• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Kind of Baptist.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
Are you an American Baptist, Southern Baptist, etc. Baptist or just an independent Baptist?

Just out of curiosity.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I am an independant baptist. I do not believe in governing bodies over churches or authoritative headquaters.

carcinoid112

I was raised Southern Baptist. I did not leave my religion, it left me.

In fact, it left me at a SBC meeting in Houston in the early 1970's, when Judge Paul Pressler stood up and told the convention that he and the people that believed politically what he did would be taking over the denomination. He challenged those of us who disagreed with him to leave; about 40% of those there did. I was on the platform with my college choir, I left. Almost the whole choir came with me...

Pressler, et al won. That is why the SBC has gotten more and more into politics and telling people how to vote and what to do, and less and less into the business of letting each believer deal as an individual with his God and his conscience. And it's really worked out for them, ya know? There are HUGE SBC churches that have dropped "Baptist" from their name because of the negative publicity and negative connotations.

The very substantive changes in the Baptist Faith and Message statement sealed the fate of my attendance and participation in SBC congregations.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
Independent. Although I don't often label myself as Baptist, mostly because I don't necessarily agree with everything that the Baptists do.

A

angellous_evangellous

In fact, it left me at a SBC meeting in Houston in the early 1970's, when Judge Paul Pressler stood up and told the convention that he and the people that believed politically what he did would be taking over the denomination. He challenged those of us who disagreed with him to leave; about 40% of those there did. I was on the platform with my college choir, I left. Almost the whole choir came with me...

Pressler, et al won. That is why the SBC has gotten more and more into politics and telling people how to vote and what to do, and less and less into the business of letting each believer deal as an individual with his God and his conscience. And it's really worked out for them, ya know? There are HUGE SBC churches that have dropped "Baptist" from their name because of the negative publicity and negative connotations.

The very substantive changes in the Baptist Faith and Message statement sealed the fate of my attendance and participation in SBC congregations.

***applause***

serapha

Refugee

HI there...

:)

I heard an interesting statistic today from a "state" leader in the SBC...

More people are leaving the SBC than ever. Only 15% of the SB churches are showing any growth... 1% is from conversions and 14% of the 15% of grown was from trading sheep.

A generation of SB have not done their job in evangelizing for church growth, and I would say that the world is not a better place because of it. Everyone is called to evangelism... Jesus said 'go" and "tell"

1% of the growth is from new conversions. Someone is going to have to step up to the plate and turn the SBC around ... teaching doctrines and getting people back in the neighborhoods reaching the lost.

~serapha~

A

angellous_evangellous

HI there...

:)

I heard an interesting statistic today from a "state" leader in the SBC...

More people are leaving the SBC than ever. Only 15% of the SB churches are showing any growth... 1% is from conversions and 14% of the 15% of grown was from trading sheep.

A generation of SB have not done their job in evangelizing for church growth, and I would say that the world is not a better place because of it. Everyone is called to evangelism... Jesus said 'go" and "tell"

1% of the growth is from new conversions. Someone is going to have to step up to the plate and turn the SBC around ... teaching doctrines and getting people back in the neighborhoods reaching the lost.

~serapha~

Ha! I wonder what percentage of growth in churches was from conversions before the fundamentalists destroyed the denomenation.

I for one, as a pastor and a Christian, will not touch the SBC with a ten foot pole. It's completely dead, and I would rather be somewhere that has some prospect of life. Granted, God can put flesh back on the bone, and I hope that she does.

bepps

That's a shame that you feel that way. Judge Pressler visited our church approximately 2 years ago and I enjoyed his conversation. I have read his book "A Hill on which to Die" and it was very informative of the conservative movement to take the SBC back to the way the SBC originally was. The liberal movement prior to the conservative movement was destroying the Christian seminaries. If you would like to discuss this I would love to give you some information that you might find amazing as to what was being taught in our seminaries under the liberal christian movement.

A

angellous_evangellous

That's a shame that you feel that way. Judge Pressler visited our church approximately 2 years ago and I enjoyed his conversation. I have read his book "A Hill on which to Die" and it was very informative of the conservative movement to take the SBC back to the way the SBC originally was. The liberal movement prior to the conservative movement was destroying the Christian seminaries. If you would like to discuss this I would love to give you some information that you might find amazing as to what was being taught in our seminaries under the liberal christian movement.

I'm well aware of how the Baptist seminaries were destroyed.

We can start another thread about that if you'd like.

uu_sage

My homes in the Baptist tradition are the American Baptists, the Alliance of Baptists, the Baptist Peace Fellowship, and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.

Strict and Particular Sabbatarian Baptist
as gathered by Francis Bampfield, 1676.

"We own the Lord Jesus Christ to be the One and Only Lord and Lawgiver to our Souls and Consciences. And we own the Holy Scriptures of Truth as ye One and Only Rule of Faith, Worship, and Life, according to which we are to Judge of all our Cases."

seeker69

I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and have attended Independent Baptist Churches on a few occasions. Around this area of the country there aren’t many options otherwise. One of the biggest objections I have to the Baptist Churches in this area is their unconditional support for the Republican Party, almost constant State worship and support for various “morality” laws. I have since withdrawn from church and am seeking a new place to call home.

atpollard

What if once saved always saved is wrong??
Then God's arm IS short ...

I spent a fair amount of time as a Southern Baptist, but taking one of those on-line tests of beliefs suggests that I am only 94% Southern Baptist and 100% Reformed Baptist. Who knows, maybe some day I will find a Reformed Baptist church and sit in on a service and a Bible study. Until then, I will grow where I am planted and serve my independent church and its Moravian Pastor ... somebody needs to encourage my Pentacostal brothers with what God actually says in the Bible (while they remind me that whatever the church body might think, we serve a big tent God where a lot of people are welcome).