• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Meredith Monk?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Meredith Monk - Wikipedia

Meredith_Monk_1.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I give it an 8 because you can't dance to it...
Seriously, I am open to most music, but sometimes you have to ask yourself, "Is this music, and what's the point?". Along that line, we have opened for a couple of young 'hard and thrash metal' bands (we do blues and old rock, but they seem to love us), and even though the guys are very good musicians, I am tempted to tell them that screaming and yelling is not singing (does that make me sound old?). But on the upside, I didn't mind sitting through the entire video.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I give it an 8 because you can't dance to it...
Seriously, I am open to most music, but sometimes you have to ask yourself, "Is this music, and what's the point?". Along that line, we have opened for a couple of young 'hard and thrash metal' bands (we do blues and old rock, but they seem to love us), and even though the guys are very good musicians, I am tempted to tell them that screaming and yelling is not singing (does that make me sound old?). But on the upside, I didn't mind sitting through the entire video.

Only as old as me! Thing is, an opera singer might not consider your blues and old rock to involve "proper" singing. Perhaps why the term is sometimes "vocalist" ?

Daemon Sophic

No. Just walk away kid, just walk away.
I consider art to be art when at least I or a 5 year old could not do it.

The cited piece from this “artist” is a single droning low-pitched note from an electric organ, played from beginning to end. At first I thought that this might be nice as a meditation background sound. Then the pained and frantic screeches and chirrups kicked in. :confused:
This is not art. It is not music. It is a stress-inducing noise.

Sorry. To be fair, I listened again. There are a total of 4 different, yet closely situated notes being played on that electric organ.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Only as old as me! Thing is, an opera singer might not consider your blues and old rock to involve "proper" singing. Perhaps why the term is sometimes "vocalist" ?

That wasn't my point at all; I never said anything about proprieties. An opera singer can recognize form and structure in blues and rock, but when it comes dissonance just for the sake of art, then it may become a stretch for even the most learned fan. BTW, you got any Yoko Ono albums you want to sell?

Also, I never said I didn't like it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That wasn't my point at all; I never said anything about proprieties. An opera singer can recognize form and structure in blues and rock, but when it comes dissonance just for the sake of art, then it may become a stretch for even the most learned fan. BTW, you got any Yoko Ono albums you want to sell?

Also, I never said I didn't like it.

Sorry if I missed your point, I wasn't casting dispersions. I've listened to rock (and blues) all my life. My response was because you doubted the piece was music at all and then also said that "screaming and yelling is not singing." I'm suggesting the Monk piece, the thrash metal, the opera, the blues, the rock are all music.
Dissonance is a fundamental of music as I'm sure you're aware and "just for the sake" is a subjective matter.
I don't know anything about Yoko Ono (other than the fact of who her husband was) so you'll have to get me up to speed on that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sorry if I missed your point, I wasn't casting dispersions. I've listened to rock (and blues) all my life. My response was because you doubted the piece was music at all and then also said that "screaming and yelling is not singing." I'm suggesting the Monk piece, the thrash metal, the opera, the blues, the rock are all music.
Dissonance is a fundamental of music as I'm sure you're aware and "just for the sake" is a subjective matter.
I don't know anything about Yoko Ono (other than the fact of who her husband was) so you'll have to get me up to speed on that.

Music, imho, should some discernible form or function, just like any art form. You can splatter paint on canvas and call it art, or write misspelled gibberish on a page and call it prose; but is it? Again, I'm all for the beholder deciding, but not for forcing people to accept it. You really should treat yourself and find some of Yoko's music. Enjoy.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Music, imho, should some discernible form or function, just like any art form. You can splatter paint on canvas and call it art, or write misspelled gibberish on a page and call it prose; but is it? Again, I'm all for the beholder deciding, but not for forcing people to accept it. You really should treat yourself and find some of Yoko's music. Enjoy.

You know my musical interests so readily?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I typically like experimental music.

It kind of reminds me of indigenous music with a bit of a Native American flavor.

My only criticism is the organ seems to be a canned version of a cheap Nokio keyboard that you would find in the kid's room at your aunt's house. Electronics don't typically go well with indigenous type sounds imo.

I think the native flute and percussion to be much more suitable as they are more natural extensions of the person not requiring an assist from an exterior source such as electricity excetera.

Last edited: