• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Change about the LDS Church?

Scott C.

Just one guy
Well, it wasn't "Ye who unto Jesus." If it had been, it probably wouldn't have been changed. It was "You who unto Jesus," and that sounded like, "Yoo hoo unto Jesus."

Well, I just pulled out my 1975 hymnbook to prove it... and you're right it is "you".:yes: I still like it the old way. "Jesus" seems more personal.

RanMan

I'm talking about procedures, etc. not doctrine. This is for LDS--inspired by another thread.

I'll start:
1. I'd change the name of Relief Society to something like "LDS Women". (Never have liked RS (the name)--it must sound really weird to non-members.)
2. I'd split some of the long hymns with 4+ verses to two hymns with 2 verses. (Personal preference.)
3. I'd adopt the Asian style of greeting, to bowing or something like that. Have you ever thought about the germ exchange as we shake a dozen hands on our way into a meeting, before the sacrament comes around?
4. Eliminate all annoying people in my ward. . . . Kidding . . . maybe:rolleyes:
5. I'd eliminate song practice in RS to allow more lesson time. (The men don't have to do it.)
6. I'd stop blaming the High Priests for falling asleep. If the teachers and lessons were more interesting, they'd stay awake. So my wish is that the quality of teaching would improve--where needed.

Agree or disagree? What are your ideas?

I thought the falling asleep thing was a requirement to become a High Priest.

:)

ohyeah

i heard they are thinking about ordaining newborns to hp so they will sleep through the meetings.

re: op

i would bring back polygamy. i would work to get an heiress, a doctor, a successful real estate lady and an attorney, then i would drive around in my ferrari doing honey dos.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
i would bring back polygamy. i would work to get an heiress, a doctor, a successful real estate lady and an attorney, then i would drive around in my ferrari doing honey dos.

Hahaha! Classic. Actually that's one of the things I would have changed to but it said in the OP we couldn't do doctrines.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
What do you think of the Sunday School hour? I teach Gospel Doctrine, so I LOVE IT, and would mourn its loss. I have learned a ton over the past several years, but I fully realize the teacher learns the most. It's also a useful hour to stick in a Marriage Relations class, Family History class, Temple Prep class, etc., not to mention Gospel Essentials.

But if the 3-hour block did get reduced, the 2nd hour would be the one to go. Hmmmm . . . if I got to teach an Institute class, then maybe I'd recover from the loss.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What do you think of the Sunday School hour? I teach Gospel Doctrine, so I LOVE IT, and would mourn its loss. I have learned a ton over the past several years, but I fully realize the teacher learns the most. It's also a useful hour to stick in a Marriage Relations class, Family History class, Temple Prep class, etc., not to mention Gospel Essentials.

But if the 3-hour block did get reduced, the 2nd hour would be the one to go. Hmmmm . . . if I got to teach an Institute class, then maybe I'd recover from the loss.
I taught Gospel Essentials and absolutely loved it, but right now the only option available is Gospel Doctrine. And as I've already said, most of the time I'm bored to tears. We did have a Marriage Relations class awhile back. That would have been fine, but every couple in the ward was asked to take it (it was repeated several times). I have been happily married for over 37 years. That eight or ten week period was a TOTAL waste of my time.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I taught Gospel Essentials and absolutely loved it, but right now the only option available is Gospel Doctrine. And as I've already said, most of the time I'm bored to tears. We did have a Marriage Relations class awhile back. That would have been fine, but every couple in the ward was asked to take it (it was repeated several times). I have been happily married for over 37 years. That eight or ten week period was a TOTAL waste of my time.

I think I'd bug the bishop about some options. We had a boring GD teacher for years and I attended everything else that I could. I even volunteered to teach the marriage class. Finally they released the boring teacher and put ME in. People say they enjoy it, and I hope they really do. I've tried VERY HARD to not be boring, and have found that using the Institute manual helps a lot.
Anyway, bug your bishop.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I would also get rid of the Block program for those of us whose entire ward is near the church. I would love to go to Sacrament meeting. Walk home. Sleep for a few hours. Wake up, go to preisthood. Go back home, sleep some more. Then go back for priesthood meeting. It would help me stay awak even more. I think it would also help me keep that Sabbath day better. But it wouldn't be compatable with my work right now.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Imagine all the good that could be done if the young men were sent on humanitarian missions instead of prostelyting and the elderly missionaries did the prostelyting instead.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Imagine all the good that could be done if the young men were sent on humanitarian missions instead of prostelyting and the elderly missionaries did the prostelyting instead.

Many humanitarian missionaries are sent out. They just aren't as visable. Also the young men are supposed to be doing service as well as teach the gospel. Finally the members do tons of service. A lot of good is done, but more is always better.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Many humanitarianism missionaries are sent out. They just aren't as visable. Also the young men are supposed to be doing service as well as teach the gospel. Finally the member do tons of service.
Yes, that's true.

I was LDS a long time ago and the vast majority of my mission was spent knocking on the doors of suburban homes in mostly christian neighborhoods and teaching very few people at all. Though it was a great learning experience for me, I think from a practical standpoint it would have been much better to send me to a place where my youth and strength could have been better utilized, like the peace corps or unicef. I think I made very little difference in Canada, except maybe a few people I baptized, but considering my current views on religion my "rewards" have lost their eternal consequenses.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Yes, that's true.

I was LDS a long time ago and the vast majority of my mission was spent knocking on the doors of suburban homes in mostly christian neighborhoods and teaching very few people at all. Though it was a great learning experience for me, I think from a practical standpoint it would have been much better to send me to a place where my youth and strength could have been better utilized, like the peace corps or unicef. I think I made very little difference in Canada, except maybe a few people I baptized, but considering my current views on religion my "rewards" have lost their eternal consequenses.
You have time to reconsider your views on religion. We never really do see the good that we do and how that spreads forth to others. I am sure there are many people who are blessed that you can't count due to your mission to Canada:yes:

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
You have time to reconsider your views on religion. We never really do see the good that we do and how that spreads forth to others. I am sure there are many people who are blessed that you can't count due to your mission to Canada:yes:

Yes, and not to mention who really grows and benefits from missions--the missionaries. Another way to look at it is that for two years the Lord wants you to focus on teaching the gospel. You have the rest of your life to serve and bless the world in other ways.

Bishka

Veteran Member

No offense, but this is the typical "Sunday School," answer.

So what if he is an atheist, I say whatever suits the person the best, no one will be forced into a place they do not want to go.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
No offense, but this is the typical "Sunday School," answer.

So what if he is an atheist, I say whatever suits the person the best, no one will be forced into a place they do not want to go.
Who was trying to teach Sunday School here? If a person wants to come back they will. It is not an offense to state a viewpoint.

The typical Sunday School answer is: If you don't repent and come back you are going to hell, and end up with one of Spitzer's Hookers.:eek: