• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Your Source of Information About God?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or gods?

The Holy Spirit or other spirits?
Prophets/Religious texts?
Dreams/visions?
The internet?

When you make claims about a God, what do you rely on for fact checking?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My cats. ;)

Personal experience. The experiences of others. Some scriptures. Dreams and visions, though only occasionally have I felt that being relevant. Most dreams aren't.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Sai Baba + Conscience, Common Sense, Discrimination and Personal Experience
God is 1 not many

Whenever Spirits etc. reveal things to me, I check in my "heart" if it's right or not

I see Scriptures as pointers, not to follow blindly and I rather follow my own path

Dreams/visions?
Interesting they are, but I don't follow them blindly (sometimes maybe, just to check them out, if it does not hurt someone)

The internet?
The Innernet

I don't make claims about God

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Or gods?

Dreams/visions?
The internet?
The internet, RF specifically.
Each theist here has a story about a god (or multiple) s/he believes in. And all the gods are different.
[/QUOTE]
Facts? There are no facts, just stories. What I can check is if the stories are consistent in themselves. (They usually aren't.)

steveb1

Or gods?

Dreams/visions?
The internet?

I rely on personal experience(s). Experience trumps both intellect and religious faith. Experience discloses in me, and to me, a transcendent reality in the midst of immanent, "secular" world-and-life.

As time/opportunity permit, I read comparative religion studies and the literature of divine union mysticism.

Because I do not typically make claims about God, other than on such forums as this one - I am not interested in converting anyone - when I do make claims, they are all based in personal experience, not philosophy or faith. I only claim an internal, subjective experience of God, and I conclude from my comparative studies that such experiences have a common root in "the Sacred" and "the Holy".

I am careful never to claim that my private, subjective God-experiences can be "proved". They cannot be proved because they are non-material, and therefore they are not physically/scientifically quantifiable. However - of course - they are strongly evidential to the individual participating in the experience. The experience - not the "fact" of the experience - can be described, but it can only be duplicated for others if others also adequately perform the steps of knowledge-acquisition that lead to the experience. This, again, is evidence, but it is not "proof".

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Cats are not sock puppets, at one time they were worshipped as gods, they have not forgotten this and still expect to be treated as gods

@Secret Chief is my sockpuppet.

Or, I am theirs...

Really, I don't know. To be on the safe side, one should probably worship both of us.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The root is that my inner intuition is in accord with Meher Baba and those who have attained in every religious tradition whether it be Kabbalist Judaism, Islamic Sufism, Hindu sadgurus. Buddhist enlightened ones and Christian mystics such as St. Francis of Assisi.

The details vary just as the same person can wear many different and quite distinct clothing styles. But when I look at the essence I see they are the same.

One example:
"The sounds of silence are more elevated than the sounds of speech." - Baal Shem Tov

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

In Hindu philosophy, "mauna" (silence) is both a method and the goal.

Buddhists may take a vow of silence.

I try to remember first to check inside to see if what I'm going to claim feels true. I often check it with various web sites depending on the topic to see if it is in alignment with what attained beings have said.

Psalm23

I consider the Bible my main go to source.
I think being in a group Bible study can also be helpful in understanding the Bible more.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
A full grown man looking through a cardboard tube saying “hey children,look over there,I can see Jacob climbing his ladder”,as a child I’m looking at a wall he was pointing at and it really was a wall.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is not relative to Allah(G-d), please. Right?

Regards

Allah's direct Converse with His messengers/prophets like Quran- pristine and secure "letter to letter", "word for word" and "dot for dot", please.
Right?

Regards

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Or gods?

Dreams/visions?
The internet?

My number one plumb line is what we call The Bible.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
From human science pre indoctrination as and by a living human choice. Thesis.

From recorded first historic balanced mutual life lived records original human father. Original human mother.

Why science taught the earth's heavens as a body state owned recording all body types and images and fed it back to the consciousness human.

As animate and inanimate objects all get recorded by the state it proved to my life the heavenly teaching recording that the heavens did not create life.

Parent memory father first is recorded seeing our mother come out of the eternal spirit that taught us.

Father human being our teacher. Mother life purely innocent.

DNB

Christian
Or gods?

Dreams/visions?
The internet?

For me, it is the conformity that I perceive to exist between the Bible (both Old & New Testaments), and my life experiences. I feel that no other source of information, other than the Bible, best depicts and explains the human condition, the earth and the universe, and the spiritual realms. For me, after hearing the Gospel for the first time, and already having a cursory understanding of other religions or philosophies, I knew the truth when I heard it and did not need to look any further.

Thus, fact checking occurs when one can either explain or predict a particular circumstance on earth, by means of the source of their knowledge or faith. And, for me, that is the Bible.