• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes the Bible so believable for people?

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
Honestly I can't think of a single thing.

Nobody knows who wrote it, with any degree of certainty. No names of the original authors, nobody knows who was on the Council of Trent , Council of Nicea Etc.

It's obviously been redacted , has incomplete information and has gaps in its narratives. Side-by-side variations are noted in each version of the Bible that exist today to substantiate that is indeed the case.

The Bible clearly is not a divinely inspired collection of books either , evidenced by Christianity's vast and varied amount of denominations and sects, who, to this day remain visibly at odds with ongoing issues over interpretation and meaning, making it clear there's no evidence of any type of guiding hand at play to indicate it now or was ever divinely inspired to begin with at its inception.

There's no real support or proofs to the notion of divine harmonization between one author with another throughout the Testaments over significant periods of time to substantiate any type of harmony exists because each subsequent book could be "harmonized" with each proceeding book by simply reading what each proceeding book said and conveniently changing the subsequent book to "fit" each narrative to uphold the claim that the subsequent authors did not know what the preceding authors wrote making such alleged harmony between books a divine proof a Biblical accuracy and credibility.

Oral tradition is actually worthless. If it wasn't, it could have been used and demonstrated today as a living testament of reliability and accuracy but it isn't for a reason. Obvious reasons.

Hence the requirement for writing something down , and we've seen how effective that can be.

Why would anybody be willing to think the Bible is for one reason or another a proper foundation to base an entire religion on and in cases, people's own lives to point of believability that it would trump logic and science?
Your speculation on the state of bibliology, while (perhaps) trendy, is “outdated,” to be polite. If you want to launch a conversation on this subject, you really need to get your facts more in line with the current state of understanding (from archaeology to textual criticism and beyond). “An Introduction to Bibliology” by Breshears is a good place to start (available on Amazon). If you are not into reading, or need a quick media-fix on the issue, try the punchy Tetelestai video series (also on Amazon, free to Prime users).

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hmm... psychiatric files are full of Messiah Complex cases. Documentation? Corroborative evidence? I’ve studied with a few of the best bible and theological scholars and I’m an expert, but your arguments here have not been “almost 100% correct.” Your assertion doesn’t follow the evidence. You’ll have to provide something else before I’ll buy your claim here.

God told me He would slay you last night, but I intervened in prayer, so there you go. Thank me later.

After all, you keep sticking your finger in the apple of God's eye, me, as God's ambassador (per the scriptures) and a Chosen person (per the scriptures). Feel free to take up more complaints with God.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God told me He would slay you last night, but I intervened in prayer, so there you go. Thank me later.

After all, you keep sticking your finger in the apple of God's eye, me, as God's ambassador (per the scriptures) and a Chosen person (per the scriptures). Feel free to take up more complaints with God.
Yawn.

God told me that God was just messing with your head. God has pinned your intercession to the bulletin board in the break room as comedy relief.

Further, God told me that God made you ambassador as a diversion, and is currently bobbing for apples and eyeballs.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What makes the Bible so believable for people?

I believe only those part of the NT are believable which Jesus said himself and are aligned with the teachings of Moses in the OT and or aligned with Quran.
Right, please.

Regards

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yawn.

God told me that God was just messing with your head. God has pinned your intercession to the bulletin board in the break room as comedy relief.

Further, God told me that God made you ambassador as a diversion, and is currently bobbing for apples and eyeballs.

:)

But, "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord,
But those who deal faithfully are His delight."

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Simple--God told me last night He was going to strike you dead with lightning, and I interceded in prayer for you, He relented. Thank me later.
Hmm, well Athena told me that she was going to kill you in a freak barbecue accident, but I told Her I thought that was excessive and so She changed Her mind.

I guess there's no way to determine who's right, eh?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Sorry How in the, world, does this help your spiritual growth?????

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hmm, well Athena told me that she was going to kill you in a freak barbecue accident, but I told Her I thought that was excessive and so She changed Her mind.

I guess there's no way to determine who's right, eh?

Oh, my friend, "The one who despises the word will be in debt to it,
But the one who fears the commandment will be rewarded."

sojourner

Wow, you must be undergoing some trials, since: "Good understanding produces favor,
But the way of the treacherous is hard."
I require neither your pity nor your counsel. And don’t try to undermine my credibility with an intimation of being my emotionally unstable. Just debate the issues honestly, if you can.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Who witnessed magi talking to Herod?

Who witnessed Jesus praying while everyone was asleep?

Who witnessed Judas having secret meetings with Jewish clergy?

Who witnessed Jesus talking with Satan in the middle of nowhere?

Who witnessed the resurrection (as in, watched a corpse get up and walk out of the tomb)?

That's what I thought.

sojourner

Who witnessed magi talking to Herod?

Who witnessed Jesus praying while everyone was asleep?

Who witnessed Judas having secret meetings with Jewish clergy?

Who witnessed Jesus talking with Satan in the middle of nowhere?

Who witnessed the resurrection (as in, watched a corpse get up and walk out of the tomb)?

That's what I thought.
Problem is, we’re dealing with ancient narratives here. And, from a literary standpoint, the storyteller, or narrator, knows everything. So we’re forced to trust the narrator of these stories. No “corroborative witnesses” are required.