• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes someone a humanist?

savethedreams

Do humanist and humanitarian have an correlation?

Humanist view on animal rights?

World peace?

Can a humanist be a anit-government, anti-religious world peace animal rights "one love" and advocate of non-violence.

i was searching for a 'faith' and I read many books getting my thoughts together. I do like humanist from what i HEARD a lot. Their is no 'supernatural' in their. I do like zen buddhism, and buddhism in general but that was the closet thing to me that made sense...

So any help.... i know I sound like a john lennon 'hippie' (my friends call me that) but I am what I am lol.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
do you want humanist philosophy or humanist psychology or both?

Straw Dog

you can give me both the more the better.

If you're interested in humanistic psychology, then you might as well jump to its descendant of positive psychology. It has essentially opened up the box of that which makes human beings truly happy and it can serve as a guide for discovering one's own innate potential for such discovery. Good luck and have fun!

savethedreams

you can give me both the more the better.

If you're interested in humanistic psychology, then you might as well jump to its descendant of positive psychology. It has essentially opened up the box of that which makes human beings truly happy and it can serve as a guide for discovering one's own innate potential for such discovery. Good luck and have fun!

You might wish to read Humanist Manifestod.

Honestly I like the idea of having 'moral' and having ethics without the use of sueprnatural. I'm agnostic/deist/pantheist at heart but I'm ultimatly irreligous and dislike the idea of religion and it rituals. I am open minded to anything not superntural over natural....so

Aren't all HUmanist .. enviormentalist. ?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
As far as I know, the only thing all the various brands of humanism have in common are a focus on human concerns and values rather than some external source's concerns (e.g., a divine being's). I think in order to have a humanism (and there are both religious and secular humanisms) the ethics, philosophy, values, and overall goal is based around human happiness, contentment, sometimes proliferation (sometimes just equilibrium), and improvement.

You might have to narrow down what sort of humanism you're asking about. I don't know this for sure, but it seems to me like the most popular form of humanism is secular humanism. If that's the case, then it's a philosophical worldview that focuses on the use of reason, improvement of the quality of human life, increasing understanding of secular ethics, and rejecting dogma/superstition.

savethedreams

As far as I know, the only thing all the various brands of humanism have in common are a focus on human concerns and values rather than some external source's concerns (e.g., a divine being's). I think in order to have a humanism (and there are both religious and secular humanisms) the ethics, philosophy, values, and overall goal is based around human happiness, contentment, sometimes proliferation (sometimes just equilibrium), and improvement.

You might have to narrow down what sort of humanism you're asking about. I don't know this for sure, but it seems to me like the most popular form of humanism is secular humanism. If that's the case, then it's a philosophical worldview that focuses on the use of reason, improvement of the quality of human life, increasing understanding of secular ethics, and rejecting dogma/superstition.

I know I'm secular humanist. I dislike religion as a whole HOWEVER,

i'm agnostic-deist-patheist (enviormental) at the same time. ALL those make sense.

I also like 'zen' buddhism.

IDK if i can call myself a agnostic/desit/patheist ZEN SECULAR HUMANIST, sounds kinda long lol

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I know I'm secular humanist. I dislike religion as a whole HOWEVER,

i'm agnostic-deist-patheist (enviormental) at the same time. ALL those make sense.

I also like 'zen' buddhism.

IDK if i can call myself a agnostic/desit/patheist ZEN SECULAR HUMANIST, sounds kinda long lol

That's perfectly fine. However, I'm not sure if your humanism is "secular" if you adhere to religious ontological beliefs. There's nothing wrong with plain ol' humanism, though!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The psychological humanism is the focus on fulfilling all of one's immediate needs (food, water, shelter, so on.), and when those are met one can focus on self-actualization, the goal of reaching one's fullest potential and self-fulfillment. The modern shift to remove self-actualization and replace it with having children could not be more of a perversion to school of thought, given it goes against the concept of self-actualization to have children if you do not want it.

savethedreams

That's perfectly fine. However, I'm not sure if your humanism is "secular" if you adhere to religious ontological beliefs. There's nothing wrong with plain ol' humanism, though!

I enjoy what humanism stands for. I like ONLY the philosophy of zen not the supernatural teach of Buddha.

