• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the nature of Jesus?

BadDog

BadDog
The flesh nature of the Messiah is stressed throught scripture. It is not a disguise. It is not a deceit or false doctrine. Although Jesus was the center point of the Creator's plan and intended from the beginning, Jesus did not exist as a living sentient being until he was born of Mary. The human nature (flesh nature) of Christ is absolutely essential for his role, his victory and the path he has created for other to follow.
Deut 18v15-18, Moses addresses the nation of Israel before his death about the coming Messiah. This prophecy is directly quoted of Jesus in Acts 3v22.

We read of the promise that God would "raise up" (not desend) a prophet.

Romans 1v1-3, ....... Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh. Paul is not telling people about a triune God. Or that Jesus is God.

Psalm 89v19 and verses 26-33 of this Psalm clearly confirm verse 19 should be understood in reference to the Messiah. Here the Messiah is chosen "out of the people". We read that God will "make him" His firtborn.

1 Cor. 15v21-22 We are cautioned to understand that the resurrection came by man.

Hebrews 2v16-17. Jesus was made like his brethren in every respect. Once again, Jesus had an origin. He was made (not re-made)

2 John 1 "For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist."

Jesus is the co-inheritor of God with us. One cannot inherit himself, as would be the case if we accept the concept of the trinity. And he also needed salvation.

Jesus never once expresses to his disciples that he is really God masquerading as a human being. Why would that be..... if that understanding was the truth? Jesus tells everyone he gave up his LIFE (not just his disguise body or his fake human nature charade). An immortal cannot die, therefore, if Christ were an immortal claiming he was sacrificing his life and not just a mortal disguise, then he lied. If we accept the doctrine of the trinity we most conclude that Jesus could not possibly give up a life that was immortal but had to be limited to only shedding the painful and very limited mortal shell he had temporarily inhabited, just like an overcoat.

If we accept the notion of the trinity we are forced to accept the fact that God misrepresented Himself constantly about being a man and being mortal and having the capacity to sin and actualy dying and sacrificing His life and coming back from the dead. ... when God states that He is incaplable of being seen by mortal men, of being tempted or dying. If we limit the greatness of the Creator to humanity, we are diminishing the glory of God and making God a reflection of ourselves, as well as rendering the challenges of Jesus and his victory as utterly shallow and meaningless. Every form of false doctrine elevates mortal man and degrades our Creator.
yes, Jesus was a man of flesh, who became a human being when he entered the world over 2000 years ago. But He has always existed. You cannot become God. By its very nature, to be God one must be outside time and space. Jesus created all that has come into being, and withouit Him nothing came into being that has come into being. (John 1). In Colossians 1 we read that He created all things.

In John 1:1-4 we read that Jesus was "in the beginning," an obvious intent to refer to Genesis 1. It also says that the Word (Jesus, the Son) was with (PROS - in close intiment proximity) the Father (God - QEOS) and that the Word (Jesus, come in the flesh - see 1:14) was God. It does not say "a God." Actually, the Greek does not have an indefinite article ("a" or "an"). And it had not been that long since the indefinite pronoun had evolved into the definite article. The point is simply that the article in Greek was used much differently than we use it today in English. When an article is present, identification is in general intended, and when it is absent, in general the quality or characteristics is intended. In other Word, "what God was the Word was" is perhaps the best translation, according to Moffett.

Now Jesus is "the firstborn of a;; creation," you will perhaps quote me. Buit remember the idea there is that Jesus, as the firstborn, receives a double inheritance. Wee can receive that some blessing if we serve Him faithfully. Romans 8:16, 17 makes that clear.

So then, Jesus, the Son of God, was always God. But He became a human being ("the Son of Man").

Well, unfortunately, since I am a teacher, I can't spend anymore time here. I'll try to find some time to respond to comments later. If you're interested in a sound handling of John 1:1c, you should look up the translation note for it in the NET Bible.

BadDog

AllanV

yes, Jesus was a man of flesh, who became a human being when he entered the world over 2000 years ago. But He has always existed. You cannot become God. By its very nature, to be God one must be outside time and space. Jesus created all that has come into being, and withouit Him nothing came into being that has come into being. (John 1). In Colossians 1 we read that He created all things.

In John 1:1-4 we read that Jesus was "in the beginning," an obvious intent to refer to Genesis 1. It also says that the Word (Jesus, the Son) was with (PROS - in close intiment proximity) the Father (God - QEOS) and that the Word (Jesus, come in the flesh - see 1:14) was God. It does not say "a God." Actually, the Greek does not have an indefinite article ("a" or "an"). And it had not been that long since the indefinite pronoun had evolved into the definite article. The point is simply that the article in Greek was used much differently than we use it today in English. When an article is present, identification is in general intended, and when it is absent, in general the quality or characteristics is intended. In other Word, "what God was the Word was" is perhaps the best translation, according to Moffett.

Now Jesus is "the firstborn of a;; creation," you will perhaps quote me. Buit remember the idea there is that Jesus, as the firstborn, receives a double inheritance. Wee can receive that some blessing if we serve Him faithfully. Romans 8:16, 17 makes that clear.

