• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes the Bible so believable for people?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I believe God is gender neutral, Spirit. I believe the Bible contains numerous He references to help us recognize the Christ, a male child born miraculously, without sin.
Okay, cool. Thanks for answering the question.

I imagine a spirit would be gender neutral, if such a thing existed.

When atheists behave respectfully toward others, using logic on forums, not ad homs and trumped up charges, when I post once on a new thread without five or six ticked off atheists chirping at me, I will stop believing the Bible's prophetic indications that atheists are angry, bitter, mocking.
Self-fulfilling prophecies tend to work out that way. ;)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If I never answer questions, why persist? Why not put me on ignore?
You've asked me that before and I told you then that I don't put people on ignore. I'm not into stifling differing opinions.

It's because I answer questions, but you care neither for my answers nor for my Socratic replies which make you think before responding yet again with further atheist canards.
It's because you don't answer the question posed. Rather, you twist it into something else, insert word's into other poster's mouths and respond to that instead. It's frustrating.

Put me on ignore since I never answer questions or else admit either my superb logic and apologetics or demons inside skeptics force you to engage with me so frequently!
I don't put people on ignore. I'm not here to ignore people. I'm here to engage in debate and discussion.

onlytruth

Judah was told they would be put into bondage at a certain time,by whom the bondage would come then released at a certain time, by a certain Cyrus the great , then go back home.
this prophesy is back up by a completely different view point of Herodotus of Cyrus's rise to power and the conquest of Babylon, along with the method that would be used to enter the city to conquer it . that is one prophesy started and finished in history.

Kelly of the Phoenix

The commandment not to kill or not to commit adultery, or not to have other gods before the Jewish god were just for example and not binding, then?
Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner .

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Honestly I can't think of a single thing.

Nobody knows who wrote it, with any degree of certainty. No names of the original authors, nobody knows who was on the Council of Trent , Council of Nicea Etc.

It's obviously been redacted , has incomplete information and has gaps in its narratives. Side-by-side variations are noted in each version of the Bible that exist today to substantiate that is indeed the case.

The Bible clearly is not a divinely inspired collection of books either , evidenced by Christianity's vast and varied amount of denominations and sects, who, to this day remain visibly at odds with ongoing issues over interpretation and meaning, making it clear there's no evidence of any type of guiding hand at play to indicate it now or was ever divinely inspired to begin with at its inception.

There's no real support or proofs to the notion of divine harmonization between one author with another throughout the Testaments over significant periods of time to substantiate any type of harmony exists because each subsequent book could be "harmonized" with each proceeding book by simply reading what each proceeding book said and conveniently changing the subsequent book to "fit" each narrative to uphold the claim that the subsequent authors did not know what the preceding authors wrote making such alleged harmony between books a divine proof a Biblical accuracy and credibility.

Oral tradition is actually worthless. If it wasn't, it could have been used and demonstrated today as a living testament of reliability and accuracy but it isn't for a reason. Obvious reasons.

Hence the requirement for writing something down , and we've seen how effective that can be.

Why would anybody be willing to think the Bible is for one reason or another a proper foundation to base an entire religion on and in cases, people's own lives to point of believability that it would trump logic and science?
We know Paul wrote some of it, but why must we know authors for the writings to be believable? Does redaction harm it’s credibility as mythic literature in some way? Is some “complete narrative” necessary? Should there be some sort of “harmonization” between authors of widely different time frames and cultures?

Since the texts will support a myriad valid interpretations, I don’t understand why you’re so surprised that these interpretations have come about, and why you feel that only uniformity indicates inspiration — after all, we are dealing with many different perspectives.

Oral tradition works very well, actually. In fact, we use a whole different part of the brain in hearing words than in reading words. Only if one is looking for the preservation of very exact wording is writing necessary. The Biblical stories existed for HUNDREDS of years before being written down.

Sounds to me as if you’re just frustrated that the Bible is what it is, rather than what you think it ought to be. I don’t understand why all the arbitrary criteria, unless you’re hoping to make it something it was never intended to be.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I do not know of any biblical reference that claims they were perfect either, but it is a common claim among some groups of Christians. It is claimed in an effort to deny evolution or other scientific theories and explain evidence that doesn't make any sense in light of the Genesis creation story.
Doesn't to have a religious claim that is not in the core/book of a religion discredits the core books ?

Regards

sojourner

Doesn't to have a religious claim that is not in the core/book of a religion discredits the core books ?

Regards
No. That would represent a stance of sola scriptura. The texts are not all there is to religion — at least not Xy. For Xy, the texts come out of the Tradition and are part of the Tradition, but are not the Tradition itself.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thanks for self-fulfilling them for me! BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY AND PROVE THE BIBLE WRONG, I dare you.
Self-fulfilling means you fulfilled it yourself. In other words, you see what you are expecting to see. ;)

I've done what goes on here - I've challenged your claims. I will not change that behavior. If you can't handle your claims being challenged, I don't know why you're here.

"When atheists behave respectfully toward others, using logic on forums, not ad homs and trumped up charges, when I post once on a new thread without five or six ticked off atheists chirping at me, I will stop believing the Bible's prophetic indications that atheists are angry, bitter, mocking."
-BilliardsBall

When have I behaved disrespectfully to anyone? When have I not used logic? When have I used ad homs? "Trumped up charges?" I am not angry, nor bitter. Many others here have pointed out the same. You think atheists are all these things, because your Bible tells you we must be. So that's all you see.

