• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Trinity?

MJFlores

I think there is one way to solve your continious hammering on Jesus who said the Father is the only God.
This when you dont wnat to accept that jesus and the Father is one Him being the Word of the Father.
lets ask an apostle who knew jesus and had first handed knowledge of what jesus said.
John, the beloved apostle of Jesus.
He wrote his epilogue to summarise what Jesus did throughout his life.
Here it is.
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

OK, so what do you say about this Word that was in the beginning with God, and was God, and who created everything, who came to the earth, who became flesh, who is the bossom of the Father!

Period.
Jesus is God!

The John 1:1-14 do you really understand this?

And you say Jesus is God in this John 1:1-14?

Let us repeat this verses again with a version more popular and easily understood.

John 1:1-4; 14 New International Version (NIV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Now let us check it out one by one....and find out if this is really Jesus Christ or something else.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

If the Word is Jesus Christ, then Jesus Christ was with God - distinguishing Jesus Christ from God.
If the Word is Jesus Christ then Jesus Christ was God - and no longer God because it is in the past tense?
This does not prove Jesus Christ is God at all but proves he is not God
And by the way where is the HS? Forgotten again?

Now what does John 1:1-4 mean? Without using opinions and assumptions let us open another version of the Bible

upload_2019-7-9_22-20-32.jpeg

THE Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine. 2 He was with God in the very beginning: 3 through him all existence came into being, no existence came into being apart from him. 4 In him life lay, and this life was the Light for men:

So the Logos became flesh and tarried among us; we have seen his glory — glory such as an only son enjoys from his father — seen it to be full of grace and reality

John THE Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine.

Now what is the Logos? It is the Word. It is about Jesus Christ but not Jesus Christ.
The Logos is the plan about Jesus Christ.
So if I were to superimpose the plan about Jesus Christ to the NIV then everything will fit perfectly and makes sense.

In the beginning was the plan about Jesus Christ, and the plan about Jesus Christ was with God, and the plan about Jesus Christ was God. The plan about Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning. Through the plan about Jesus Christ all things were made; without the plan about Jesus Christ nothing was made that has been made. In the plan about Jesus Christ was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

The plan about Jesus Christ became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

upload_2019-7-9_22-28-56.png

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I like to say that the trinity is like water. Water can flow or freeze or steam, 3 states. It is still water no matter which form it is in. So, God is still God not matter which form God is in, father, son or holy spirit.
But can the same water be in all three forms at once? If the substance is in the form of steam, what has happened to the water and ice? Have they simply disappeared for a time?

MJFlores

Big difference again in Jesus who had the glory with the Father before the world began, and the glory which you will share with God which He had before the world began.

get it?
One was joined with God, the other will get glory which existed before the world, only lateron.

How many gods to you believe in?
1 or 3?
How come you always forget the HS?
Doesn't the HS have glory too?
Is Jesus existing before the world began?
Does it make him a god?
Do the angels exist before the world began?
Does that make them gods?

MJFlores

And here is your error.
Not THE Father, but My Father.
Big difference when the father is God THE Father, and when MY Father is a specific pointing to Jesus the Son of God, and the Father HIS Father.
The Father is in Jesus and Jesus in the Father.
Again, why did you hide the verse where Jesus said He was with the Father from the beginning before the world was?
jesus was from everlasting with the Father IN the Father, and the Father IN Him.

giphy.gif

My Father = God
The Father = God
And your point is?

Now is Jesus the Father? No, he is not.
Jesus is the Son of God - the mere title of Jesus Christ is a give away
The Son belongs to God hence a different person from God.
He is not God but the Son of God.

Matthew 16:16 New International Version (NIV)

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
What is God’s SON’s NAME? (Pro 30: 4)

Pro 30:4 Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what [is] his name, and what [is] his son's name, if thou canst tell?

(Cut for brevity. System will only post less than 1200 word posts).

Very often people that accept the Trinity doctrine, the triune identity of God, defend the named Trinity, Father God, Son, Holy Spirit, are three separate and distinct persons.
That is not true.
God is a title that is not separate from the fact that said title describes the Holy Spirit. God is a spirit and as such must be worshiped in spirit. (John 4:24)
The Son was God manifest. Woven together in his mothers womb by the Holy Spirit God. Flesh, bone, all that comprises the human anatomy and physiology, was created by God "in the beginning".
There was only one.

Think of it in human terms. We'll use as example an adult male and name him Joshua.
Joshua is married and that means his title then is, husband.
Joshua and his wife have 2 kids. Joshua's title then is, dad.
Joshua works as an architect.
Therefore, we have Joshua who is a husband, a dad, and an architect.
Are there three Joshua's?
Or is there one Joshua in three different jobs?

