• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What version of the bible do you find most accurate?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
This thread's about what version is
The best to use in Bible quiz,
Perhaps you would be so kind as to explaining just how this, the Opening Post, has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with Bible quizzes:
I was raised on the NKJ version. I was surprised when the Head of the Religious Studies program at my college (a lifelong christian and PhD in said topic) said that the NIV version is probably the most accurate translation of the bible in current use, and the King James version is by a wide margin the least accurate. There are numerous reasons given to support both conclusions, that I'm sure if this get's responded to people will touch on.

But anyway, I cannot speak or read any of the languages that the earliest copies of the bible we have are written in; I cannot confirm this one way or the other. So what version do you all think is the most accurate? What is your reasoning behind your answer?

Not whether those who hear their Lord
Speak to them when they have adored
Are right or wrong in what they do.
So take a look at what's in view
And then consider whether I
Provide a version worth the try.
The Beloved and I, vols. 1-4 at lulu.com/ThomasMcElwain
I suspect that either you are confusing this thread with some other thread or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Balls in your court now.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explaining just how this, the Opening Post, has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with Bible quizzes:

I suspect that either you are confusing this thread with some other thread or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Balls in your court now.

The title of the thread is which
Bible version found stich by stich*
Is the most accurate in pitch.

You seem to confuse this thread with
One that exists only in myth
Where arrogance may rule the day
Among the jousters out to play.

I answer the query by saying
I have produced a version** staying
Within the bounds. But you I fear
Have not a clue on how to steer.

Keep your "balls" in your pants and write
Only when you've something in sight.

*The word stich is used here in a witty mispronunciation, successfully or not, and does not evidence confusion on the part of the writer any more than the earlier use of the word quiz.
**The Beloved and I: The New Jubilees Version of Sacred Scripture in Verse with Verse Commentary, vols. 1-4, lulu.com/ThomasMcElwain, which is relevant to the issue of relative accuracy of Bible translations.

Last edited:

Balls in your court now.

O sancta simplicitas! Ignore my previous undeserved response.

McBell

The title of the thread is which
Bible version found stich by stich*
Is the most accurate in pitch.

You seem to confuse this thread with
One that exists only in myth
Where arrogance may rule the day
Among the jousters out to play.

I answer the query by saying
I have produced a version staying
Within the bounds. But you I fear
Have not a clue on how to steer.

Keep your "balls" in your pants and write
Only when you've something in sight.

*The word stich is used here in a witty mispronunciation, successfully or not, and does not evidence confusion on the part of the writer any more than the earlier use of the word quiz.
So I take it you cannot explain how the OP has anything to do with Bible quizzes?

So I take it you cannot explain how the OP has anything to do with Bible quizzes?

The original question was whether the NIV is more accurate than the KJV and why, with the implication that there may be other versions better than both in terms of accuracy. Obviously, the accuracy of the Bible version referred to is relevant to Bible quizzes.
However, Bible quizzes are not the issue. You have a purple heart for producing many posts. Perhaps you have written so many so quickly that you have got in the habit of responding before grasping the issue. The issue is to compare the accuracy of various Bible translations. I have referred to one.
But the question of whether the KJV or the NIV is more accurate is really not the best one to ask, and a Ph.D. should have have more discrimination than to argue that one is more accurate than the other. Two issues are foremost: 1) the textual basis for the translation (NIV uses later discoveries and a broader textual base) and 2) the translation principles applied, formal equivalency in the case of the KJV and dynamic equivalency in the case of the NIV. Choice of translation will not be made on the basis of accuracy, but on the basis of how one relates to textual criticism and modes of translation. Those issues are dealt with already on the first page of this thread.

