• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Islam a religion of peace

markymark

Islam is often referd to by Muslims as the religion of peace , i just wanted to know why that is , surely for something to get that label it must have done something very peaceful , so what was that ?

The founder of islam -Muhammed spread islam by the sword , before that islam did not spread but after Muhammed took to the sword and got an army behind him , he became a political warlord.i mean i can understand Christianity receiving that label as its founder -Jesus was crucified for no fault and lived a life of peace and love that many chrisitans follow.

It seems as alot of muslism around the world today or simpy following Muhammed as there seems to be alot of violence linked with islam and i dont think thasts just the media.##So waht has Islam done regarding peace to get the lable as the religion of peace , its a very simple question - i hope i will get an intelligent response.

Many thanks for your time

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
There is a lot of violence associated with most religions, especially in places with low education and abundant poverty. Religion doesn't inherently cause violence, ignorance and desperation do. A religion only encourages violence if it encourages ignorance and blind obedience to authority. I don't think its fair to single out Islam. The only reason it seems violent is because there are so many followers. There are a lot of followers of Christianity who're violent as well. Heck, a thousand years ago European Christians were the violent barbarians and the Muslim world was a beacon of education and civility. What I'm saying is that Islam isn't inherently violent more than any other faith.

markymark

There is a lot of violence associated with most religions, especially in places with low education and abundant poverty. Religion doesn't inherently cause violence, ignorance and desperation do. A religion only encourages violence if it encourages ignorance and blind obedience to authority. I don't think its fair to single out Islam. The only reason it seems violent is because there are so many followers. There are a lot of followers of Christianity who're violent as well. Heck, a thousand years ago European Christians were the violent barbarians and the Muslim world was a beacon of education and civility. What I'm saying is that Islam isn't inherently violent more than any other faith.

sorry but yor reasing is very flawed firstly there are more followers of Christianity than islam , so that idea goes straight out the window ....do you agree , can you provide a source or valid information on this statment

There are a lot of followers of Christianity who're violent as well. or did you just make that up... as i can provide many many source were islam and the quran are directly related to violence , but i see you have side stepped the issues i mention islam as muslims call it the religion of peace , yet it was birthed in violence buy it founder on the other hand the founder of christianty lead a peaceful love , full of love. -

so can you tell me why muslims reffer to islam as the relgion of peace and why its so easy for terrorist to interpreted there quran and use it for violence against non believers.i wonder if its got anything to go with the countless verses in islamic teachings instructing muslims to attack non belivers , do you think that as anything to do with it ?

robo

I like the question in the OP.

But I dont particularly like the OP's attempt to give Xity a free pass.

If pure historical body count were to decide which religion was more brutal, I am afraid Xity will surpass Islam as the most brutal ever.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
This publication answers inline to your question:
http://www.alislam.org/islam/islam-peaceful-religion.pdf

You should be curious why people have told you such falsehood. Any person studying carefully would know immediately that such is not possible and know when something is pulled out of context.

Such accusations/doctrine can only be made/promoted by misguided people. Unfortunately people put their trust in such people (even apparent muslim scholars). You should carefully look into all of these topics. Slavery(first to abolish), Female Inequality(rather males should be complaining), Death for Apostasy (no basis in islam) have been very well answered by the Ahmadiyya Community. It is unfortunate how many muslims today are misguided and fail to adequately answer questions, so many claim that death is punishment for apostasy, turn a blind eye to science and logic, and promote violent doctrine yet claim that Islam condemns terrorism. If one is not quick to make judgements and studies literature of Ahmadiyya Islam then they would realize how just and peaceful islam is. We have a lot of publication on these topics.

I have sincere apologetic that a lot of muslims today cause misguidance and spread dangerous doctrine. Our beloved prophet Muhammad (SAW) had warned of this time to come.