So then, Jesus, the Son of God, was always God. But He became a human being ("the Son of Man").

Well, unfortunately, since I am a teacher, I can't spend anymore time here. I'll try to find some time to respond to comments later. If you're interested in a sound handling of John 1:1c, you should look up the translation note for it in the NET Bible.

BadDog

In the experience of God and an immortal nature it was a comparison test.
All the aspects and traits in my nature with its personality could be compared point by point with another. The difference is able to be understood from the perspective of my own mind with all flaws.

This is what it is about. Jesus had to overcome at every point to make a nature and mind that is acceptable to God and will be energized by God. This will lead to immortality.
God is an energizing Spirit and cannot be quantified or described or comprehended.
Jesus, the nature and mind is the bridge and conduit that gives access to the energizing power of God.

Some notes on the study of THE MASHACH-MASHIACH-CHRIST-THE ANOINTING

Mashach is the verb meaning to anoint and Mashiach means the one anointed.

YHWH-YaH a Spirit anointed the mortal man Jesus with the Mashiach-Christ which made it possible for God to be with the mortal Jesus ( Acts 7:9 ), but that anointing known as Mashiach-Christ- died with Jesus. Died in the sense that the dead body of the mortal flesh known as Jesus had no anointing for three days.

DIGRESSING FOR A MOMENT:.........................
God-Elohim was with Jesus
(Acts 10:38 KJV) How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

YHWH-YaH was with Joseph
(Acts 7:9 KJV) And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him,

Jesus nor Joseph were YHWH-YaH but YHWH-YaH was with them.

STUDY CONTINUED:
(Heb 9:27 KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

You could say that during the time Jesus was dead he was no longer Mashiach-Christ-the anointed Jesus since as a mortal he had died once (Heb 9:27) and was dead three days; but who then was that preaching to the imprisoned spirits in 1 Peter 3:18?

Jesus' Mashiach-Christ his anointing spirit was made alive by God-Elohim ( 1 Peter 3:18)

It was the Mashiach-the spirit Christ who was quickened-made alive by Elohim-God a Spirit ( John 4:24) and this was before Jesus was quickened and resurrected bodily on the third day by God, as the heavenly Second man. (1 Tim 2:5 and 1 Cor 15:47-48).

The Last Adam Jesus the heavenly Second man with his quickened Mashiach-Christ-spirit is still called Jesus Christ or Christ Jesus the Son of Elohim-God ( John 20:31) by the saints.
Jesus the heavenly Second man, in heaven, said in the Hebrew language his name was Jesus of Nazareth.
(Acts 22:8 KJV) And I answered, Who art thou, Master? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.

VERSES FOR THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH
(1 Pet 3:18 KJV) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

(1 Pet 3:19 KJV) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

(1 Tim 2:5 KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the (resurrected second ) man Mashiach-Christ Jesus;

(1 Cor 15:47 KJV) The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Master from heaven.

(1 Cor 15:48 KJV) As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

(John 20:31 KJV) But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Life in his name Mashiach-Christ who was quickened by God a Spirit so that the spirit Christ could preach the name of Christ Jesus to the imprisoned spirits who believed and were resurrected coming out of their graves (Matt. 27:52-53) on the 3rd day with Jesus when God raised him from the dead.

(Mat 27:52 KJV) And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

(Mat 27:53 KJV) And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

GOD RAISED JESUS FROM THE DEAD
(Acts 2:32 KJV) This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

(Acts 4:10 KJV) Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

(Acts 10:40 KJV) Him God raised up the third day, and showed him openly;

(Acts 13:30 KJV) But God raised him from the dead:

(Acts 13:37 KJV) But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

willyah

Last edited:

BadDog

BadDog
All the aspects and traits in my nature with its personality could be compared point by point with another. The difference is able to be understood from the perspective of my own mind with all flaws.

This is what it is about. Jesus had to overcome at every point to make a nature and mind that is acceptable to God and will be energized by God. This will lead to immortality.
God is an energizing Spirit and cannot be quantified or described or comprehended.
Jesus, the nature and mind is the bridge and conduit that gives access to the energizing power of God.

Allan,

Well, I agree that Jesus is the source for accessing the Father, and faith in Him will result in immortality. But Jesus is God. We are not and can never become God. This is an important distinction to keep in mind. I have seen many Arian arguments regarding Christ, including Sir Isaac Newton, who was very interested in pursuing spiritual things. He may have been a genius, but he got this wrong IMO. If Jesus Christ is not God, then our faith is in vain.

Earlier I said that a good translation of John 1:1c is “and what God was the Word was.” Colwell’s Rule is often used here by trinitarian translators and theologians to support translating the anarthrous θεός (QEOS) as definite (“God”) rather than indefinite (“a god”) here. Actually, Colwell’s Rule only permits, and does not demand, that a predicate nominative followed by an equating verb ("is" "was" etc.) can be translated as definite rather than indefinite. But we should not be quick to say that the traditional rendering of this phrase is translated in error. And perhaps "and the Word was God" is the best translation here.

