• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What language?? Moses/tablets/etc.

rosends

And somewhat on the level of 'What vegetable did King Arthur prefer?'
I would disagree -- the discussions of not only the specific words and grammar, but even of the shape of letters in the talmud seems to indicate that the particular language is very important.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would disagree -- the discussions of not only the specific words and grammar, but even of the shape of letters in the talmud seems to indicate that the particular language is very important.
It also presumes that there were, in fact, tablets containing specific grammar and specific words of specific shape.

Paraselsus

It's been writen that Moses "wrote" the first 5 books of the O.T.
In what language? I ask because I have read that writen language was not in use in the
times of Moses, that the 10 Commandments were writen by the "finger of God" while Moses was on the mountain. According to scripture the 10 Commandments were writen by God on stone tablets.
What language? If there were no writen langauges of Moses' day then what langauge would
the words have been writen in?
I am not at all trying to debunk scripture, just asking for you help to determine:
Was there indeed no writen language in use in Moses' day, how could there be tablets
writen by the finger of God?
Moses is credited with "writing" the first five books of the O.T.
Writen by Moses when there was no writen langauge in use?
Writen WHEN? According to scripture Moses was a simple shepard when God sent him back to Egypt to ask that Pharoah "let my people go".
We know that oral tradition was the primary way information was tramsmitted to future generations.
Moses, tho raised an Egyption Prince, was still a humble shepard after he fled Egypt.
Possibly he could read Egyption glyphs but using glyphs to write 10 Commandments would take a lot of room on stone tables, perhaps so much room the tablets could not even be carried by one man.
Can anyone cite sources to explain the writen language that could have been used by Moses to write
the books of the O.T?
Indeed, did Moses have time to write such a huge document while wondering in the desert for 40 years?
I suspect when langauge came into common use that scribe wrote the books in question based on
oral tradition.

I believe that Moses spoke Hebrew but that the original 10 Commandments inscription was written by the finger of God in the sky. If the tradition about the 10 Commandments is true, then the stone tablet was bored through and probably quite thin. If the entire O.T. could be seen in the sky and memorized, then it could it could be written down later after captivity using the same celestial format but their regional alphabet letters. The Samaritan version of the 10 Commandments closely follows the stellar form as shown in this animation.

Archeoastronomy Animations: The 10 Commandments