• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what kind of God?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
true true. and the sad part is that they never explain the child what makes a god god.
In my experience, this isn't a common thing generally. I don't know many Christians who could really explain why Pagan gods are gods and similar angels aren't.

syo

In my experience, this isn't a common thing generally. I don't know many Christians who could really explain why Pagan gods are gods and similar angels aren't.
maybe they deliberately omit that part. edit - or they really don't know.

Audie

Veteran Member
The reason God possesses all the traits of something that doesn't exist is because He can be logically deduced only if you are unable to evidence Him through entering ultimate reality (aka a higher dimension that is 90 degrees to blind nature/ everyday reality). If that is indeed the case then atheism is on shaky grounds.

word salad, but I will agree, ya sure do have a
IF there.

Audie

Veteran Member
We want to be God or ultimate master. Does that help?

Who are "we"? I've no such wish. Cant say I kmow
anyone who does. You might as well say I want to
be a crocodile. I do not.

"Ultimate master" will do for sci fi, or some religion,
but it is a meaningless concept for people.

Where do you even get this stuff? At best.
you are projecting (sorry) your own traits
onto others. "We" aint you!

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe? I understand that you don't like an invisible God. have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?

If a tesseract shaped extra dimensional nearly omniscient being were to traverse in front of any highly evolved 3 dimensional shaped great apes such as ourselves, then we would only see a 3 dimensional slice of this extra dimensional being appear out of nowhere and then vanish into thin air. We would not be able to see anywhere near the physical mind of this hypercube shaped extra-dimensional nearly omniscient being.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Who are "we"? I've no such wish. Cant say I kmow
anyone who does. You might as well say I want to
be a crocodile. I do not.

"Ultimate master" will do for sci fi, or some religion,
but it is a meaningless concept for people.

Where do you even get this stuff? At best.
you are projecting (sorry) your own traits
onto others. "We" aint you!

Yet, here you are, saying that as a class, skeptics don't want me to project any ideas upon them, because THEY ARE IN CHARGE.

Jumi

Don't think almost anyone chooses a god in the way described by the original post. If I could choose, I certainly wouldn't believe in a God of the kind I now have. If anything, I would be cool if I could rewind time back to before I experienced it.

Have had more negative discussions with theists, some of who think you're like fresh meat to be cooked. They believe you can be freely insulted because now you have a God and are asking to be hammered into some religious beliefs they have because it says so in a book. They believe you will blindly accept their authority and a book, even if you experienced more than they have they will ignore it. Because it's not something their willing to admit.

Some atheists have also become more unreasonable and have these kind of routines they go through with every theist where you ignore the other person and follow a playbook. They won't notice anything even if you agree with them on something.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Why do you think the desires you had are universal?

Humans were made with the capacity for worship. All persons have had some obsessions/compulsions/venerate objects or ideals. If you make a counterclaim that you don't place anything in high esteem, I will argue that is because you venerate yourself above all others/all things, a common idol for skeptics.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans were made with the capacity for worship. All persons have had some obsessions/compulsions/venerate objects or ideals. If you make a counterclaim that you don't place anything in high esteem, I will argue that is because you venerate yourself above all others/all things, a common idol for skeptics.

I 'venerate' truth. But I am an atheist. So, being an atheist isn't a contradiction to holding *something* in veneration. It just means we don't believe in deities. And it doesn't mean we want to be in control. I, for one, definitely do NOT.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe? I understand that you don't like an invisible God. have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?
Atheism assumes materialism. No God is possible with such an assumption.

Reactions: syo

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I 'venerate' truth. But I am an atheist. So, being an atheist isn't a contradiction to holding *something* in veneration. It just means we don't believe in deities. And it doesn't mean we want to be in control. I, for one, definitely do NOT.

Who would you yield control to, and why?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Atheism assumes materialism.
Yes. For example, the subjective experience of consciousness has no natural law, no property of matter, no force of nature, defining it. Yet materialists assume it's material, or an illusion (whatever that is), or an emergent property (whatever that is). There is no philosophical justification to assume that consciousness is at root material, no matter how tightly correlated it is with brain function.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes. For example, the subjective experience of consciousness has no natural law, no property of matter, no force of nature, defining it. Yet materialists assume it's material, or an illusion (whatever that is), or an emergent property (whatever that is). There is no philosophical justification to assume that consciousness is at root material, no matter how tightly correlated it is with brain function.
I've met atheists who believe that consciousness is immaterial. Some atheists believe in souls, ghosts, ESP, all sorts of stuff. The only thing that the label "atheist" refers to is how many gods a person believes in:

- if the number is zero, the person is an atheist.
- if the number is 1 or more, the person is a theist (and if it's exactly 1, they're a monotheist).

That's it.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I've met atheists who believe that consciousness is immaterial. Some atheists believe in souls, ghosts, ESP, all sorts of stuff. The only thing that the label "atheist" refers to is how many gods a person believes in:

- if the number is zero, the person is an atheist.
- if the number is 1 or more, the person is a theist (and if it's exactly 1, they're a monotheist).

That's it.
I have never encountered this perspective before. Seems to me they need to categorize the subjective experience of consciousness (for example) as either an illusion or an emergent property (whatever that is) or some such.

I have a hard time believing in a good God who created (or allowed someone else to create) a universe having conscious suffering. But I also have a hard time accepting that such intricate and exquisite phenomena (including the fact of the universe itself) are the results of mere randomness, nothing else, no conscious entity intervening.