• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion has the most "style"?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
As the title says.

What religion - in terms of its dress, architecture, art, music and so on - is the most stylish in your opinion?

Personally, all things considered, I would have to go with @Sunstone and his "erotic dancing girls" faith but, failing that.......

Syme-Met-Gala-Rihanna.jpg

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for contributing!

So, what do you find stylish about Islam and why?
I think their places of worship have a lot going for them. I find the Orthodox Christian ones and some RC ones a little gaudy, although they too can be nice; I like how Islam goes for the geometric, abstract styles. And the prayer rugs they use to kneel on can be lovely intricate pieces of work, too. I like how they managed to work with their strict interpretation of 'no depiction of anything living' and still create beauty.

I love listening to a good nasheed every now and then. The a cappella feel is haunting and lovely. This combined with that Arabic is one of my favourite languages and it's like magic for me. The call to prayer can be really something too.

I love how some women have managed to keep modest clothing whilst dressing it up. Some of the veils can be made very pretty, some of the dresses and jewellery are exquisite too.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like Islamic and Christian architecture both. I think you can say a lot about most religions.

But for me, you can't beat Zen for overall aesthetics.

That's ironic, given how often they are pointed to as ascetics of a sort.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Great choices thus far.

@Rival I couldn't agree with you more in respect of the Islamic use of geometry and the abstract (particularly calligraphy) to create stunning visual beauty. And the call of the muezzin is truly haunting and stirring. An example that I like is:

16th_century_Koran_folio_from_Iran_%28detail%29.png

I feel like I could undergo a mystical experience just looking at that exquisite set of patterns.

@Sunstone yep, you can't beat the understated, enigmatic allure of a Zen garden to encourage a state of mindfulness:

Zen-garden.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
@Sunstone yep, you can't beat the understated, enigmatic allure of a Zen garden to encourage a state of mindfulness:

I'm curious if anyone will post in this thread an opinion along the lines of, "Style is a superficial way of looking at religion"? There seems to be a strain of asceticism that runs through most religions. But I'd argue that style can be a key way of communicating things that even art by itself does not quite communicate as well. It seems to me, for instance, that you are spot on the Zen style communicates mindfulness.

Phantasman

I've always found the satanists to have great fashions and sexy females.

Fashion-Kill-13-Hexagon-shirt-e1380972168217.jpg

Since I don't believe or follow religions, I just call them as I see them.

Rehan

Oh, there is so much! Clearly erotic dancing girls and Catholicism is at the top :D but here are a few things I like.

First of all I recommend everyone to Visit the cave of Lascaux and admire the cave paintings. I wish I could visit this place in real life, preferably with as little electric light as possible :p

And I don't know why I have been fascinated with especially Balinese Hindu temples of late. They are without a doubt cool though.

Bali_Pura_Lempuyang_Luhur.jpg

Pura_Lempuyang_Luhur%2C_Gunung_Lempuyang%2C_Bali_%28492102455%29.jpg

And I would like to end with a Quaker meeting house. Probably doesn't suit any reasonable definition of stylish… but it looks very comfy! :oops:

Rehan

I've always found the satanists to have great fashions and sexy females.

Since I don't believe or follow religions, I just call them as I see them.

What about the great schema in Orthodoxy? No pretty ladies, but look pretty hardcore if you ask me :D

6mais98j48qy.jpg

tumblr_m48btjgzfe1qmvtcro1_500.jpg

images

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find resonance with Shinto, probably because the spirit of that religion runs parallel to my own. It is unlikely that most would call it "stylish" as that word evokes flamboyancy and trendiness. I like Shinto aesthetics precisely because they run counter to such things. Their aesthetics are simple and play to natural forms. Everything about the construction of a shrine blends in harmoniously with the environment, a true tribute to the Kami who walk within the lands there.

Kirran

Premium Member
36283352_10214551186046381_1426211089695113216_n.jpg

36224416_10214551200526743_5788416158843535360_n.jpg

Here are photos of a couple pieces in the calligraphy exhibit in the Hagia Sophia (aka Sultanahmet Mosque) in Istanbul. The photos didn't come out so clear, especially the second one, but hopefully they convey the imagery a little at least.