Last edited:

McBell

The original question was whether the NIV is more accurate than the KJV and why, with the implication that there may be other versions better than both in terms of accuracy. Obviously, the accuracy of the Bible version referred to is relevant to Bible quizzes.
However, Bible quizzes are not the issue. You have a purple heart for producing many posts. Perhaps you have written so many so quickly that you have got in the habit of responding before grasping the issue. The issue is to compare the accuracy of various Bible translations. I have referred to one.
But the question of whether the KJV or the NIV is more accurate is really not the best one to ask, and a Ph.D. should have have more discrimination than to argue that one is more accurate than the other. Two issues are foremost: 1) the textual basis for the translation (NIV uses later discoveries and a broader textual base) and 2) the translation principles applied, formal equivalency in the case of the KJV and dynamic equivalency in the case of the NIV. Choice of translation will not be made on the basis of accuracy, but on the basis of how one relates to textual criticism and modes of translation. Those issues are dealt with already on the first page of this thread.
Ah.
So basically it is nothing more than your attempt at poetry which has led to a misunderstanding.

Gotcha.

Ah.
So basically it is nothing more than your attempt at poetry which has led to a misunderstanding.

Gotcha.

It might be best to take a look at my "attempt at poetry" before dismissing it as leading to misunderstanding. If we take clarity as criterion rather than accuracy, we can compare the verse I posted (see post 198) with the KJV and see whether one is more understandable than the other.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]27 It happened when noon came Elijah[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Made fun of them and said “Don’t hide you,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Yell louder, since he is a god,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Maybe he’s talking for a prod,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or hunting or on a long trip,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or maybe he’s asleep, some lip[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Will wake him up, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]so rant and rip.” 1 Kings 18:27 NJV

(1Ki 18:27) And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. KJV

They seem equally understandable to me.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

McBell

It might be best to take a look at my "attempt at poetry" before dismissing it as leading to misunderstanding. If we take clarity as criterion rather than accuracy, we can compare the verse I posted (see post 198) with the KJV and see whether one is more understandable than the other.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]27 It happened when noon came Elijah[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Made fun of them and said “Don’t hide you,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Yell louder, since he is a god,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Maybe he’s talking for a prod,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or hunting or on a long trip,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or maybe he’s asleep, some lip[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Will wake him up, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]so rant and rip.” 1 Kings 18:27 NJV

(1Ki 18:27) And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. KJV

They seem equally understandable to me.
[/FONT]
One would have thought, what with all your self proclaimed superior intelligence, that you would be able to keep better track of the conversation.

Here is the in question:
This thread's about what version is
The best to use in Bible quiz,
Not whether those who hear their Lord
Speak to them when they have adored
Are right or wrong in what they do.
So take a look at what's in view
And then consider whether I
Provide a version worth the try.
The Beloved and I, vols. 1-4 at lulu.com/ThomasMcElwain
Here we can clearly see that your attempt at poetry has cause the misunderstanding concerning this thread and Bible quizzes.

One would have thought, what with all your self proclaimed superior intelligence, that you would be able to keep better track of the conversation.

Here is the in question:Here we can clearly see that your attempt at poetry has cause the misunderstanding concerning this thread and Bible quizzes.

I don't remember telling you
I am superior in view
Of intellect, but thanks a lot
For sharing your view that I've got
More than my share of wit and mind.
But you are simply wrong or blind.
The thread's about Bible translation
And whether any's worth elation.

McBell

I don't remember telling you
I am superior in view
Of intellect, but thanks a lot
For sharing your view that I've got
More than my share of wit and mind.
But you are simply wrong or blind.
The thread's about Bible translation
And whether any's worth elation.
:biglaugh:

If your poetry was better, the confusion would not have happened in the first place.
Interesting how your attempted poetry causing confusion in your mind makes me blind.

Must be an interesting world you live in.
Perhaps one day i will take a vacation from reality and visit.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jerusalem Bible.

I like reading it in the form of a novel much more than the traditional verse structure.

I haven't read this version. I have heard people read from it and it sounded pretty good. I suppose it is a paraphrase in a way though and thereby not as accurate.