• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your short story or one sentence, Why Do You love God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Exactly my point: your "friendliness" is conditional. The warmth in the video - to the extent that a marketing video can be relied on at all - is reserved for members of your in-group and proselytizing prosepects.

Comparing your gay neighbours to murderers is an example of disrespect.

And you are responsible for your own decisions; you don't get to pawn that off on God.

Plenty of Christians have found more charitable interpretations of the Bible than yours, and even if you can't see any way to get to them yourself, you're still accountable for choosing to follow immoral tenets of your religion.

Well, that depends.

If God is the "still small voice" that the Bible describes, then your religion is antithetical to the will of God.

That's every theist, including you. Your God likes what you like and hates what you hate. Your God is an expression of your personal values.
What I did or believed in before I studied the Bible with those I believe love God the most as I see it (yup, as I see it), may not be somethings I would do now. Because my God tells me not to do those things and I believe He is love as well as loving.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My close association with some can be by choice. Isn't yours?

Yes. That's my point. There's no special degree of friendliness from JWs; they're just regular people, with (IMO) tribalism and salemanship ratcheted up a few notches.

Some people like to go to bars where homosexuality and adultery are rampant. That's not my choice. I knew someone who was a thief. Similarly, if someone was a child molester, do you think I should have "close association" with someone like that?

I got the impression that you're a JW, no?

Considering your church's approach of discouraging abuse victims of going to the police, the odds are probably pretty high that you do have a close association with a child molester. Maybe more than one.

It's enough of an issue in your church that I would say the mere act of being an active JW is a declaration that you're okay with having close relationships with child molesters.

I can tell such a person what I think about their actions, and what my God thinks about such things. They don't have to believe me. That's ok. That's up to them. If my neighbor, who is an overt homosexual wants to speak to me I will speak to him. If he wants to "associate", yes, I will tell him what my God says about homosexuality. He doesn't have to believe me. That's up to him. Same with adulterers and thieves. Obviously.

And now it's my turn to tell you what I think of your actions. And you don't have to believe me, either.

YoursTrue

Yes. That's my point. There's no special degree of friendliness from JWs; they're just regular people, with (IMO) tribalism and salemanship ratcheted up a few notches.

Considering your church's approach of discouraging abuse victims of going to the police, the odds are probably pretty high that you do have a close association with a child molester. Maybe more than one.

It's enough of an issue in your church that I would say the mere act of being an active JW is a declaration that you're okay with having close relationships with child molesters.

And now it's my turn to tell you what I think of your actions. And you don't have to believe me, either.
Allow me please to mention that I knew someone who was teaching his son how to steal. Is that something ok by your God or goddess?

YoursTrue

actually has nothing to do with what you call "my church." Again -- is teaching a child to steal something your God or goddess approves of?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
actually has nothing to do with what you call "my church." Again -- is teaching a child to steal something your God or goddess approves of?

Is there a way for you to make whatever point you're trying to make without bearing false witness?

YoursTrue

Is there a way for you to make whatever point you're trying to make without bearing false witness?
I believe you are the one bearing false witness. So can you answer the question as to what your God or goddess approves of or disapproves of? I mean like who or what is your God (or goddess)? If not, and you just want to assail what you think I believe, that's up to you.
P.S. I have not been following your posts, and so I apologize if I don't know exactly what you believe or what God or goddess(es) you believe in. thank you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe you are the one bearing false witness.

So you don't see an issue with making false insinuations about other people?

How does your God feel about it?

So can you answer the question as to what your God or goddess approves of or disapproves of? I mean like who or what is your God (or goddess)? If not, and you just want to assail what you think I believe, that's up to you.
P.S. I have not been following your posts, and so I apologize if I don't know exactly what you believe or what God or goddess(es) you believe in. thank you.
I thought you were being facetious. I'm an atheist.

YoursTrue

Oh, ok. Thanks for clarifying. So here's what I will say in this point of my life. :) You make up your own rules for yourself, right? I mean sometimes others impose rules, such as when the authorities arrest someone, the one arrested doesn't have too much to say about it. That's just one example. Or if I"m late with a payment I might be reported to the credit bureau and my credit score goes down. Maybe not my choice. So back to the point about rules and things like that -- as an atheist, you make up your rules for your life, right? (By the way, yes, I used to be an atheist seeing what I did around me, but -- something happened, I won't go into it now, but just to say I had been an atheist.)

YoursTrue

ok, I understand. I didn't write the Bible. I will get the scriptures together that say what is disapproved of by God. The God I worship and appreciate. One reason is that He tells me what I should do and not do. Not easy for everyone, but coming from my background, yes, I appreciate it. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
ok, I understand. I didn't write the Bible. I will get the scriptures together that say what is disapproved of by God.

No thank you. My question was rhetorical.

The God I worship and appreciate. One reason is that He tells me what I should do and not do. Not easy for everyone, but coming from my background, yes, I appreciate it. :)

Is it God telling you what you shoukd and should not do, or is it modern people interpreting Charles Taze Russell interpreting a book written by people who you hope were inspired by God?

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
No thank you. My question was rhetorical.

Is it God telling you what you shoukd and should not do, or is it modern people interpreting Charles Taze Russell interpreting a book written by people who you hope were inspired by God?
Thank You for expressing your thoughts, I use the Holy Scriptures to direct my steps especially on very important issues.

People in my faith get baptized when they want to take a stand for the standards outlined in the Bible, that is their own personal decision.

We do not judge others for anything! This is what you might not understand, I don't just like the standards in the Bible, I love them and stick by them!

I extend much kindness to you for expressing your feelings. :heart:

Aed-Maroc

*Banned*
All praise and glory belongs to God, the Most Great, and He is Most Capable of Everything.

For God has shown me Absolute Goodness. For God has given me countless things/gifts, the highest one being Himself, the fact that He has shown Himself to me and made me Certain of His Absolute Existence. For God has shown me and given me Love, and He has made it clear that He Loves me.

And by the Grace of God, He gave me the Vision to behold Him, to see Him with my own eyes.

Therefore, I am thankeful to God Alone, and He is the Most worthy of being thanked and praised by me, and I will praise Him daily and constantly to my death, and I will obey and submit to Him now and always and forever, fully.

walt

Does anyone else like this scripture about love? :)

A beautiful description of love states:
“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, . . . hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”— 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Does anyone else like this scripture about love? :)

A beautiful description of love states:
“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, . . . hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”— 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
I think you might like this my friend. :sparklingheart:

Love is heaven's kindly light, the Holy Spirit's eternal breath that vivifieth the human soul. Love is the cause of God's revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with the divine creation, in the realities of things. Love is the one means that ensureth true felicity both in this world and the next. Apr 8, 2020

'Abdu'l-Bahá on Love | Uplifting Words

walt

I think you might like this my friend. :sparklingheart:

Love is heaven's kindly light, the Holy Spirit's eternal breath that vivifieth the human soul. Love is the cause of God's revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with the divine creation, in the realities of things. Love is the one means that ensureth true felicity both in this world and the next. Apr 8, 2020

'Abdu'l-Bahá on Love | Uplifting Words

A Very Nice Inspiring blog about Love, Thank You. :heart:

InChrist

Free4ever
I am Thankful to God, for the wonderful design of the human body and all it can do!
I love God because He loved me first and demonstrated His love in a tangible way by paying the price for my sins.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us. 1 John 4:18-19

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

walt

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us. 1 John 4:18-19

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
I love those two scriptures, "We love Him because He first loved us". Like You, I love God and his Son, Christ Jesus so much. :sparklingheart: