• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what kind of God?

syo

atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe? I understand that you don't like an invisible God. have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe?
It's not a question of "want," but if I saw good reason to believe in any god, I'd believe in it. So I guess the "kind" of god I'd believe in is the kind that can be rationally shown to exist... or even one that can be rationally shown to be likely to exist.

I understand that you don't like an invisible God. have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?
It's not a matter of disliking invisible gods; it's a matter of acknowledging that if a god is utterly indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist, then there can be no rational reason to believe in it.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It's not a question of "want," but if I saw good reason to believe in any god, I'd believe in it. So I guess the "kind" of god I'd believe in is the kind that can be rationally shown to exist... or even one that can be rationally shown to be likely to exist.

It's not a matter of disliking invisible gods; it's a matter of acknowledging that if a god is utterly indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist, then there can be no rational reason to believe in it.
Then please explain your 'rational reasons' for believing that sentient beings like us -- in fact, any organism -- can originate from nothing.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then please explain your 'rational reasons' for believing that sentient beings like us -- in fact, any organism -- can originate from nothing.
You seem to have a wonky idea of what I believe, but if you’re trying to ask why someone should believe in evolution, the reason is boatloads of evidence.

But let’s set that aside for a moment. It seems like you’re suggesting that, even if there’s no good reason to believe in a god for its own merits, there’s no good reason to believe in the alternatives, so we might as well believe in God. Do I understand you properly?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe? I understand that you don't like an invisible God. have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?
As mostly-Penguin pointed out, it's not a question of wanting a particular sort of God in order to believe. We don't withhold belief because we don't like God. We usually withhold belief because there's no good evidence of Him.
We don't care what kind of God exists. What a rational person believes has nothing to do with what he wants to believe, or what would be convenient or pleasant to believe.
You first -- after all, it's you God-believers who believe we came from nothing, not us. 'Magic poofing' is an Abrahamic doctrine.

We clever organisms, like all organisms, originated in a series of chemical reactions, reproductions, mutations, natural selections, &c.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
atheists, what kind of God do you want in order to believe?

I dont know what a god is. Anything could be a god. Is there a universal definition of god to where my answer would be more specific to the question you ask?

I understand that you don't like an invisible God.

Some don't. I think they dont care the concept of god as influenced by actual people not god. God as a placeholder to blame believers by using their belief as a scapegoat for what they feel about the people.

Unless one seek God or believes probably and contorted by his Own Views, that doesn't make sense.

have you ever ponder that maybe God exists without having the traits you want?

Hmm. Traits I want?

If I made up a deity (not god) it would be a spirit not a being. That spirit or inner self would be part of and in and as all people and things and living. That spirit would be something believed as something within and as oneself not an outside deity regardless the type.

You can experience god through prayer, how you speak, how you act, and it's not seperate from you at all. You live and move and exist in/as/of god. God would be energy one feels is present within oneself. Not a holy spirit (though some do call it holy as a adjective) but it. Just. Is.

God is life. Not a he. Not a she. Not an incarnation. Not a person. Just life.

Without having traits I want?

If god is life, without life, what's left?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I do not particularly want to believe in any kind of God, although I do find some feminine aspects rather appealling, particularly Shakti.

But it does not seem to me that belief is a very advisable stance towards even much respected and steemed deities.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What is nothing to which something comes from? Children dont come from nothing. Everything and everyone comes from a formation, combination, etc of already existent things. What is nothing?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's really a non-issue . Considering the sheer age of the universe, if there's no indication of God by now, there's really no point in even considering the notion further.

Besides the cosmos is far too fascinating and bizzare to be sidetracked by such unsubstantiated nonsense that really has no value in further understanding what we see and experience.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Just curious, why would you think anyone believes we, or any organism, can originate from nothing?

So, you're implying that matter has always existed? That atoms, which harness incredible energy, and each element having their own intricate atomic structure, and interacting with others, needed no superior mind behind their formation?

Even Einstein didn't believe that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So, you're implying that matter has always existed? That atoms, which harness incredible energy, and each element having their own intricate atomic structure, and interacting with others, needed no superior mind behind their formation?

Even Einstein didn't believe that.
Out of curiosity: I’m guessing that the reason you’ve taken this approach is that you can’t defend God on God’s own merits. Am I right?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You seem to have a wonky idea of what I believe, but if you’re trying to ask why someone should believe in evolution, the reason is boatloads of evidence.

But let’s set that aside for a moment. It seems like you’re suggesting that, even if there’s no good reason to believe in a god for its own merits, there’s no good reason to believe in the alternatives, so we might as well believe in God. Do I understand you properly?
I simply asked for your explanation. If I misunderstand your position, elucidate me. No need to deflect.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So, you're implying that matter has always existed?
Nope. Before matter existed there was energy. However, when one phrases a request as you have

"Then please explain your 'rational reasons' for believing that sentient beings like us -- in fact, any organism -- can originate from nothing."
purposely singling out life, the logical presumption is that your request is limited to considerations of life and nothing more, such as lakes and newspapers.

That atoms, which harness incredible energy, and each element having their own intricate atomic structure, and interacting with others, needed no superior mind behind their formation?
Not to my knowledge. What do you know as FACT?

fact
fakt/
noun
noun: fact; plural noun: facts
a thing that is indisputably the case.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I simply asked for your explanation. If I misunderstand your position, elucidate me. No need to deflect.
It’s not my job to educate you, and your posts in this thread have been the deflection.

Even if you understood what I actually believed, your tactic of “God becomes a reasonable assumption if I attack other competing positions” would still be irrational. Do you understand why?