• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your view of the socalled Mystical path within religions?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To be honest, you are often very very close to that line in many of your own OP`s and I think it is why so many often can feel offended by what you write about, or they "debunk" your claims

Talking about religion is always a bit emotional. Offended or not, it's emotional, everyone has vested emotion into their path and want to be right.

Still, the truth must prevail, and so what I know of it, I try to enjoin it, to help others, but also so that God helps me as I help him, and stabilizes my feet that way.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Personally, I disagree with some of what's been said in this thread so far.

I think that mystical experiences are sacred, but that they are available to anyone who is open to receiving them.

I think that mystical experiences are direct and personal and received in the way that is best understood by the receiver and that this [best] way varies individually, but that it does not matter because the purpose of mystical experience is not to found organised collectives of believing followers, but to personally and directly change the receiver himself.

I think that mystical experiences are recognised only by their conceptual content and by the characteristic effects that this concept has on its receivers.

I don't believe that mystical experiences can be passed on to others, but I do believe that living true to one's own mystical experiences can and does change the world.

Humbly
Hermit

Since religion is individual and personal, I don't see why mystical experiences should be seen as lesser. Even Paul of the Bible had a mystical experience (vision) of Jesus.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For what its worth(and that's probably not much), I don't see tarot or divination as involving spirits(devils, angels or other beings) at all; it seems to be just pulling symbols that fall into the natural order of the environment of the time of questing, and may guide a reader to further understand the nature of their current circumstances.

Its neutral, really. Some readers are more skilled than others(and it takes practice for sure), but a person invoking this or that being is more for the benefit of their own mindset or comfort, and is independent of the cards(or tool) itself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is your view of mystical paths within the religions?
If your view is that it is wrong or false, can you explain why you view it as such?

If your view is that it is good to practice mystical paths, can you explain a little about your understanding of those mystical paths?

or maybe you are neutral?

Edit: the OP does not speak of one specific mystical path, but all of those paths who are seen as mystical
I would never discourage mystical practices because I feel people need to discover things for themselves. Personally I don't put much stock into mysticism aside from the 'flavor' it brings to the table.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What has astrology and soothsaying to do with mysticism?

There shouldn't be any, but this name of "mysticism" "Irfan" "sufism" has been a way to introduce these things even after being forbidden by the Messenger.

PearlSeeker

What is your view of mystical paths within the religions?
If your view is that it is wrong or false, can you explain why you view it as such?

If your view is that it is good to practice mystical paths, can you explain a little about your understanding of those mystical paths?

or maybe you are neutral?

Edit: the OP does not speak of one specific mystical path, but all of those paths who are seen as mystical
Personally I find mysticism very appealing. I see some people here mistake it for seeking something paranormal, mysterious, magic, occult, sentimental devotion ...

What is a mystical path? It's a path of inner transformation and experiential knowledge of profound truth/close relationship with God. It usually involves ascetic practice, prayer/meditation, moral virtues and heart (transcending rational understanding). It's a part of every religion but interpretation of mystical experience differs (the main difference is identity/non-identity in union). There are also some mystical traditions - kabbalah, hesychasm, sufism... One of my favorite mystics is Meister Eckhart.

The danger of mystical path is escapism. The light that you find at the mountain is meant to shine also when you come down.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Personally I find mysticism very appealing. I see some people here mistake it for seeking something paranormal, mysterious, magic, occult, sentimental devotion ...

What is a mystical path? It's a path of inner transformation and experiential knowledge of profound truth/close relationship with God. It usually involves ascetic practice, prayer/meditation, moral virtues and heart (transcending rational understanding). It's a part of every religion but interpretation of mystical experience differs (the main difference is identity/non-identity in union). There are also some mystical traditions - kabbalah, hesychasm, sufism... One of my favorite mystics is Meister Eckhart.

The danger of mystical path is escapism. The light that you find at the mountain is meant to shine also when you come down.
You have many good points here, and yes it is easy to "escape" the mundane life behind and keep away, some of this comes because one see the world in a new way and do not wish to have that "noise" in the life anymore.

Being around people who need music, gaming, speaking a lot in their life, do tend to become overwhelming for someone who are on a "mystical path"

PearlSeeker

You have many good points here, and yes it is easy to "escape" the mundane life behind and keep away, some of this comes because one see the world in a new way and do not wish to have that "noise" in the life anymore.

Being around people who need music, gaming, speaking a lot in their life, do tend to become overwhelming for someone who are on a "mystical path"
Yes. Mundane concerns become minimalized and some "noise" distracting. There are some things/people to avoid if you practise austerities... It's something else I had in mind with "escapism". The danger is attachment to extraordinary states, places, practices ... Meister Eckhart said this many times:

"If a man were in an ecstasy as St. Paul was (2 Cor. 12:2-4), and if he knew of a sick person who needed a bowl of soup from him, I would consider it far better if you were to leave that rapture out of love and help the needy person out of greater love."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes. Mundane concerns become minimalized and some "noise" distracting. There are some things/people to avoid if you practise austerities... It's something else I had in mind with "escapism". The danger is attachment to extraordinary states, places, practices ... Meister Eckhart said this many times:

"If a man were in an ecstasy as St. Paul was (2 Cor. 12:2-4), and if he knew of a sick person who needed a bowl of soup from him, I would consider it far better if you were to leave that rapture out of love and help the needy person out of greater love."
Very true, a true mystic practitioner will always put others first