Honestly, if anyone seems angry, it's you.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Self-fulfilling means you fulfilled it yourself. In other words, you see what you are expecting to see. ;)

I've done what goes on here - I've challenged your claims. I will not change that behavior. If you can't handle your claims being challenged, I don't know why you're here.

"When atheists behave respectfully toward others, using logic on forums, not ad homs and trumped up charges, when I post once on a new thread without five or six ticked off atheists chirping at me, I will stop believing the Bible's prophetic indications that atheists are angry, bitter, mocking."
-BilliardsBall

When have I behaved disrespectfully to anyone? When have I not used logic? When have I used ad homs? "Trumped up charges?" I am not angry, nor bitter. Many others here have pointed out the same. You think atheists are all these things, because your Bible tells you we must be. So that's all you see.

Honestly, if anyone seems angry, it's you.

I understand, you believe God doesn't exist, and you are not angry at any religious people who adhere to God, but you are pleased to volunteer your time to disprove all we believe here as best you can, daily, instead of living your life more productively--you feel it's best to talk to people on a forum filled with devout apologists for varied faiths. Uh-huh.

sojourner

I understand, you believe God doesn't exist, and you are not angry at any religious people who adhere to God, but you are pleased to volunteer your time to disprove all we believe here as best you can, daily, instead of living your life more productively--you feel it's best to talk to people on a forum filled with devout apologists for varied faiths. Uh-huh.
Aren’t you also voluntarily on a forum? Isn’t everyone here voluntarily on a forum? I don’t see why “being voluntarily on a forum” is suddenly such an Evil Thing?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Stop making claims you can't back up. You claim everyone here is personally attacking you and insulting you and telling you you're stupid and on and on, yet can't provide any evidence of such. All based on your preconceived notion of what an atheist is supposed to be. All because your claims are being challenged. Are you under the impression that everything you say should be accepted as truth, no questions asked, because you quote the Bible? Come on, man.

For the last time, this is a debate forum. If you can't handle your assertions being challenged, then this probably isn't the place for you. I've pointed out that Im here to debate and discuss various topics several times now. Quit inserting your own made up excuses, and maybe just listen instead.

Or course you didn't bother answering my questions. o_O

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Stop making claims you can't back up. You claim everyone here is personally attacking you and insulting you and telling you you're stupid and on and on, yet can't provide any evidence of such. All based on your preconceived notion of what an atheist is supposed to be. All because your claims are being challenged. Are you under the impression that everything you say should be accepted as truth, no questions asked, because you quote the Bible? Come on, man.

For the last time, this is a debate forum. If you can't handle your assertions being challenged, then this probably isn't the place for you. I've pointed out that Im here to debate and discuss various topics several times now. Quit inserting your own made up excuses, and maybe just listen instead.

Or course you didn't bother answering my questions. o_O

Well, to ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I DO represent God, have God's power, and am one of His designated ambassadors, so almost 100% of everything I share is absolutely correct.

The answer to your question is YES. :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Aren’t you also voluntarily on a forum? Isn’t everyone here voluntarily on a forum? I don’t see why “being voluntarily on a forum” is suddenly such an Evil Thing?

It's not so much evil as pathological, I think. I don't spend a lot of time on Flat Earth forums--the truth is the Earth is not flat, and those who believe such things are ignorant/deceived/conspiratorial/incorrect.

So, why "volunteer" to spend reams of time telling religious adherents on a religious forum God doesn't exist? God doesn't exist, and those who believe such things are ignorant/deceived/conspiratorial/incorrect. Are you masochistic, is that your pathology? Are you angry, bitter?

sojourner

It's not so much evil as pathological, I think. I don't spend a lot of time on Flat Earth forums--the truth is the Earth is not flat, and those who believe such things are ignorant/deceived/conspiratorial/incorrect.

So, why "volunteer" to spend reams of time telling religious adherents on a religious forum God doesn't exist? God doesn't exist, and those who believe such things are ignorant/deceived/conspiratorial/incorrect. Are you masochistic, is that your pathology? Are you angry, bitter?
“Religion” does not assume “the existence of God.”

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Because people want to. That's all you need to know.

We're all here because we want to be. You're the only one whining about it.

sojourner

Well, to ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I DO represent God, have God's power, and am one of His designated ambassadors, so almost 100% of everything I share is absolutely correct.

The answer to your question is YES. :)
Hmm... psychiatric files are full of Messiah Complex cases. Documentation? Corroborative evidence? I’ve studied with a few of the best bible and theological scholars and I’m an expert, but your arguments here have not been “almost 100% correct.” Your assertion doesn’t follow the evidence. You’ll have to provide something else before I’ll buy your claim here.

Faithofchristian

To answer the Thread ( What makes the Bible so believable for people?)

Well first of all there's two sides of the bible, what is written down and the spirit of the bible.
What this means is, There's what is written down and there's the spirit of the bible which takes spiritual discernment to read to have wisdom what the spirit of God is saying in the bible.

Let's for say, that people were ask to read the book of Mark 13, and in this book of Mark 13, Christ Jesus given what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.
When it will take place.
And who can commit it.

Now upon reading this book of Mark 13, people will be reading what is written down.
Now can people give what the spirit is saying in this book of Mark 13 ?
For Christ Jesus given
What the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is
When it will take place
And by who can commit it.

Which will take spiritual discernment to read to have wisdom what the spirit of God is saying in this book of Mark 13.