“A time shall most surely will come upon my people when
Islam shall be left only in name. The Qur’an will be read
by a way of mere ceremony and nobody will act upon it.
Mosques no doubt there will be many, but they no longer
will be the source of light and guidance. The Ulama will
be the worst creatures under the sun; all mischief will
emanate from them and the chastisement of God will come
down upon their heads.” (Kanz-al-Ummal, vol. 6, p. 49)

Islam Ahmadiyya claims that the reformer of the age, the Promised Messiah, has already arrived. The seed of reformation has been planted.

Last edited:

godlikemadman

God Among Men
What is this I don't even

On a more serious note, OP, your argument makes no sense. Do me a favor and go back through the Old Testament and point out to me exactly where the God represented there is any kinder than the one represented in the Qur'an. According to the Bible, God sanctioned the genocide of the Canaanite people so the Jews could live there because he "remembered" his covenant. According to the Bible, God gave David a free pass even though he sent a man to his death so he could steal his wife for himself. According to the Bible, God "uses" the nations of the Earth to torment the Israelites and then goes and obliterates them when the Israelites repent. Does this sound like a "loving" God? I think not.

markymark

I like the question in the OP.

But I dont particularly like the OP's attempt to give Xity a free pass.

If pure historical body count were to decide which religion was more brutal, I am afraid Xity will surpass Islam as the most brutal ever.

i am not saying christains have not been voilent over the history of the world, they have eveyone knows about the crusades and so on ,many people have used chrisitany as a reason to carry out attacks , but that is outside of what the bible teaches , the bible does not teach voilence towards other non belivers , but there are many many versus in islamic teachings that instructs violence against non belivers and the quran is a book for all ages , do you disagree that islam was birthed in violence by its founder and some muslims are simplf following muhammeds example and the instructions in insalmic teachings.The bible instructs us to follow the NT can you provide any versus
teaching voilents against others , i know the OT has alot of fighting and war it , but Jesus intructs us to live by the NT , do you think the NT is violent ?

My question still remains on why muslims call islam the religion of peace ?

markymark

On a more serious note, OP, your argument makes no sense. Do me a favor and go back through the Old Testament and point out to me exactly where the God represented there is any kinder than the one represented in the Qur'an. According to the Bible, God sanctioned the genocide of the Canaanite people so the Jews could live there because he "remembered" his covenant. According to the Bible, God gave David a free pass even though he sent a man to his death so he could steal his wife for himself. According to the Bible, God "uses" the nations of the Earth to torment the Israelites and then goes and obliterates them when the Israelites repent. Does this sound like a "loving" God? I think not.

wow thats a very very weak response OT again hey sorry do you know anything about the bible , have you ever read it - guess not the bible clearly instructs chrisitans to live by the NT , where the founder of Christianity was sacfriced as an innocent man and spread love and healing were ever he went(note muhhmaed never healed anyone - leads me to belive he was a false prophet)

so does the quran have an NT instructing its followers to treat others as themselves and turn the other cheek when slapped ...cause all the versus in islamic teachings regarding non believers are violent in nature of derogatory , why is allah so obsessed with the non believer

CarlinKnew

Surely you could find a verse in the Quran, or any holy text for that matter, which advocates peace. It is easy for a believer to exaggerate the positive aspects of his religion and rationalize the negative.

markymark

what free pass hahahh come on go read the bible and come try again , does allah sound like a loving god when he says unbelievers are the lowet of animals , wow no wonder non muslism dont want to have anything to do with him ...and i have not even started on what islam teaches about how woman should be treated

robo

what free pass hahahh come on go read the bible and come try again , does allah sound like a loving god when he says unbelievers are the lowet of animals , wow no wonder non muslism dont want to have anything to do with him ...and i have not even started on what islam teaches about how woman should be treated

I frankly feel the days of literal interpretations of books is over. There are despicable verses in books of every faith.

You obviously want to focus on Islam alone.

The point is, in the 21st century, it makes no sense to take books of the 7th century or 1st century AD or 1500 BC seriously. All of them were made for a different era.

