• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what would a new religion have to be like to replace all the other religions?

Freedomelf

I don't think of magic or miracles when I think of a new religion. To replace all other religions, one would have to acknowledge that they don't know everything. I think the biggest turnoff for members is the fact that most churches are so darned certain of their beliefs and tout their stories as absolute fact. To replace all others, a church would have to, 1, admit that it isn't sure of anything, and 2, show that it cares about members more than it cares about corporate profits.

Church should be a place to experience spiritual peace, not more doubt. It should be a rock that you rely on when times get tough, not a sponge that seeks to draw profits from the poor and rich alike. A church to replace all other churches, in my opinion, would have to be spread by word of mouth rather than by throwing a bunch of money away on ornate buildings, advertising, and ridiculous clothes for its leaders.

HankHill

Indian-American Ex-Hindu
Freedomelf, I think the kind of religion which you are describing wouldn't catch on because of the lack of being sure in its beliefs and claims to absolute knowledge. Islam, Mormonism, and Christianity have high rates of conversion because of their absolute claims (among other things), if someone was looking for a group which didn't staunchly hold to beliefs and perhaps focused more on helping the poor and charity, they might be drawn more to non-religious organizations like the Peace Corps, etc. and pursue their "spiritual needs" on their own. Just my opinion though.

John Martin

I do not look for a new religion that replaces the old ones but I envision a new human consciousness that goes beyond all religions. I believe that Jesus Christ inaugurated a new human consciousness that is able to say, ' I am the way,the truth and the life'. Every new religion divides human beings. the vision of Jesus was:
God is greater than religions and human beings; human beings in their deepest level of greater than religions; religions are meant to be at the service of human beings and not human beings at the service of religions( the Sabbath is made for human beings and not human beings for the sake of the Sabbath). Jesus formed a group of his close disciples to be a nest form which this new consciousness can take birth but unfortunately and understandably the nest has been made into a cage and thus Christianity emerged. Jesus' vision took second seat. Now Christianity has to open its door and transform itself into a nest which can facilitate the birth of this New Human Consciousness.

The Adept

I do not think a new religion should replace all the other religions.
They can be seen a local or national cults.

CEMB

I believe a new religion would bring a new message which:

i) provides solutions to the major problems facing the majority of people today.
ii) gives a new insight into the human condition and the relationship between the soul, the mind, the body and God.
iii) And reveals a new Truth which adds to the Truths already revealed by other religions.

i) provides solutions to the major problems facing the majority of people today.
ii) gives a new insight into the human condition and the relationship between the soul, the mind, the body and God.
iii) And reveals a new Truth which adds to the Truths already revealed by other religions.

I totally agree, and believe that that will happen when Jesus comes to restore the paradise on Earth. That will be the Kingdom of God on Earth.

The prophecy in Daniel 2:44 concerning the time of the end of human rule, reads:

" In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever."

CEMB

I totally agree, and believe that that will happen when Jesus comes to restore the paradise on Earth. That will be the Kingdom of God on Earth.

The prophecy in Daniel 2:44 concerning the time of the end of human rule, reads:

" In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever."

I agree that God will send other prophets to help us to better understand ourselves and the universe in which we exist, but I don't believe we are ready for paradise yet. Do we even have the clarity of vision to recognise paradise? We still have a lot to learn and more places to explore before we reach paradise.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

Agreed.

I agree that God will send other prophets to help us to better understand ourselves and the universe in which we exist, but I don't believe we are ready for paradise yet. Do we even have the clarity of vision to recognise paradise? We still have a lot to learn and more places to explore before we reach paradise.

Well I believe that the paradise will rgradually be restored after the great tribulation and Armageddon. That Jesus will set up his Kingdom over the earth and unite all humanity. Isn't that what we pray for in the Our Father prayer?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Such religion already exists, we just don't realize it. The religion that all people follow, whether they like it or not, is the way nature flows. Reality. Life.

CEMB

Well I believe that the paradise will rgradually be restored after the great tribulation and Armageddon. That Jesus will set up his Kingdom over the earth and unite all humanity. Isn't that what we pray for in the Our Father prayer?

I believe in prophecy and prescience as well, but I think humanity is on the verge of travelling and colonising other moons and planets, so that we as a species will not longer be confined to the Earth. If the prophecy does come true then it will therefore include all humans, whether they live on Earth or not. On the other hand, nuclear holocaust could occur in the next couple of decades - Armageddon - and then Jesus arrives. I hope though that humanity has matured beyond that i.e. mass nuclear suicide.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No dogmatic belief.
No rituals, no ceremony, no beads for your hands, no rugs for your knees.....

No need to nod your head to anything other than....
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You have never needed anything else or anything more.

It is a code of behavior and fair warning.

Heaven will do for you (unto you) as you have done unto others.
The angels await.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Doesn't work so well when you run across a rapist..
Or a masochist...
Or a serial killer...
Or a mass murderer...

How about "do unto others as they would want done to them"?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Maybe a new religion that was plausible - one that made no claims that were counter factual.

Personally I think that ritual, tradition and ceremony can all be great things. What we need to dispense with is the supernatural nonsense.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Doesn't work so well when you run across a rapist..
Or a masochist...
Or a serial killer...
Or a mass murderer...

How about "do unto others as they would want done to them"?

Nope.....sorry.....no rewrites.

But what do you think happens to people as they become spirit?

oh, that's right.....you don't think you're going anywhere.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Nope.....sorry.....no rewrites.
Then I will not be playing your rigged game.

But what do you think happens to people as they become spirit?
Until such time as you can provide a useful and or meaningful definition of the word "spirit" your question has no meaning.

oh, that's right.....you don't think you're going anywhere.

You have no idea what I think about the after life.
You have merely jumped to conclusions based on my pointing out holes in yours.