It seems that in ancient times people mistakenly thought that hearts did the thinking (and that brains cooled the blood!).

Why is this ancient error so eagerly repeated by the religious? Is it that they hope to give their pronouncements unearned importance? Do they think that they can hide the fact that they are talking about mere emotions? Is this just another religious scam?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To speak of the emotions as originating in a person's heart is commonplace in the West even among those who are not religious.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I constantly find religious types talking about peoples' hearts as if they use those hearts to think, or understand, or feel.

In these modern times, we know very well that hearts only pump blood. It seems that in ancient times people mistakenly thought that hearts did the thinking (and that brains cooled the blood!).

Why is this ancient error so eagerly repeated by the religious? Is it that they hope to give their pronouncements unearned importance? Do they think that they can hide the fact that they are talking about mere emotions? Is this just another religious scam?

You are right that ancient people did think the heart was the seat of emotions and intellect. We can recognize that their understanding of physiology was flawed but there is still a special meaning to feeling something "deep down in my heart" that can't really be expressed in any better way. And it's not always a matter of emotion either. So what's the big deal?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Human language is rife with metaphor. Do you have a problem with metaphor in general, or just in this case?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes. Not just in the context of religion do they do that.

It's not error, it's poetry.

The heart symbolises the understanding/feeling part of the self. It is what links two people in relation, and what links all compassionate people in humanity.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Some aspects of language can be darn near impervious to change. We still refer to the sunrise, although horizon drop would be more accurate.

Tom

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The sun does not orbit the earth but it does rise everyday from our perspective.

Unless you perceive yourself standing on a rotating Earth, and that the sun becomes visible as the Earth rotates to bring the sun into sight. An exercise I would recommend everyone do on occassion to allow you to experience a different perspective. Of course, be prepared for the realization that you will most likely be standing somewhat sideways on the Earth as you envision this. Don't worry, you won't fall over.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a common and occasionally useful metaphor that is used by both religious and non-religious people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"Up" is even better. For most of human history up was a constant and the same for everyone. Now we know that it is different for everyone and gyrating wildly from any objective perspective.

Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm still trying to figure out of the OP is being serious or not.

If so, than I'd like to ask for permission to use it as a stellar example of people not understanding art, poetry, and mythology in general. Specifically, the tendency for people to take things so literally that they sort of miss the point.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm still trying to figure out of the OP is being serious or not.

If so, than I'd like to ask for permission to use it as a stellar example of people not understanding art, poetry, and mythology in general. Specifically, the tendency for people to take things so literally that they sort of miss the point.

What does the OP have to do with stars?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And both theists and non-theists somehow manage to say "oh my god(s)" when something astounding happens.