• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What races lived among humans?

Theweirdtophat

By races I mean entirely different races such as giants, dwaves elves, ect. Do you think any races, be it alien or indigenous actually interacted with humans?

In mythology I don't see it as fiction but legend and there is always some truth to legends. Otherwise they wouldn't be legendary in the first place. Perhaps beings from outer space or another dimension, like the Annunaki or other gods came and other races interacted with humans or even interbred with them. Some might be extinct but perhaps some still do exist and are in hiding. After all we haven't explored every square inch of Earth? How do we know there's no intelligent race living in the depths of the cold arctic or underwater or underground in the mountains?

yiostheoy

race 1
(rās)
n.
1. A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the Celtic race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.
5. Biology
a. A usually geographically isolated population of organisms that differs from other populations of the same species in certain heritable traits: an island race of birds.
b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.
adj.
1. Of or relating to race; racial: race relations; race quotas.
2. Of or relating to forms of popular entertainment made by and largely marketed to African Americans in the early 1900s: race literature; race records.
[Middle French rasse, race, lineage, race, from Old Italian razza, probably from Old French haraz, stud farm for horses : Old French *har-, gray, gray-haired (as in French dialectal (Normandy) harousse, nag, old mare; perhaps in reference to the graying of stud horses with age and from Old Norse hārr, gray-haired, hoary; akin to English hoar) or Old French *har-, hair (perhaps in reference to the fact that stud horses are no longer regularly saddled; akin to French dialectal (Norman) har, hair, in monter á har, to ride on hair, ride bareback, from Old Norse hār, hair; akin to English hair) + Old French -az, -as, n. suff. (from Latin -āceus, -aceous).]

This word as you are using it was first coined around the 8th Century AD.

Prior to that time the ancient Greeks used the word ethnoi which means "nations".

So I would say that your question contains a major anachronism and therefore is meaningless.

You might as well be asking how many astronauts there were in ancient China, followed by the fallacy of argument from ignorance that if we don't know can't there be some somewhere ??

Theweirdtophat

Ah.....no.
I don't believe so.

" How do we know there's no intelligent race living in the depths of the cold arctic or underwater or underground in the mountains? "

Whew. That must be some weed you're smoking.

You probably should be somewhere else, as you haven't really answered my question.

If you knew anything about Jehovah or Christianity for that matter, you would have known giants lived among people. We know giant lizards roamed the Earth, but other races are not believable? Seriously?

yiostheoy

You probably should be somewhere else, as you haven't really answered my question.

If you knew anything about Jehovah or Christianity for that matter, you would have known giants lived among people. We know giant lizards roamed the Earth, but other races are not believable? Seriously?
But I did however indeed answer it -- and without the weed either.

You have two logical fallacies -- anachronism and argument from ignorance.

Theweirdtophat

race 1
(rās)
n.
1. A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the Celtic race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.
5. Biology
a. A usually geographically isolated population of organisms that differs from other populations of the same species in certain heritable traits: an island race of birds.
b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.
adj.
1. Of or relating to race; racial: race relations; race quotas.
2. Of or relating to forms of popular entertainment made by and largely marketed to African Americans in the early 1900s: race literature; race records.
[Middle French rasse, race, lineage, race, from Old Italian razza, probably from Old French haraz, stud farm for horses : Old French *har-, gray, gray-haired (as in French dialectal (Normandy) harousse, nag, old mare; perhaps in reference to the graying of stud horses with age and from Old Norse hārr, gray-haired, hoary; akin to English hoar) or Old French *har-, hair (perhaps in reference to the fact that stud horses are no longer regularly saddled; akin to French dialectal (Norman) har, hair, in monter á har, to ride on hair, ride bareback, from Old Norse hār, hair; akin to English hair) + Old French -az, -as, n. suff. (from Latin -āceus, -aceous).]

This word as you are using it was first coined around the 8th Century AD.

Prior to that time the ancient Greeks used the word ethnoi which means "nations".

So I would say that your question contains a major anachronism and therefore is meaningless.

You might as well be asking how many astronauts there were in ancient China, followed by the fallacy of argument from ignorance that if we don't know can't there be some somewhere ??

All of that text and you weren't even close answering my question. Not to mention, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

We know in mythology other beings and species, both animal and intelligent life existed with others. People have mentioned giants, as giant skeletons were found, but I guess people don't bring that up. Or the cone-headed skulls, or the miniature skeletons either. What human do you know looks like that?

yiostheoy

All of that text and you weren't even close answering my question. Not to mention, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

We know in mythology other beings and species, both animal and intelligent life existed with others. People have mentioned giants, as giant skeletons were found, but I guess people don't bring that up. Or the cone-headed skulls, or the miniature skeletons either. What human do you know looks like that?
It does not make sense to you because you have not studied philosophy, logic, or rhetoric.

You asked a rhetorical question.

It contains logical fallacies.

The question is therefore moot.

Theweirdtophat

But I did however indeed answer it -- and without the weed either.

You have two logical fallacies -- anachronism and argument from ignorance.

You're just throwing words around to make yourself sound more intelligent.

Didn't anyone look at the other skeletons of non-humans lying around?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

Show me some artifacts that prove there were giant humans? (that aren't fakes please)
Hobbits? Most likely I suppose.
Giant lizards? You mean fossil remains.
Sure. Fossils are EVIDENCE, no myth or mere speculation, or unsubstantiated
speculation by novices with no educational background.

yiostheoy

Show me some artifacts that prove there were giant humans? (that aren't fakes please)
Hobbits? Most likely I suppose.
Giant lizards? You mean fossil remains.
Sure. Fossils are EVIDENCE, no myth or mere speculation, or unsubstantiated
speculation by novices with no educational background.
The ancient Spartans made the same mistake of confusing fossil mammoth bones with Lycurgus their ancient law-giver.

It was a pretext.

yiostheoy

The key word is ancient. Way before science of any kind thus a bit understandable.
Science itself is a fairly recent invention -- by Galileo when he trained his homemade telescope unto the planet Jupiter and it's 4 largest satellites.

That alone immediately got him in trouble with the Pope.

Today however the Vatican has its own astronomy department with its own telescopes too. Times have changed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In mythology I don't see it as fiction but legend and there is always some truth to legends. Otherwise they wouldn't be legendary in the first place.
Then that's your problem, insisting that myths are legends, and then wanting to treat them as legends. For the life of me I can't figure out why any reasonable person would do so, unless for some reason you need to believe in them. Do you need to believe that myths are true or need them be legends? If so, why? If not, then why do you choose to?

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
By races I mean entirely different races such as giants, dwaves elves, ect. Do you think any races, be it alien or indigenous actually interacted with humans?

In mythology I don't see it as fiction but legend and there is always some truth to legends. Otherwise they wouldn't be legendary in the first place. Perhaps beings from outer space or another dimension, like the Annunaki or other gods came and other races interacted with humans or even interbred with them. Some might be extinct but perhaps some still do exist and are in hiding. After all we haven't explored every square inch of Earth? How do we know there's no intelligent race living in the depths of the cold arctic or underwater or underground in the mountains?

Very interesting question. If you believe what the bible says in Genesis 6 there was a race of giants said to be the offspring of the sons of God and human women that some say was the reason for the biblical flood. Later there was Goliath who had some peculiar defects such as six fingered hands. Other ancient mythology is full of such stories. Today? Hmm. Interesting topic.

Theweirdtophat

Then that's your problem, insisting that myths are legends, and then wanting to treat them as legends. For the life of me I can't figure out why any sane, reasonable person would do so, unless for some reason you need to believe in them. Do you need to believe that myths are true or need them be legends? If so, why? If not, then why do you choose to?

This is the problem. People seem to be under the impression that all of these myths are made up because humans back then I guess had nothing better to do and make them up for no reason? No, there is truth to it. That's what makes a legend. Legends are debatable, fantasy isn't.

I also find it rather unlikely humans who barely knew how stone tools worked all of a sudden had a concept of science, politics and religious practices and nobody even the greatest historians has explained how Sumer came to be. Cavemen who didn't know such things all of a sudden got a concept of civilization and decided to start it? No, there was a force behind it. Why do you think deities are always mentioned as being the teachers of humanity.

People have this materialistic attitude where if the evidence is not there right in front of them, it cannot and must not exist. If I told you way back then giant lizards roamed the Earth, everyone would think I was crazy, but they discovered them didn't they? And we still haven't explored every inch of the Earth. Not even close.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

Occam's Razor. Giants, dwarves, things like that are most likely telephone-game tales of when one tribe met another that happened to be on average much taller, or shorter, than them. It should also be remembered that waaaaaay back then, average height was far, far shorter than today. A "giant" during the bronze age would've been a little over six foot.

Something else you must remember, at least regarding a society of giants; what would they eat?

Flankerl

Well we still got lots of idiots.

After all we haven't explored every square inch of Earth? How do we know there's no intelligent race living in the depths of the cold arctic or underwater or underground in the mountains?

Depths of the arctic: And there they eat what exactly?
Underwater: Same question, they need enough nutrition to form a brain like ours.
Underground: Because its hot there. Like really hot. And again what do they eat?

Neanderthals and "hobbits" (Homo florensis, iirc). Both of those are technically humans, tho.

And you are now literally on the purge list. Congrats.

:)

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Various hominid species, such as neanderthals, non homo sapiens, lived alongside humans at the same time periods, according to archaeologists and anthropologists.