• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were the expectations of the Messiah during the first century

roger1440

I do stuff
During the 1st and 2nd century AD a new view of the Jewish Messiah was being developed. Most viewed the Messiah as someone who would change the world the Jews lived in. This new view looked at the Messiah as someone who would change the way Jews lived within the world.

Akivah

During the early first century the Jews would have been looking for a messiah that would overthrow the romans and reestablish Israel as an independent country a good example of what they would have been looking for can be found in Shimeon ben Kosiba, known as Bar Kokhba. He was a charismatic, brilliant, but brutal warlord who led a revolt against the Roman Empire in 132 CE. During the revolt he caught the Roman Tenth Legion by surprise and retook Jerusalem. He resumed sacrifices at the site of the Temple and the since romans had destroyed it in 70 CE he made plans to rebuild it. He established a provisional government and began to issue coins in its name. So he had basically reestablished Israel and this is what the Jewish people were looking for in the messiah during this time. However the Roman Empire crushed his revolt and killed Bar Kokhba in 135 CE. After his death, they acknowledged that he was not the messiah that was prophesied.

True, he didn't meet the prerequisites to be the future messiah. But he came closer than anyone else has ever done.

pearl

True, he didn't meet the prerequisites to be the future messiah. But he came closer than anyone else has ever done.

It might be easier to state what was not expected. There was never any thought of the Messiah as divine. It is Jesus who both
unites and divides Israel and Christianity.

Akivah

It might be easier to state what was not expected. There was never any thought of the Messiah as divine.

No, the Hebrew bible is very clear on the prophecies that will occur that signal the arrival of the messianic era and the future messiah. And these prophecies clearly demonstrate that the future messiah will be a man.

roger1440

I do stuff
No, the Hebrew bible is very clear on the prophecies that will occur that signal the arrival of the messianic era and the future messiah. And these prophecies clearly demonstrate that the future messiah will be a man.
Can you quote a verse please?

roger1440

I do stuff
I'm going to put a little spin on this. If the Jews were to be holy as God is holy, would the Jews be divine?

Akivah

Can you quote a verse please?

The prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5). As G-d can not be a descendent of any human, the passages can't refer to G-d. They can only refer to a human male.

roger1440

I do stuff
Regardless who or what is the Messiah the stage must be set before the Messiah’s arrival. Therefore, it’s the Jews responsibility to put everything in place before he gets here. If I’m right that there are prerequisites then the prerequisites are not distinct or separated from the Messiah. The prerequisites would be the momentum that brings the Messiah. Until the Jews collectively prepare for the Messiah he will always be in the distance. Comments?

Sariel

Heretic
Of course this also brings up the whole Messiah be Yosef concept in regards to ben David. I noticed that everyone wanted to claim David's lineage but no seemed interested in being a descendant of Yosef during the second temple era. Was he just the unpopular gopher messiah? I recall reading of another Jewish messiah claimant, Abraham Abulafia, who claimed Jesus was messiah ben Yosef and haSatan. He sounds crazy but I'd actually like to read his work.

Akivah

Regardless who [sic] is the Messiah the stage must be set before the Messiah’s arrival. Therefore, it’s the Jews responsibility to put everything in place before he gets here. If I’m right that there are prerequisites then the prerequisites are not distinct or separated from the Messiah. The prerequisites would be the momentum that brings the Messiah. Until the Jews collectively prepare for the Messiah he will always be in the distance. Comments?

I'm not aware of a single definitive answer to your statements. There is debate among authoritative Judaism of whether the prophecies will be completed by the future messiah or whether their completion by us will cause the appearance of the messiah. All that is certain is that once the prophecies come about, we will be in the Messianic Age. And that is what we look forward to.

roger1440

I do stuff
I'm not aware of a single definitive answer to your statements. There is debate among authoritative Judaism of whether the prophecies will be completed by the future messiah or whether their completion by us will cause the appearance of the messiah. All that is certain is that once the prophecies come about, we will be in the Messianic Age. And that is what we look forward to.
The point I’m trying to make is that the Jewish people play a role in the scheme of things. They are to be active not passive.

CMike

Below are the messianic prophesies.

The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance (Isaiah 2:4)

The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8–10)

The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

Nations will recognize the wrongs they did Israel (Isaiah 52:13–53:5)

For My House (the Temple in Jerusalem) shall be called a house of prayer for all nations (Isaiah 56:3–7)

The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvoth

He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13–15, Ezekiel 36:29–30, Isaiah 11:6–9)

Michah 4

3. And he shall judge between many peoples and reprove mighty nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nations shall not lift the sword against nation; neither shall they learn war anymore.

Ezekiel 37

21. And say to them, So says the Lord God: Behold I will take the children of Israel from among the nations where they have gone, and I will gather them from every side, and I will bring them to their land. כא. (bring all the jews to Israel

22. And I will make them into one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel, and one king shall be to them all as a king; and they shall no longer be two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms anymore. כב. One recognized king

23. And they shall no longer defile themselves with their idols, with their detestable things, or with all their transgressions, and I will save them from all their habitations in which they have sinned, and I will purify them, and they shall be to Me as a people, and I will be to them as a God. כג. All nations will worship one G-D

24. And My servant David shall be king over them, and one shepherd shall be for them all, and they shall walk in My ordinances and observe My statutes and perform them. כד. Descendent of David

25. And they shall dwell on the land that I have given to My servant, to Jacob, wherein your forefathers lived; and they shall dwell upon it, they and their children and their children's children, forever; and My servant David shall be their prince forever. כה.All the jews will stay in Israel forever

26. And I will form a covenant of peace for them, an everlasting covenant shall be with them; and I will establish them and I will multiply them, and I will place My Sanctuary in their midst forever. כו. The temple in jerusalem will be rebuilt and stand forever

27. And My dwelling place shall be over them, and I will be to them for a God, and they shall be to Me as a people. כז.

28. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord, Who sanctifies Israel, when My Sanctuary is in their midst forever." The temple in jerusalem will be rebuilt and stand forever

Kolibri

Expectations as documented in the Christian Greek Scriptures
Matthew 22:41-45 records the religious leaders as expecting the Messiah to be a descendant of King David.
Matthew 2:3-6 has the chief priests and scribes quoting Micah 5:2 about them expecting the Messiah to be born in Bethlehem of Judea.
- John 7:41,42 show that even some of the common people expected this.
John 6:14 quotes the people asking if Jesus was the Prophet of Deuteronomy 18:18.
- Acts 3:22,23 indicates that Peter knew that even religious opposers of the day understood Deuteronomy 18:18 as Messianic.
- John 4:19,25,29 has the Samaritan woman by the well disclosing that she thought the Messiah would be a prophet.
John 7:31 has people expecting the Messiah to preform signs.
There is evidence from these books that what was expected was not universal.
John 7:27 quotes people that did not know of Micah 5:2.
John 1:20,21 and John 7:40,41 show that some believed the Christ and the Prophet to be two different people.
Unrealized Expectations
Luke 2:38 agrees with scholars that people were waiting for Jerusalem's deliverance.
- John 6:15 because of this expectation people tried to make Jesus a king but he refused.
- Matthew 11:3; Luke 7:18-23 documents John the Baptizer's question and Jesus' response suggesting the Jews wanted something more than what he was giving them at the time.
- Luke 24:21 and Acts 1:6 shows that even his disciples had expected Jesus to deliver Israel by siting on Jehovah's throne as David's son at that time.

The Jews wanted Daniel 7:13,14. Those that accept Jesus as the promised Messiah may recognize that the Jews got Zechariah 9:9 and that Daniel 7:13,14 would have to wait.

Last edited: