• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what should I say my religion is?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'd like some help please:

I have recently began identifying as a Henotheistic Christian (see my new signature to see what that means!)

I now have explicit beliefs about the Godhead/Holy Trinity rather than just subscribing to various vague and mystical notions, as I did before...

However, I believe my faith has some Hindu characteristics too:
  • I believe in more than one deity (although I only worship three deities)
  • I believe this reality is an illusory - like the concept “Maya”
  • I believe in reincarnation, to an extent
  • I believe it is possible to exit the cycle of reincarnation
  • I believe there is a system of Karma in effect
My question: How should I describe myself, to acknowledge these influences whilst maintaining a primarily Christian identity? And whilst not claiming to be a Hindu, which is something I’m not.

I don't want to "culturally appropriate" Hinduism either, that would be wrong

But I want my specified religion on RF to represent what I actually believe!

Or do you think there is no need to acknowledge these aspects of my faith?

Any suggestions?

I'm stuck, I need some help :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You seem to be on a journey of seeking who you are @Eddi, and a question that arise for me reading your posts lately is : maybe eddi do not need to identify by a religion right now? Maybe just have "seeker" as the sign.

Then again, what are you seeking? Confirmation from God? Are you seeking the "who am I" question?
Could you be content with whom you are right now? Or is the seeking actually more about trying to fit in to a norm?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You seem to be on a journey of seeking who you are
I think it would be more accurate to say that I'm on a journey seeking what I am :)

Then again, what are you seeking? Confirmation from God? Are you seeking the "who am I" question?
Could you be content with whom you are right now? Or is the seeking actually more about trying to fit in to a norm?
I feel as though I understand who and what I am

My issue lately has been deciding what my label should be

People say labels are not important

But I disagree

People need to have labels

It's human nature to want to label ourselves and each other!

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I have recently began identifying as a Henotheistic Christian (see my new signature to see what that means!)

I now have explicit beliefs about the Godhead/Holy Trinity rather than just subscribing to various vague and mystical notions, as I did before...

My question: How should I describe myself, to acknowledge these influences whilst maintaining a primarily Christian identity? And whilst not claiming to be a Hindu, which is something I’m not.

Any suggestions?

Dear Eddi

Since faith-labelling is not always a straightforward thing, I’d ask; do you feel a strong need to acknowledge all aspects of your faith to others and if so, why...?
Perhaps it is enough to know them yourself, so that if someone asks you in context to a comment you make, you can sort of clarify then...?

Humbly
Hermit

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
do you feel a strong need to acknowledge all aspects of your faith to others and if so, why...?
I want my personal identity to be clear and well defined so that people can know what I am

I think it's human nature to want others to know what you identify as

Personally, I consider this important

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Any suggestions?

"Religion" and "belief system" don't mean the same thing.

"Religion" speaks to community. Is there a faith community you belong to, even if you don't all hold the same beliefs?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
"Religion" and "belief system" don't mean the same thing.

"Religion" speaks to community. Is there a faith community you belong to, even if you don't all hold the same beliefs?
Yes, you are entirely right, thanks for the clarity

My religious affiliation is with a certain Protestant denomination

But I think that within the context of RF, "religion" covers belief system too

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I want my personal identity to be clear and well defined so that people can know what I am/... .../Personally, I consider this important

That was a very interesting response - in lots of different ways; do you not think...?

And, if it’s important to you, it’s important to you. Surely, lots of people here will advise you well.

Humbly
Hermit

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How should I describe myself, to acknowledge these influences whilst maintaining a primarily Christian identity? And whilst not claiming to be a Hindu, which is something I’m not.
You have a lot in common with New Age movements, however if you wish for Christians to think of you as a Christian you are at our mercy in that. You don't automatically count (for most Christians). For me you do. You'd not be so lucky where there is concern about hell, because then people would think you were going to hell. What sort of caring person would want another to go to hell? Many would feel bound to dissuade you from that course That is up to you though. If your label is important, then its important. I think its "Mostly New Age," but I don't advise wearing it on a t-shirt. There's no need to label yourself as far as I'm concerned.

What New Agers Believe

You seem to differ from New Age in that you don't think the universe is God. Other than that I see a lot of similarities.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To build on the opinion of @Brickjectivity ... I've been studying a great deal about New Age myself and one difference is that Christianity seems to like organization to their religion, like being conservative, fellowship with the church body, and listening to for lack of better words, church tradition and church dogma.

With New Age, they pretty much try to shed this, seeing individuality as more important.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You have a lot in common with New Age movements, however if you wish for Christians to think of you as a Christian you are at our mercy in that. You don't automatically count (for most Christians). For me you do. You'd not be so lucky where there is concern about hell, because then people would think you were going to hell. What sort of caring person would want another to go to hell? Many would feel bound to dissuade you from that course That is up to you though. If your label is important, then its important. I think its "Mostly New Age," but I don't advise wearing it on a t-shirt. There's no need to label yourself as far as I'm concerned.

What New Agers Believe

You seem to differ from New Age in that you don't think the universe is God. Other than that I see a lot of similarities.
Thank you very much for your reply :)

I've had a look at the link you provided and I don't think it covers me 100% but yes, I suppose if the shoe fits then wear it...

The thing is though, I've always been very wary of the New Age movement and wouldn't want to identify with it!

It makes me think of crystals, and stuff like that

I've always felt I have more in common with the Abrahamic traditions, have always felt more at home with them, perhaps because of my upbringing?

Why exactly would many Christians consider me Hell-bound, might I ask?

I've made Jesus Christ my Lord and accepted him as my saviour and repented my sins - I though that's what mattered? - is that not the essence of Christianity?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
To build on the opinion of @Brickjectivity ... I've been studying a great deal about New Age myself and one difference is that Christianity seems to like organization to their religion, like being conservative, fellowship with the church body, and listening to for lack of better words, church tradition and church dogma.

With New Age, they pretty much try to shed this, seeing individuality as more important.
Interesting!

Maybe Henotheistic Christian Syncretist is a variety of New Age belief?

As I said to Brick, I've always felt somewhat wary of the New Age movement, perhaps because of my upbringing and the type of people I associate with

So perhaps that's an irrational bias I have against it

Audie

Veteran Member

Any suggestions?

You seem ready to believe most anything..
Howabout just call your self a Believer?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I think it would be more accurate to say that I'm on a journey seeking what I am :)

I feel as though I understand who and what I am

My issue lately has been deciding what my label should be

People say labels are not important

But I disagree

People need to have labels

It's human nature to want to label ourselves and each other!
I feel the same way. My religious identity field changes periodically as I strive to find more accurate ways of describing my views. Labels do matter.