But in my opinion one thing that we can demand is the understanding that the anarthrous (no definite article) predicate noun usually indicates a qualitative nuance when placed before the equative verb ("was"). A definite meaning for the term is the traditional rendering: “the word was God.” Context makes it difficult to see the translation as indefinite ("and the Word was a god") very likely. Linguistically one thing that is clear is that, in general, an anarthrous case should be translated with a qualitative aspect to θεός in John 1:1c. We would need context to lead us to an indefinite translation ("and the Word was a god").

The NEB, Moffatt, NET and a couple other translations IMO got it best by translating in such a way that it was clear that the Word was fully deity in essence (just as much God as God the Father) - thus capturing the qualitative aspect. Moffett had, “and the Word was divine,” which does not work that well since “divine” is not used in contemporary English exclusively of God. Otherwise that would probably be the best way to translate the phrase. The translation “what God was the Word was,” which the NET Bible has, is IMO a very good translation since it conveys that everything God was in essence, the Word was as well. That translates with a "qualitative" focus which I think is best here.

So then God (the Father) is one in essence with the Son. But please do not equate them as one and the same Person!

There seems to be much confusion regarding the meaning of the trinity. Some see it as One God appearing in various forms or modes (modalism), which does not agree with scripture. Others see it as three Gods, rather than just one! The biblical idea is that there is one God. yet there are three distinct persons of the godhead. This comes from just taking what is clear in scripture. Remember, we should not try to make God make sense from a human perspective... He is God.

The key issue here is that the Son is fully God. If we do not accept this, we do not believe in the Christ of the Bible.

I will have a little more to share later about the use of the predicate nominative in koine Greek, and why it was not possible to have an article before QEOS in John 1:1c and not have nonsense. (But to include it here would make this post longer than it is already!) If we did include an article before both the Word (LOGOS) and God (QEOS), that would be modalism. So keeping this in mind, that John could not place an article before QEOS or else he would be saying that there was one essence and one person as well, we must then deal with whether John intended an indefinite or qualitative meaning here. I think the context makes it very clear:

John 1: 6 - 18 A man came, sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that everyone might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify about the light. The true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world came into being by him, but the world did not recognize him. He came to what was his own, but his own people did not receive him. But to all who have received him – those who believe in his name – he has given the right to become God’s children – children not born by human parents or by human desire or a husband’s decision, but by God.

Now the Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We saw his glory – the glory of the one and only, full of grace and truth, who came from the Father. John testified about him and shouted out, “This one was the one about whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is greater than I am, because He existed before me.’” For we have all received from his fullness one gracious gift after another. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came about through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. The only one, Himself God, who is in closest fellowship with the Father, has made God known.​

Is not this context clear? Colossians has much to say on this as well as Hebrews 1:

Colossians 1:15-20 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation, for all things in heaven and on earth were created by him – all things, whether visible or invisible, whether thrones or dominions, whether principalities or powers – all things were created through him and for him.

He himself is before all things and all things are held together in him. He is the head of the body, the church, as well as the beginning, the firstborn from among the dead, so that he himself may become first in all things. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in the Son and through him to reconcile all things to himself by making peace through the blood of his cross – through him, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Colossians 2:9, 10 For in him all the fullness of deity lives in bodily form, and you have been filled in him, who is the head over every ruler and authority.​

"All the fulness of deity lives in Christ in bodily form." Seems obvious to me. Also we see that all things that came into existence came into existence through the Son, and that He maintains the universe. Is the Son not performing the duties that one would expect from deity?

Hebrews 1:1-3 After God spoke long ago in various portions and in various ways to our ancestors through the prophets, in these last days he has spoken to us in a son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he created the world. The Son is the radiance of his glory and the representation of his essence, and he sustains all things by his powerful word, and so when he had accomplished cleansing for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.​

The Son is "the radiance of Hos glory and the representation of His essence."

The Jesus of the Bible is in essence God. If we study the NT carefully, it is difficult to come to any other natural conclusion, interpreting the Bible texts as they naturally read. It may be difficult to easily and coherently describe all that the Bible says regarding the Son. But that He is God is clear, as I see it. We should start there.

Catch you guys later.

BadDog

AllanV

At 26 years an experience of God energized and my mind was opened to a pattern that lays the foundation for all creation, that is every thing seen is made to appear.
The understanding is this foundation and pattern is spoken into place. This is the word and the word became flesh and dwelt amongst us.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

At that time I woke one morning on my back, opened my eyes and a full color hand was above my head and then faded from view.
For three years whole complete concepts would fill my thoughts with no effort.
!4 years later while fasting I was lead through an experience of being in, or a partaker of the divine nature.
This nature is more gentle and pure and perfect than a human could imagine. It is not an emotionally charged display. God will fully energize this nature.

The scriptures are more about the method of entry into a sanctuary a Holy Place that is unable to be comprehended in the mind with out some preparation.
The way in is opened up progressively as forward momentum it taken during a fast.

The tendency is to make the scriptures an intellectual exercise rather realizing the method and then taking the steps toward the new nature.
It is more comfortable to keep the old nature inherited from Adam. This influenced by the hidden traits and aspects of the personality held in place by an adversarial spirit that prompts and tempts.