• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes a Christian a Christian?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
We know that a true Scotsman doesn't put sugar on his porridge. So we have a test for true Scotsmanship.

But what is the test for a Christian? Do we have inclusive and exclusive criteria?

According to Wikipedia there are 2.4 billion Christians on earth. What do they have in common?
What do the other 5.4 billion not have?

Would your answer significantly change that number of 2.4 billion?
For me as a Jew, the answer is simply that a Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus is the messiah and God.

However, I've been around Christians long enough to have an appreciation for the idea that the Nicene Creed defines the boundaries of Christian belief.

I do not accept the idea that bad behavior means you are not a Christian. You can sin and still be a Christian. Happens all the time. I think that those who engage in the "They aren't a real Christian" are giving in to the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

Muffled

Jesus in me
We know that a true Scotsman doesn't put sugar on his porridge. So we have a test for true Scotsmanship.

But what is the test for a Christian? Do we have inclusive and exclusive criteria?

According to Wikipedia there are 2.4 billion Christians on earth. What do they have in common?

I believe a Christian is a person who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

It would significantly reduce the number.

Muffled

Jesus in me
A Christian is anyone who follows Catholicism, Orthodoxy and any of the billions of Protestant denominations.

Contrary to what Christians themselves believe though, a Christian is not a follower of what Jesus himself and the twelve disciples followed (of which was Torah-observing apocalyptic/messianic ascetic Judaism and not a new religion).

A Christian is a follower of the aforementioned, which is later traditions built out of the stream that grew from the Peterian/Paulian sects (which was incorporated Marcionite and Johannine streams into their literature) in combination with gradual systematic canonization of texts and evolving dogmas and doctrines.

I believe none of that is true.

Muffled

Jesus in me
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

I'm not christian but I think almost all christians in the world believe in John 3:16 in the new testament.

And also to be a true christian you have to believe:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. (Matthew 22:36-40)

I believe some people deceive themselves into thinking they believe in Jesus but if the person has not received Jesus as Lord and Savior it reveals a lack of belief in Jesus.

But what is the test for a Christian?...

Bible tells this:

… in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Zaha Torte

A belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was crucified for the sins of the world and rose from the dead.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was crucified for the sins of the world and rose from the dead.
I do not think a Christian has to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

What many liberal theologians believe about Jesus' death

“Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God. At his death, his mind ceased to function and his body started the decomposition process. Returning to life a day and a half later would have been quite impossible. The story of having been wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh seems to have been copied from the story of the death of Osiris -- the Egyptian God of the earth, vegetation and grain. The legend that he visited the underworld between his death and resurrection was simply copied from common Pagan themes of surrounding cultures. One example again was Osiris. "With his original association to agriculture, his death and resurrection were seen as symbolic of the annual death and re-growth of the crops and the yearly flooding of the Nile." 1

They also believe that Paul regarded the resurrection to be an act of God in which Jesus was a passive recipient of God's power. Paul did not mention the empty tomb, the visit by a woman or women, the stone, the angel/angels/man/men at the tomb, and reunion of Jesus with his followers in his resuscitated body. Rather, he believed that Jesus was taken up into heaven in a spirit body. It was only later, from about 70 to 110 CE when the four canonic Gospels were written, that the Christians believed that Jesus rose from the grave in his original body, and by his own power.”

Zaha Torte

I do not think a Christian has to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

What many liberal theologians believe about Jesus' death

“Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God. At his death, his mind ceased to function and his body started the decomposition process. Returning to life a day and a half later would have been quite impossible. The story of having been wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh seems to have been copied from the story of the death of Osiris -- the Egyptian God of the earth, vegetation and grain. The legend that he visited the underworld between his death and resurrection was simply copied from common Pagan themes of surrounding cultures. One example again was Osiris. "With his original association to agriculture, his death and resurrection were seen as symbolic of the annual death and re-growth of the crops and the yearly flooding of the Nile." 1

They also believe that Paul regarded the resurrection to be an act of God in which Jesus was a passive recipient of God's power. Paul did not mention the empty tomb, the visit by a woman or women, the stone, the angel/angels/man/men at the tomb, and reunion of Jesus with his followers in his resuscitated body. Rather, he believed that Jesus was taken up into heaven in a spirit body. It was only later, from about 70 to 110 CE when the four canonic Gospels were written, that the Christians believed that Jesus rose from the grave in his original body, and by his own power.”
I would argue that anyone who believes this are not actual Christians as not only the Gospels, but the Book of Acts and the various epistles reference the literal bodily Resurrection of Christ.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I believe some people deceive themselves into thinking they believe in Jesus but if the person has not received Jesus as Lord and Savior it reveals a lack of belief in Jesus.

explain please. Whats the difference between those two?

PearlSeeker

There are some passages in Bible that sum up the main criteria:

Following love as the greatest commandment(s) (already mentioned). Here is another formulation:
"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Transcending ego: "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me."

capumetu

A true Christian will live the teachings of the Christian faith as found in the Bible to the best of their ability. They will sin, but rarely will they commit a serious sin. They would at no time practice a serious sin, and if they committed one would repent instantly,

Christians imitate Jesus sir, that being said a true Christian will worship Jehovah exclusively Mat 4:10

They will not participate in secular wars 2 Cor 10:3,4

They will not get involved in politics Mat 4:8,9, John 17:14-16

They will love one another John 13:34,35

There are many more identifying factors, but that should help you to identify God's people

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are many more identifying factors, but that should help you to identify God's people
Here is another identifying factor. A true Christian would not talk incessantly about their life in this world and how happy they are about what they are going to eat or drink or buy for Christmas. They would instead be thinking about other people who don't have what they have and trying to help them.

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe a Christian is a person who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

It would significantly reduce the number.
Interesting, considering that the New Testament never once says, "accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior." What you are quoting is an idea advanced by evangelicals.

capumetu

Here is another identifying factor. A true Christian would not talk incessantly about their life in this world and how happy they are about what they are going to eat or drink or buy for Christmas. They would instead be thinking about other people who don't have what they have and trying to help them.

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Christians do not participate in worldly holy days Blazer.