Live and let live. All religions are man-made.

godlikemadman

God Among Men
Bro, come on. Firstly, I'm not even completely sure the NT is even legit. It was written by 4 different people in different time periods claiming to be "influenced" by God, even though the accounts are contradictory in many accounts and have a weak basis in reality, based on questionable history. But let's assume the NT is truly written by God. Great. Both the Qur'an and the NT have verses specifically proclaiming that some will go to heaven and some are damned to hell. The Qur'an has verses advocating peace, and some advocating resistance in case of attack. As does the Bible. Both have been misused by religious zealots looking to use religion as a means of controlling people for political agendas. This does not discount the aforementioned religions; instead it shows the moral weakness of those misusing it. There is a difference.

Trey of Diamonds

Islam is often referd to by Muslims as the religion of peace , i just wanted to know why that is , surely for something to get that label it must have done something very peaceful , so what was that ?

Why is Christianity referred to as a religion of peace. Far more violence and atrocities have been comitted by Christians over the centuries than by Isalm. Are you really ready to cast the first stone?

markymark

Why is Christianity referred to as a religion of peace. Far more violence and atrocities have been comitted by Christians over the centuries than by Isalm. Are you really ready to cast the first stone?

its not christians dont refer to it as the relgion of peace , never have , if otehrs want to say that fine , but muslims have labled islam as the relgion of peace my question is why

markymark

cast waht stone , it it wrong to say a thief is wrong because he steals no of course not he is wrong same with islam , waht is teaches about woman and unbelievers is wrong - end off

gnostic

The Lost One
reptilian said:

I do agree with you that history of both religions have been violent ones.

I think markymark was referring to the lives of founders (Jesus & Muhammad) were markedly different. Jesus had never taken arms or went into battle during his lifetime, whereas Muhammad have (in his lifetime). Muhammad was not just a prophet, he was also a warlord or commander. in that, I would have to agree with markymark.

Also Jesus had never actually judge someone and have them executed, Muhammad have. Muhammad also had political power, while Jesus didn't. Muhammad have more in common with Moses, Joshua or Elijah than with Jesus in these matters.

What Jesus and Muhammad did have common is that they both preached the promises of afterlife.

Reptillian

its not christians dont refer to it as the relgion of peace , never have , if otehrs want to say that fine , but muslims have labled islam as the relgion of peace my question is why

Are you sure? Isn't one of Jesus' titles The Prince of Peace?

markymark

Are you sure? Isn't one of Jesus' titles The Prince of Peace?

yes but chrstians have not labled as that - Jesus was the prince of peace as he lived a life of peace , healed people , showed love to everyone and was crucfied for a crime he did not commit - does that not sound like a peacfull man to you ?

Muhammed spread islam by the sword (historical fact ), does that sound peaceful to you

markymark

I do agree with you that history of both religions have been violent ones.

I think markymark was referring to the lives of founders (Jesus & Muhammad) were markedly different. Jesus had never taken arms or went into battle during his lifetime, whereas Muhammad have (in his lifetime). Muhammad was not just a prophet, he was also a warlord or commander. in that, I would have to agree with markymark.

Also Jesus had never actually judge someone and have them executed, Muhammad have. Muhammad also had political power, while Jesus didn't. Muhammad have more in common with Moses, Joshua or Elijah than with Jesus in these matters.

What Jesus and Muhammad did have common is that they both preached the promises of afterlife.

thank you - very true except Muhammed never healed anyone or preformed any miricales in fact all he did was intruct troops , saying he is a miracle as he could not read is up for debate - pls provide an information that Muhammed was a prophet and not just a madman as if i compare him other prophets he just looks like a madman to me

Reptillian

yes but chrstians have not labled as that - Jesus was the prince of peace as he lived a life of peace , healed people , showed love to everyone and was crucfied for a crime he did not commit - does that not sound like a peacfull man to you ?

Muhammed spread islam by the sword (historical fact ), does that sound peaceful to you

You do know Muslims believe in Jesus too right? They just don't think he was god incarnate and instead view him as a prophet with a message of love and forgiveness.