• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the point in creating the universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaybu

So the questions are:

1. Once in Heaven, can you sin? If not, you have no free will.
2. If yes, can you be banned from Heaven for having sin? If yes, then salvation is not eternal and chances are, one by one, over an eternity, we will all be banned.
3. If no, then God is in for a very rough ride as everyone can curse him with impunity.

Since God is all-knowing, and surely knows the answers to 1,2,3, then what was the point in creating the universe?

rusra02

Premium Member
So the questions are:

2. If yes, can you be banned from Heaven for having sin? If yes, then salvation is not eternal and chances are, one by one, over an eternity, we will all be banned.
3. If no, then God is in for a very rough ride as everyone can curse him with impunity.

Since God is all-knowing, and surely knows the answers to 1,2,3, then what was the point in creating the universe?

1. Not everyone goes to heaven, according to the Bible. Jesus said the meek would inherit the Earth. (Matthew 5:3) I believe free will is a gift God gives to all his intelligent creatures, one he will not take away.
2. Those counted worthy of eternal life will have been thoroughly tested and proved faithful. (1 Peter 1:6,7) Further, God can read hearts. (Proverbs 17:3) Jehovah knew, for example, that Jesus would prove faithful under test. So I believe those to whom God grants everlasting life will never willfully sin against him, as did Adam and Eve.
3. Millions of perfect angels have served Jehovah for untold eons of time. No one can defy the true God with impunity, IMO.

As to the point in God's creating the universe, I believe it was God's love that moved him to share the joy of life with creatures endowed with intelligence, and made in God's image. (1 John 4:8)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There's a difference between 'can' and 'can, but having absolutely no inclination'.

If one sees sin as a state of being, not an act, yes; one cannot have an act.

Why?

Depends on whom you ask.

For me:

1, 2: No concept of "sin".
3: What?

So the only thing I can answer is the title, "What was the point in creating the universe?" -- the answer is: to experience existence in a myriad of ways.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What was the point in creating the universe? The Great Cosmic Buffoon wanted something to laugh at.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't follow the many philosophical and theological assumptions demanded of the OP, so I really cannot answer any of the questions as they do not apply to me. However...

... better question, perhaps: why do you humans incessantly demand that there must be a point, particularly one that your limited powers can understand?

zaybu

2. Those counted worthy of eternal life will have been thoroughly tested and proved faithful. (1 Peter 1:6,7) Further, God can read hearts. (Proverbs 17:3) Jehovah knew, for example, that Jesus would prove faithful under test. So I believe those to whom God grants everlasting life will never willfully sin against him, as did Adam and Eve.

If God already knows who will go to heaven, then why bother with creating a universe, put people in it just to see who will qualify for heaven when he already knows the answer? Might as well create those people and put them into heaven, and skip the whole dreary trial of earth life.

Last edited:

zaybu

There's a difference between 'can' and 'can, but having absolutely no inclination'.

You`ll be there for an eternity. You really think during that eternal time you will never slip and then sin?? Chances are you will, and everyone will and end up in hell.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
If God already knows who will go to heaven, then why bother with creating a universe, put people in it just to see who will qualify for heaven when he already knows the answe? Might as well create those people and put them into heaven, and skip the whole dreary trial of earth life.

If you think life is dreary, what do you imagine endless worship in heaven must be?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If the universe wasn't created, then we would have never come into existence, and would never have been able to invent god in the first place.

zaybu

If you think life is dreary, what do you imagine endless worship in heaven must be?

More reason why my questions are pertinent. In an eternity of worshipping, anyone will slip and then curse. As one by one are casted into hell, who will be left to do the worshipping?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You`ll be there for an eternity. You really think during that eternal time you will never slip and then sin?? Chances are you will, and everyone will and end up in hell.

Again, I don't believe in sin (nor do I believe in Hell), but even if I did: yes, I do believe it could be possible to go all eternity without 'slipping up'; you're going about this from a mortal, human standpoint, where this is generally not seen to be the case in Heaven.

Besides, if one comes from a Christian perspective, that debt (sin) has already been paid, is it not?

zaybu

Again, I don't believe in sin (nor do I believe in Hell), but even if I did: yes, I do believe it could be possible to go all eternity without 'slipping up';

Wow, that would be like winning the lottery every time you play. Yes, it's possible like it's possible I'll wake up tomorrow on planet Mars, but very unlikely.

you're going about this from a mortal, human standpoint, where this is generally not seen to be the case in Heaven.

Are there any other point of view than the human point of view?

Besides, if one comes from a Christian perspective, that debt (sin) has already been paid, is it not?

Well, the original sin has been paid if you are baptised, but still, your ticket to heaven is conditional on your best behavior in this life.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Wow, that would be like winning the lottery every time you play. Yes, it's possible like it's possible I'll wake up tomorrow on planet Mars, but very unlikely.
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but whatever floats your boat.

Are there any other point of view than the human point of view?
Plenty, I'm sure.

Well, the original sin has been paid if you are baptised, but still, your ticket to heaven is conditional on your best behavior in this life.
Not within Protestant circles, it's not: one is traditionally believed to be saved from sin by faith alone -- from the Protestant doctrine of sola fide.

And there are denominations who do not believe in original sin, and others who see it massively different to the way you are seeing it.

rusra02

Premium Member
If God already knows who will go to heaven, then why bother with creating a universe, put people in it just to see who will qualify for heaven when he already knows the answer? Might as well create those people and put them into heaven, and skip the whole dreary trial of earth life.

God didn't create man to live in heaven. He placed him upon earth as his home in a paradise, and gave him the task of extending that paradise earthwide. It was only when man rebelled against God that life became a dreary existence, ending in death. At least that is what I read in my Bible.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Methinks your concept of God could do with some work

We've all got to start somewhere? :shrug:

Though I am skeptical that the motive of our OP is to develop a more well-reasoned god-concept and accompanying theology. It seems we are meant to engage in the exercise of poking holes in a single limited interpretation of Christian (?) theology and not move past that?

Status
Not open for further replies.