• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is transtheism?

JRMcC

Is there a standard definition? Is it different from theism or pantheism? Is it both? I tend to think it is different from theism.
I got the idea to post this from a discussion about whether or not the Tao is a theistic concept. How does the concept of transtheism fit in or compare to your religion/life philosophy?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Lets seem transtheism is like its both/neither god exist or doesn't exist. The very question doesn't matter. Or something like that.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think of it as little or no focus on God/s, no big deal or important difference to you whether they exist or not - as to your practices, values, labels used, etc. Think it's something found in most theistic religious traditions with different frequency.

Baladas

An Págánach
I would define it as a belief in the Absolute (Tao, Brahman, etc) and either a belief in gods that are considered lower than the Absolute, or an agnostic position regarding gods.

Faybull

Not sure if this helps?
Back-formation from transtheistic, a term coined by Heinrich Zimmer for the theological system in Jainism.

found that at wiktionary.com.

Perhaps a look into Jainism may lend a resolve?

It goes on to state:
  1. Beyond theism or atheism, belief in one or more deities which transcend the universe and yet are also immanent; belief in a panentheistic God.

In which is states that immanent=
immanent (comparative more immanent, superlative most immanent)
  1. Naturally part of something; existing throughout and within something; inherent; integral; intrinsic; indwelling.
  2. Restricted entirely to the mind or a given domain; internal; subjective.
  3. (philosophy, metaphysics, theology, of a deity) existing within and throughout the mind and the world; dwelling within and throughout all things, all time, etc.Compare transcendent.
  4. (philosophy, of a mental act) Taking place entirely within the mind of the subject and having no effect outside of it. Compare emanant, transeunt.
  5. Being within the limits of experience or knowledge.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I googled and got this definition it was how i was using the term and how i think most use it.

"Search Results
Transtheism is a term coined by philosopher Paul Tillich or Indologist Heinrich Zimmer referring to a system of thought or religious philosophy which is neither theistic, nor atheistic, but is beyond them."
Google

JRMcC

It seems like it's a loose term. I'm reminded of the phrase "neti neti" (not this, not this). Which means more than just "you can't describe it." I'm thinking of it as a space between nihilism and theism (and I mean theism in the broadest sense).

Iti oj

Premium Member
It seems like it's a loose term. I'm reminded of the phrase "neti neti" (not this, not this). Which means more than just "you can't describe it." I'm thinking of it as a space between nihilism and theism (and I mean theism in the broadest sense).
do you equate atheism or nontheism to nihilism?

JRMcC

So, basically, as a Panentheist I am inherently a transtheist?

Seems to me that there could be two different kinds of pantheism. One kind would be transthesitic and the other would not. It depends how literal you're being when you say "God is everything."

Iti oj

Premium Member
Definitely atheism if it's the kind of atheism that denies any kind of divinity whatsoever, however impersonal.
why? i can tell you that its not true. and how i feel on things theism is more nihilistic but neither are unless the person is nihilistic.

JRMcC

why? i can tell you that its not true. and how i feel on things theism is more nihilistic but neither are unless the person is nihilistic.

Sure, I'd be happy to hear. I was under the impression that nihilism is the logical conclusion if there's no divinity. I might now what you mean about theism being nihilistic. I was once talking to a person who thinks that the absolute core of all things is a blue guy who likes to play the flute and spend time with his cows. He called the impersonalist view "voidism" and I got to thinking later on that day that if what he believed in were true I could go crazy and jump off a bridge or something. Because I find something about that scenario extremely dark and empty.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Sure, I'd be happy to hear. I was under the impression that nihilism is the logical conclusion if there's no divinity. I might now what you mean about theism being nihilistic. I was once talking to a person who thinks that the absolute core of all things is a blue guy who likes to play the flute and spend time with his cows. He called the impersonalist view "voidism" and I got to thinking later on that day that if what he believed in were true I could go crazy and jump off a bridge or something. Because I find something about that scenario extremely dark and empty.
nhilism is "the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless." where as atheism is "lacking a belief in gods or the active disbelief in them," although often accompanied by the rejection of religion. Atheism says nothing about life being meaningless. More to the point i find no value or meaning in theistic concepts. I find atheism liberating and the naturalist view inspiring and beautiful. We are free to create our own meaning.

JRMcC

nhilism is "the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless." where as atheism is "lacking a belief in gods or the active disbelief in them," although often accompanied by the rejection of religion. Atheism says nothing about life being meaningless. More to the point i find no value or meaning in theistic concepts. I find atheism liberating and the naturalist view inspiring and beautiful. We are free to create our own meaning.

Ah I see. I think the when people hear the word "nihilism" they add on negative things to it that aren't necessarily there. Interesting that you say we are free to create our own meaning, because that's exactly what Lawrence Krauss says. I agree that we're free to create are own meaning, but I also have some personal views that are outside the mainstream that affect my view on the meaning of life and morality.

Anyway, I think you have to accept nihilism before you can create your own meaning. It's just a philosophical thing. Christians will say that morality truth and meaning can't exist objectively without some kind of divinity. I agree with this, as does Nietzsche. They're saying that that's a bad thing, but I agree with you that it doesn't mean meaning and morality go away, it's just that they're subjective and us conscious beings create them, not God.

Here's from the wikipedia page on nihilism, the section on Nietzsche: "According to Nietzsche, it is only when nihilism is overcome that a culture can have a true foundation upon which to thrive. He wished to hasten its coming only so that he could also hasten its ultimate departure." So that's what I mean when I say we have to accept nihilism before we can create our own meaning. I think you and I have similar views. The difference might be that I feel there is something beyond human understanding going on, but I don't think it really negates the philosophy of nihilism.