• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of 3HO?

Satnam!

Having grown up around Sikhs, I found this question of interest.

What are people's opinion of 3HO? I know that growing up, I would ask some of my Sikh friends, and some would tell me they weren't 'true Sikhs' and others would say that they were Sikhs, even better than those born Sikhs.

I am aware that they have a few differences. They all wear white, and tend to be very devotionally inclined. They also mix kundalini yoga with it all (which has its naysayers and yespeople). They also seem to adopt 'Singh/Kaur Khalsa' when taking Amrit.

Yogi Bhajan also claimed to be the representative of Sikhism in the West, which I've heard received some reaction.

And what does this 'Aquarian age,' 'technology' and 'technology of yoga' mean?

I do like that yogi tea though! And I have been to the 3HO tiny gurdwara in my locality, which was a very nice little program. They had many parts in English and some of Gurbani in English and Sant Bhasha, and langar was always good!

chinu

chinu
Satnam!

Having grown up around Sikhs, I found this question of interest.

What are people's opinion of 3HO? I know that growing up, I would ask some of my Sikh friends, and some would tell me they weren't 'true Sikhs' and others would say that they were Sikhs, even better than those born Sikhs.

I am aware that they have a few differences. They all wear white, and tend to be very devotionally inclined. They also mix kundalini yoga with it all (which has its naysayers and yespeople). They also seem to adopt 'Singh/Kaur Khalsa' when taking Amrit.

Yogi Bhajan also claimed to be the representative of Sikhism in the West, which I've heard received some reaction.

And what does this 'Aquarian age,' 'technology' and 'technology of yoga' mean?

I do like that yogi tea though! And I have been to the 3HO tiny gurdwara in my locality, which was a very nice little program. They had many parts in English and some of Gurbani in English and Sant Bhasha, and langar was always good!
Priya, what is 3HO ? :)

Priya, what is 3HO ? :)

3HO means Healthy, Happy and Holy Organisation. It is an association of people who mix together Sikh Dharma and kundalini yoga. Some people say that they are a sect of Sikhism! They follow the teachings of this master, named Yogi Bhajan.

Welcome | 3HO Kundalini Yoga - A Healthy, Happy, Holy Way of Life

Oh yeah, another question, is it okay to give non-Sikhs, Sikh names?

Another memory is seeing two young little Sikh boys in the little gurdwara/yoga centre. They were so cute! :flirt: Although European in background and heritage, it looks like they are third-generation 3HO Sikhs! I talked to their parents who were a little older than me, and they were also raised in 3HO.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
3HO means Healthy, Happy and Holy Organisation. It is an association of people who mix together Sikh Dharma and kundalini yoga. Some people say that they are a sect of Sikhism!
Sounds like.. they are conveying the message that OTHERS ARE Unhealthy, Unhappy and nonholy organisations. :D

Oh yeah, another question, is it okay to give non-Sikhs, Sikh names?
Sikh means a learner.

Another memory is seeing two young little Sikh boys in the little gurdwara/yoga centre. They were so cute! :flirt:
Well.. what about youg sikh boys, are they not cute ? :D

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Gaura i don;t know much abt them , but m big fan of Snatam kaur ,her music . to me she is an Angel .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofcpKUzCrw

there kids are really soooooo cute

8116773487_157b33e910.jpg
8116757603_74560ec7f3.jpg
8116756989_8a6defec00.jpg
8116765682_03b902687b.jpg
8116760022_638d86d5f9.jpg
6302089811_4d2719a12a.jpg

Last edited:
GURSIKH, I know right? :D They are very adorable! And yes, I love Snatam Kaur's music. Her voice is veritably angelic!

^___^

I was just reading some accounts of ex-YogiBhajan'ers who were born and raised in 3HO, and it is slightly sad. All the talk of being sent to abusive boarding schools, rigid strict Sikh Dharma, etc.

I really hope that the third generation will not have to undergo such austerities and that the organisation has changed from being so stringent upon its children.

Treks

They are basically another sect of Sikhi with their own ways of doing some things, like including the kundalini yoga etc. Unfortunately they have become somewhat synonymous with 'western' Sikhs so sometimes we get challenged by Punjabi Sikhs for our interest in kundalini yoga even though some of us have never even tried it and came to Sikhi by other channels.

I have a Snatam Kaur CD, it's lovely. But what's with the focus on Guru Ram Das?

They are basically another sect of Sikhi with their own ways of doing some things, like including the kundalini yoga etc. Unfortunately they have become somewhat synonymous with 'western' Sikhs so sometimes we get challenged by Punjabi Sikhs for our interest in kundalini yoga even though some of us have never even tried it and came to Sikhi by other channels.

I have a Snatam Kaur CD, it's lovely. But what's with the focus on Guru Ram Das?

Thank you so much for your post! They are a little strange and paradoxical... but I do like their health foods and music!

I believe that Guru Ram Das was a hatha yogi of some kind, and Yogi Bhajan, the guru whom they take teachings from, advocated also chanting his name.

I've met some 3HO Sikhs and at least on the forefront they are very kind people!

Treks

Eyebrow comments aside, here's a caption for the photo Gursikh ji shared:

Ang 94

Har har sajaṇ merā parīṯam rā▫i▫ā.
The Lord, Har, Har, is my Best Friend; He is my Beloved Lord King.

Ko▫ī āṇ milāvai mere parāṇ jīvā▫i▫ā.
If only someone would come and introduce me to Him, the Rejuvenator of my breath of life.

Ha▫o rėh na sakā bin ḏekẖe parīṯamā mai nīr vahe vėh cẖalai jī▫o. ||3||
I cannot survive without seeing my Beloved. My eyes are welling up with tears. ||3||

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Treks ji she seems to be in Sehaj .
followings Shabad from SGGS describe this as well ...

ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥
Slowly, gently, drop by drop, the stream of nectar trickles down within.
ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
The mind drinks it in, hearing and reflecting on the Word of the Shabad.
ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕਰੇ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
It enjoys bliss and ecstasy day and night, and plays with the Lord forever and ever. ||2||
ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕਾ ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਮਿਲਿਆ ॥
I* have now been united with the Lord after having been separated and cut off from Him for so many lifetimes;
ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੂਕਾ ਹਰਿਆ ॥
by the Grace of the Holy Saint, the dried-up branches have blossomed forth again in their greenery.
ਸੁਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਏ ਮੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
I* have obtained this sublime understanding, and I* meditate on the Naam; as Gurmukh, I* have met the Lord. ||3||
ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗੁ ਜਿਉ ਜਲਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
As the waves of water merge again with the water,
ਤਿਉ ਜੋਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥
so does my* light merge again into the Light.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਟੇ ਕਿਵਾੜਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਈਐ ਜਉਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੨੬॥
Says Nanak, the veil of illusion has been cut away, and I* shall not go out wandering any more. ||4||19||26|| ;)

*Treks ji in original gurmukhi of above shabad there is no word meaning "I or my" ,m unable to understand how/why translator used them , much is lost in translation
:(

Last edited: