• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What of the new feminist shift that agrees abortion is murder?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think I would consider abortion to be "murder," at least not in the general sense of how "murder" is defined. I suppose if it has to be called something like that, it might be closer to a vicarious form of "suicide."

It seems the abortion rate has actually gone down in the past 10-20 years. With the widespread availability of birth control out there, it would appear that an unwanted pregnancy is something that should be relatively easy to avoid.

As far as it being legal, I think that's pretty much a done deal, as it has been for over 40 years and survived numerous conservative challenges. I don't understand why the religious right expends their (somewhat diminished) political capital on this issue when they might have more success on other fronts.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
As far as it being legal, I think that's pretty much a done deal, as it has been for over 40 years and survived numerous conservative challenges. I don't understand why the religious right expends their (somewhat diminished) political capital on this issue when they might have more success on other fronts.
Being the pro-life party gives them a reliable and motivated voter base. Even if it were impossible to make abortion illegal (which, honestly I'm not as sanguine as you regarding the safety of abortion rights), the Right would still beat that drum because it gets them votes.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
the Right would still beat that drum because it gets them votes.
As opposed to what?
The Left beating the drum against having a police force made up of fallible humans? And not one made up of angels with magical levels of discernment and restraint?
That does get them political support I have noticed.
Tom

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
As opposed to what?
The Left beating the drum against having a police force made up of fallible humans? And not one made up of angels with magical levels of discernment and restraint?
That does get them political support I have noticed.
Tom
I'm not really sure what this has to do with my post.

You wondered why the Right would still expend their political energy on abortion when it's a "done deal". I responded that, even if we accept your premise that it's a "done deal", it is still political expedient to cater to the pro-life voter since it results in motivated people voting for you.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The problem with the abortion debate is that it's driven by false information. People are scared to death by media outlets over the issue.

People are led to believe the following:

-Taxes are used for abortion
-20+ week abortions are common
-PP does no other services
-Pro-choice people think it's ok to murder babies

It just goes on and on with the false information. When people are hearing the same thing from questionable outlets all day long for weeks on end, it's gonna sink in. That's how propaganda works.