• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what should I call myself?

MyM

Labels are important things and when it comes to my religion I am currently unsure what label to attach to myself

I have no idea but I know I want one :D

It's complicated, to say the least

Over the past years my beliefs and religious identity have been somewhat volatile but I think recently things have settled down...

I’d be interested in what RF thinks I could call myself

That is the purpose of this post

Allow me to explain my beliefs:

First of all, I have decided that I believe in a Supreme Being – who is all the “omnis” (omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, etc. etc.) who is the ineffable unmoved mover

I don’t see many compelling reasons to believe in this Supreme Being but I’m willing to make a leap of faith and carry on as though it/he does exist

I call this supreme being “God”

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and if I'm right I'm right...

I also believe that this reality is a computer simulation that is run on computers that exist in the universe that The Supreme Being has created

However, I believe that all the things that are supposed to have happened because of God actually happened because of The Simulation – although I do not deny that such things happened although I doubt that they did. I just don’t think they had anything to do with God:
  • Jesus turning water into wine? – not a miracle, the simulation!
  • Moses parting the sea? - not a miracle, the simulation!
And so on…

For me, there is therefore an extra layer of reality between our reality and the reality of The Supreme Being – a layer which separates us from it/him

I believe that the beings who built the simulation we live in are all ethical monotheists. I reckon that if God is good enough for them then he’s good enough for us - although I don't think those guys are to be worshipped or anything...

But I believe that they wanted us to acquire their God-concept - hence throughout our history they have literally played God to us

However: I believe that the world’s problems are caused by humans – not some kind of Satan

And I believe that the world’s problems will hopefully (and can only ever be) be solved by humans – without the help of any God

I don’t believe in Satan, either. There is zero evidence for him

And I don't believe there is any epic struggle between good and evil

So I don't believe in "spiritual warfare"

Also – I believe in reincarnation and karma, these are very much central to my world view

I don't believe in either Heaven or Hell but I do believe we all have immortal souls

Also, I like the moral and social teachings of Christianity – love they neighbour, do unto others: all that kind of thing!

But was Jesus Lord, Liar, or Loon? I think I'd say neither...????

So, if you were me, what would you call yourself?

hmmm I like your honesty :)

I say you want to believe in the Supreme Being but on your terms only. hmmm so maybe,

Monotheismeee : meaning my belief of the Supreme but according to me.

At least you are beginning to understand the oneness :) just go a bit further and study the religions and find out :)

Good Luck! :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So, if you were me, what would you call yourself?

What I am is more important to me than what others label me or what I label myself.

That said, I don't think there is a named religious group that is aligned with your beliefs, so I think you are free to call yourself whatever you like, so long as it communicates to others what your views are.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a good idea for a major potion picture.

Is this major enough?

61SI1XXhqqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

F1fan

Veteran Member
Because other people have labels :D
To my mind labels identify categories, like male, brown hair, fit, theist, vegan, etc.

It seems murky when people pick labels that their ego can conform to for the sake of enhanced identity. It strikes me as a person being a performer in society and not something simpler.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Is this major enough?

61SI1XXhqqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Don't drink the red Kool-Aid, you'll attack the Capitol, threaten election officials and school teachers, threaten your fellow citizens by refusing masks and vaccines, give billionaires tax cuts so there's no money for infrastructure repairs, make sure the poor stay in their place, and above all, make sure the GOP will win elections with strict voter laws and redistricting.

Blue Kool-Aid? You might end up working for democracy and investing in our future, along with assuring public safety and health, as billionaires pay a bit more in taxes so we can finance our civilization.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
To my mind labels identify categories, like male, brown hair, fit, theist, vegan, etc.

It seems murky when people pick labels that their ego can conform to for the sake of enhanced identity. It strikes me as a person being a performer in society and not something simpler.

I think descriptivist language can be necessary for communication, but when we start picking labels to identify with and define our limitations... It is an all too common mistake, especially where I live, America, since everything here seems to be tied to individual identity.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But remain Objectively unreal.

Yes, I just said something similar elsewhere. But that has no relevance to this discussion, and this happens to be someone's journal thread and not a debate thread.