• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would Jesus Do?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Jesus had almost certainly studied Torah, which did exist, and likely most of the rest of the Tanach as well. Which would have qualified as "the Bible" for him, as it does for all Jews.

However, in any case, I would assume that Jesus would probably try to treat everyone with courtesy and respect and love, regardless of race, creed, color, or sexual preference..

..Because that's what non-heretical Jews were doing. Sure.

Levite

Higher and Higher
..Because that's what non-heretical Jews were doing. Sure.

No, not a lot of them. But judging from what we are told are his teachings, he seems to have prioritized personal spiritual support, healing, and caring for those in need of care-- even to the disdained from general society-- over all other considerations. So I would assume that, whatever his abstract theology of sexuality might be, he would still try to treat everyone well. He might have been a heretic, but he seems to have generally been a mensch, which is more than I can say for a lot of people, both Jews and Christians.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus had almost certainly studied Torah, which did exist, and likely most of the rest of the Tanach as well. Which would have qualified as "the Bible" for him, as it does for all Jews.

Even though you could be right, I tend to lean in the other direction. Having access to a Torah wasn't that easy back then, plus he left no writings, which begs the question why not? If I'm trying to teach what I believe to a wider audience, writing is one of the things I'm gonna do.

Instead, I think it's more likely he was a good listener, memorized and could paraphrase certain verses that he felt were important to him. Later on, after he was martyred, some of his followers could take their time and then quote the verses that Jesus probably paraphrased.

Am I certain of this? No.

However, in any case, I would assume that Jesus would probably try to treat everyone with courtesy and respect and love, regardless of race, creed, color, or sexual preference; because while it seems clear that Jesus was, Jewishly speaking, a teacher of heretical doctrines, he was also apparently a decent enough guy to know not to act like a giant *********.

I fully agree with you here as that's my impression as well. There's something about him that must have attracted others, and I believe you hit upon the most likely note above.

roger1440

I do stuff
Even though you could be right, I tend to lean in the other direction. Having access to a Torah wasn't that easy back then, plus he left no writings, which begs the question why not? If I'm trying to teach what I believe to a wider audience, writing is one of the things I'm gonna do.

Instead, I think it's more likely he was a good listener, memorized and could paraphrase certain verses that he felt were important to him. Later on, after he was martyred, some of his followers could take their time and then quote the verses that Jesus probably paraphrased.

Am I certain of this? No.

I fully agree with you here as that's my impression as well. There's something about him that must have attracted others, and I believe you hit upon the most likely note above.
Maybe he had crib notes. With all the running around he did from the mean Jews he couldn't carry all those scrolls around with him.