However I'm still undecided on my position on god. I think over all agnostic. However I'm not sure exactly what is meant to be a deist.

If Someone ask me "do you believe in god" I would answer "sure, maybe we don't really know if god is there then he hasn't talk to us. " or.

"yeah their is a god but not what you think it is"

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I enjoy what humanism stands for. I like ONLY the philosophy of zen not the supernatural teach of Buddha.

However I'm still undecided on my position on god. I think over all agnostic. However I'm not sure exactly what is meant to be a deist.

If Someone ask me "do you believe in god" I would answer "sure, maybe we don't really know if god is there then he hasn't talk to us. " or.

"yeah their is a god but not what you think it is"

Well, theism is explicitely the position of positively accepting the proposition that at least one god exists is true. If you're undecided on this proposition, or are unclear on what the proposition even means (e.g., "what do you mean by 'god?'"), then that's fairly secular.

I think it's interesting that a word like "secular" even exists, honestly. As far as I can tell from various sources, it appears to mean a state of operating without religious beliefs. As far as I can tell, the difference between "religious" beliefs and non-religious beliefs is the absence of solid epistemic justification. It seems to me like therefore "secular" simply means the normal state of affairs where beliefs are only held when justified whereas "religion" is some other state of affairs where beliefs are held without verifiable justification.

Maybe some people hold theistic beliefs because they do have epistemic justification -- but then the belief isn't religious, it's an informed, justified belief if there's epistemic justification by definition. Then again, some definitions of "religious" just require that the belief pertains to a deity (though I find this to be woefully inadequate and non-exhaustive). It could just come down to semantics. I've had a bit to drink, so I'll just leave it at that!

savethedreams

Well, theism is explicitely the position of positively accepting the proposition that at least one god exists is true. If you're undecided on this proposition, or are unclear on what the proposition even means (e.g., "what do you mean by 'god?'"), then that's fairly secular.

I think it's interesting that a word like "secular" even exists, honestly. As far as I can tell from various sources, it appears to mean a state of operating without religious beliefs. As far as I can tell, the difference between "religious" beliefs and non-religious beliefs is the absence of solid epistemic justification. It seems to me like therefore "secular" simply means the normal state of affairs where beliefs are only held when justified whereas "religion" is some other state of affairs where beliefs are held without verifiable justification.

Maybe some people hold theistic beliefs because they do have epistemic justification -- but then the belief isn't religious, it's an informed, justified belief if there's epistemic justification by definition. Then again, some definitions of "religious" just require that the belief pertains to a deity (though I find this to be woefully inadequate and non-exhaustive). It could just come down to semantics. I've had a bit to drink, so I'll just leave it at that!

i think religions is getting in the way of us as a human race moving forward. Most people confused it as NOT believing in god etc or having some afterlife individual hope. This often makes me SAD that we have a mentality of "I want my salvation first, other person goes to hell" , which is eventually become deadly.

I'M An advocate for WORLD PEACE-SAVE THE HUMAN RACE-NON-VIOLENCE . I think and feel Humanist who are Humanitarians support this idea and encourages me as well.

Two things remains an issue for me: God and Afterlife, however sense we don't exactly 100% KNOW , we can certain our thoughts around it, just be good human until then.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
i think religions is getting in the way of us as a human race moving forward. Most people confused it as NOT believing in god etc or having some afterlife individual hope. This often makes me SAD that we have a mentality of "I want my salvation first, other person goes to hell" , which is eventually become deadly.

I'M An advocate for WORLD PEACE-SAVE THE HUMAN RACE-NON-VIOLENCE . I think and feel Humanist who are Humanitarians support this idea and encourages me as well.

Two things remains an issue for me: God and Afterlife, however sense we don't exactly 100% KNOW , we can certain our thoughts around it, just be good human until then.

I agree with you all the way :)

Your answers are fairly neutral, perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion. Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves. You may be an agnostic or a humanist or vaguely religious, depending on what your other answers were.

savethedreams

Your answers are fairly neutral, perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion. Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves. You may be an agnostic or a humanist or vaguely religious, depending on what your other answers were.

Explain what you mean by "other answers" i'm not understand what you said>