• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a legitimate faith?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Is it one of your own persuasion (i.e. Christianity, etc.) or is it one that isn't classified a 'cult'.

What is a legitimate faith?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For me, it can be any one that doesn't bring harm to oneself or others and does not exploit its members for gain- either financial, power, or personal.

CDRaider

FeathersinHair said:
For me, it can be any one that doesn't bring harm to oneself or others and does not exploit its members for gain- either financial, power, or personal.

I concour... give me time to think of a more... well... longer response.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
CDRaider said:
I concour... give me time to think of a more... well... longer response.

Hehee, I swear that, at the slightest encouragement, I can be provoked into writing a longer, far more meandering and less sensical (see: all my other posts) response!

Pah

Uber all member
beckysoup61 said:
Is it one of your own persuasion (i.e. Christianity, etc.) or is it one that isn't classified a 'cult'.

A legitimate faith is the one a person holds. Though there may be tolerance for other faiths, there is, in some minds, only one "true" faith.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
If people believe that their religion is a true pathway to God then it will be legitimate to them. Generally, I would say one that believes in God and the concept of sharing love with the world.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
A legitimate faith is one that serves as a force for good in the world. By that definition most (if not all )faiths are legitimate.

FatMan

beckysoup61 said:

In the strictest sense, I'd assume that a legitimate faith is one that can be supported with history, either an ancient tradition of practicing of the religion or from historical texts that are used to support the belief system.

In a more subjective sense, I'd say that illegitimate faiths would be ones that exist solely for the personal gain or promotion of the leaders, with little actual regard for the members, which includes not furthering spritiual advancement. also, any organization that leads a concentrated campaign to brainwash.

Zephyr

Moved on
I accept most faiths as legitimate I guess.

Do I like them? No.
Do I tolerate them? No.

Whatever works for them I guess.

Bishka

Veteran Member
sandy whitelinger said:
So, you want to get to the point huh?:baseball: Why, the one He outlines for us of course.

Which ones would those be? Only Christians faiths that accept the Trinity or all Christians who accept Christ?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
A legitimate faith is one that you believe in. I don't think it can get more legit than that ;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Depending on how informed your conscious is, depends upon on whether God accepts it or not.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
How can anyone make the claim that someones faith is ilegitimate if it is faith? Faith is belief. Our imaginations have no limit, thus neither does our capasity for faith. All any of us can disagree on and argue over is what is actually objective. Epistomological concerns and such.

Faint

Please explain how you're using the word "legitimate" with definitions as these do make a difference.

For instance: if you mean legitimate as "being exactly as purposed : neither spurious nor false" I would say that most religious faiths fail to qualify as "legitimate" in and of themselves (as they are usually both spurious and false). HOWEVER, they can qualify as "legitimate faiths" because, well they are ACTUALLY faiths. Therefore, I would say that LDS is as much a faith as Catholicism, or Scientology, or Heaven's Gate.