• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes a Christian a Christian?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
If it is not Scriptural, then it is not originating from Scripture, therefore it originated with what the Bible calls the world.
I realize that your Watchtower teaches this, but it's just not true. For example, if I say a prayer, that's something that is not in the Bible, yet is it not worldly either.

capumetu

I realize that your Watchtower teaches this, but it's just not true. For example, if I say a prayer, that's something that is not in the Bible, yet is it not worldly either.

Doesn't matter who says it, if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion. Christmas is not a Bible teaching, not only does the Watchtower make this known, but many other sources as well. We live in the age of information, simply google the paganism of christmas, and plenty of information will appear.

capumetu

I like celebrating everything about God and I don't understand why people think that is bad. Maybe the Grinch is a JW?

God is dead set against lies Muffy. There are many lies about the christmas holy day, and He absolutely does not like what was dedicated to other gods applied to Him.

ppp

Doesn't matter who says it, if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion. Christmas is not a Bible teaching, not only does the Watchtower make this known, but many other sources as well. We live in the age of information, simply google the paganism of christmas, and plenty of information will appear.
You tell him that if its not in the Bible it is simply opinion, then try to prove your point by appealing to something outside the Bible. Didn't you just dismiss googling for information as mere opinion on the basis it is not in the Bible?

IndigoChild5559

I'm simply stating that there are things outside the Bible that are not worldly, and I gave you the example of an improvised prayer.

Colt

We know that a true Scotsman doesn't put sugar on his porridge. So we have a test for true Scotsmanship.

But what is the test for a Christian? Do we have inclusive and exclusive criteria?

According to Wikipedia there are 2.4 billion Christians on earth. What do they have in common?
What do the other 5.4 billion not have?

Would your answer significantly change that number of 2.4 billion?
One who believes Jesus is the Christ is Christ-ian. The many different sects have various added creedal requirements.

In the Original Gospel taught by Jesus a disciple was one who believed his gospel and became a spirit born member of the Kingdom of Heaven.

capumetu

You tell him that if its not in the Bible it is simply opinion, then try to prove your point by appealing to something outside the Bible. Didn't you just dismiss googling for information as mere opinion on the basis it is not in the Bible?

Hi Joe, simply pointing out that Christmas is not found in the Bible, not just the word, but the celebration. Jesus didn't celebrate it, nor does his followers. Therefore Christians today do not either. By history, it was well over a hundred years after Jesus death that the holy day started being celebrated.

capumetu

I'm simply stating that there are things outside the Bible that are not worldly, and I gave you the example of an improvised prayer.

Prayers are scriptural maam, however what you may ask for may be worldly, for example you may ask God for a million dollars, do you feel He will grant that prayer?

But if you ask Him for anything according to His will, you are guaranteed you will be heard 1 Jn 5:14

ppp

Hi Joe, simply pointing out that Christmas is not found in the Bible, not just the word, but the celebration. Jesus didn't celebrate it, nor does his followers. Therefore Christians today do not either. By history, it was well over a hundred years after Jesus death that the holy day started being celebrated.
No. That is not simply what you are pointing out. You literally said the words, "if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion." Which either means that you think that nothing external to the Bible holds any factual weight...or you were using that as a means to dismiss @IndigoChild5559. If it is the former, then google is not support for your position. If the later, that is just common hypocrisy.

IndigoChild5559

Joe, this is only the Protestant opinion. Other Christians believe differently. Secondly, even Protestants add things that are not in the Bible. For example, worshiping on Sunday, fully developed Trinitarian doctrine and Christology, having "a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ," the Sinner's Prayer, altar calls, the Christian holidays, etc., etc.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Prayers are scriptural maam, however what you may ask for may be worldly, for example you may ask God for a million dollars, do you feel He will grant that prayer?

But if you ask Him for anything according to His will, you are guaranteed you will be heard 1 Jn 5:14
I agree. But that is beside the point. The point is that the composition of the prayer is outside the Bible.

ppp

Joe, first of all, this is only the Protestant opinion. Other Christians believe differently. Secondly, even Protestants add things that are not in the Bible. For example, worshiping on Sunday, fully developed Trinitarian doctrine and Christology, having "a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ," the Sinner's Prayer, altar calls, the Christian holidays, etc., etc.
It's not even the Protestant opinion. It's only a subset of the Protestant opinion that "if its not in the Bible it is simply opinion". I grew up Baptist in a podunk rural town and not even they said that, And considering that everyone I have encountered who has espoused that opinion has liberally referenced non-Biblical sources in their arguments, I am not convinced that even they themselves believe the sentiment.

capumetu

No. That is not simply what you are pointing out. You literally said the words, "if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion." Which either means that you think that nothing external to the Bible holds any factual weight...or you were using that as a means to dismiss @IndigoChild5559. If it is the former, then google is not support for your position. If the later, that is just common hypocrisy.

I was speaking Biblically Joe, this is a religious forum, of course the christmas holiday exists, but is is not celebrated by God's people. Anyone who says it is a Christian holy day is simply offering their opinion, rather than scriptural evidence.

ppp

I was speaking Biblically Joe, this is a religious forum, of course the christmas holiday exists, but is is not celebrated by God's people. Anyone who says it is a Christian holy day is simply offering their opinion, rather than scriptural evidence.
So you did not really mean, "if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion." You acknowledge that there are plenty of things said outside of the Bible that are indeed facts.

What you are really referring to with your usage of "God's people" is your particular sect of Christianity. Your sect has the true understanding of the Bible, and what God wants and that all of the people claiming to be Christian are just posers. Which is what all of the sects of Christianity say.

pearl

What were early Judahite practices regarding the day of their birth?

The first century Judahite historian Josephus noted that Judahite families did not celebrate birthdays:

"Nay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at the birth of our children, and thereby afford occasion of drinking to excess" (Josephus. Translated by W. Whiston. Against Apion, Book II, Chapter 26. Extracted from Josephus Complete Works, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids (MI), 14th printing, 1977, p. 632).

Jews, Jewish Christians, and Old Testament Birthdays (hope-of-israel.org)

If this is true why all the fuss?

IndigoChild5559

When you say that Christmas is not celebrated by God's people, who do you mean when you say "God's People?"

capumetu

So you did not really mean, "if it is not said in the Bible it is simply opinion." You acknowledge that there are plenty of things said outside of the Bible that are indeed facts.

What you are really referring to with your usage of "God's people" is your particular sect of Christianity. Your sect has the true understanding of the Bible, and what God wants and that all of the people claiming to be Christian are just posers. Which is what all of the sects of Christianity say.

There is fact and fiction, and no sect has absolute truth, however as sure as God exists, He has a group of people. And if the Bible is inspired by Him, He identifies those people, go figure huh Joe.

ppp

There is fact and fiction, and no sect has absolute truth, however as sure as God exists, He has a group of people. And if the Bible is inspired by Him, He identifies those people, go figure huh Joe.
Even if God exists, which is far from surety, there is no reason to believe that anyone existing is his people. You could all be reading the Bible and floundering about.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No, but neither do I believe they must become Christian as I do tend to believe there are "many paths to God". Matter of fact, I have to believe that there are undoubtedly some atheists and agnostics that are more loving than some Christians or Muslim or Jews... based on some of the behaviors we've seen.

I believe they must become Christian to be saved and enter into eternal life.