Jesus tells us all sins are forgiven. However, blasphemy of the holy spirit is the one unforgivable sin. Matthew 12:31.
Not , blasphemy of God. Or, blasphemy of the Son. Or, blasphemy of the holy spirit. One sin. Blasphemy of the holy spirit.
"God" is holy spirit. Jesus was God in flesh. One. Only ever, one.

How Trinity entered the church in 325 AD at the Council of Nicaea.

SA Huguenot

n the beginning was the plan about Jesus Christ, and the plan about Jesus Christ was with God, and the plan about Jesus Christ was God. The plan about Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning. Through the plan about Jesus Christ all things were made; without the plan about Jesus Christ nothing was made that has been made. In the plan about Jesus Christ was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

The plan about Jesus Christ became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
And you have to twist and turn everything to achieve no meaning at all.
Since when does the Word of God become the Plan of God?
What scriptual evidence do you have for this?
Nothing at all.
Your interperetation destroys any meaning about the verse.
Look at your sillyness when you want to feed me this: "The plan about Jesus Christ WAS GOD..."

IN YOUR HASTE TO DESTROY THE MEANING OF THE WORD BEING GOD, YOU NOW MADE A DRAWING OF JESUS A GOD!!
If I did not have manners, I would call this "Insurmountable stupidity!"

So, to rid Jesus of his divine descriptions in the Bible, you want to change the writing of someone who knew Him.
To conclude, If I have to choose between your twisting of scripture, and John who wrote these verses, I will have to say to you...Mene, mene, tekel, upharsen...
greetings

SA Huguenot

Very often people that accept the Trinity doctrine, the triune identity of God, defend the named Trinity, Father God, Son, Holy Spirit, are three separate and distinct persons.
That is not true.
God is a title that is not separate from the fact that said title describes the Holy Spirit. God is a spirit and as such must be worshiped in spirit. (John 4:24)
The Son was God manifest. Woven together in his mothers womb by the Holy Spirit God. Flesh, bone, all that comprises the human anatomy and physiology, was created by God "in the beginning".
There was only one.

Think of it in human terms. We'll use as example an adult male and name him Joshua.
Joshua is married and that means his title then is, husband.
Joshua and his wife have 2 kids. Joshua's title then is, dad.
Joshua works as an architect.
Therefore, we have Joshua who is a husband, a dad, and an architect.
Are there three Joshua's?
Or is there one Joshua in three different jobs?

Jesus tells us all sins are forgiven. However, blasphemy of the holy spirit is the one unforgivable sin. Matthew 12:31.
Not , blasphemy of God. Or, blasphemy of the Son. Or, blasphemy of the holy spirit. One sin. Blasphemy of the holy spirit.
"God" is holy spirit. Jesus was God in flesh. One. Only ever, one.

How Trinity entered the church in 325 AD at the Council of Nicaea.
And this argument is destroyed when you read that one can blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.
In the beginning God created the Heaven and Earth, and teh Spirit of God hovered above the waters.
sorry pal, the Holy Spirit is a person and he can leave the father, just as the Word left the Father to interact with creation.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
And this argument is destroyed when you read that one can blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.
In the beginning God created the Heaven and Earth, and teh Spirit of God hovered above the waters.
sorry pal, the Holy Spirit is a person and he can leave the father, just as the Word left the Father to interact with creation.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God." John 1:1

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth (John 1:14).

Word = Logos
Logos Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Interesting rewording of Charles Spurgeon's words in your signature. Do you realize you contradict that when you make these posts defending the scripture as you understand it ?

The Word of God can take care of itself, and will do so if we preach it, and cease defending it. See you that lion. They have caged him for his preservation; shut him up behind iron bars to secure him from his foes! See how a band of armed men have gathered together to protect the lion. What a clatter they make with their swords and spears! These mighty men are intent upon defending a lion. O fools, and slow of heart! Open that door! Let the lord of the forest come forth free. Who will dare to encounter him? What does he want with your guardian care? Let the pure gospel go forth in all its lion-like majesty, and it will soon clear its own way and ease itself of its adversaries. – Charles Spurgeon / “The Lover of God’s Law Filled with Peace” (January 1888)
Charles Spurgeon On Letting God's Word Defend Itself - [Quote] • The Majesty's Men
God's peace be with you sir. :praying: Amen

SA Huguenot

How many gods to you believe in?
1 or 3?
How come you always forget the HS?
Doesn't the HS have glory too?
Is Jesus existing before the world began?
Does it make him a god?
Do the angels exist before the world began?
Does that make them gods?
I beleive in one God, YHWH who has a Spirit and a Word.
So far I only discussed the Word and the Father.
The Spirit will still be discussed.
No, angels were created before people, but it does not make them God at all.
However, taking your question into perspective you now say.

Jesus existed before the World began, angels also.
Angels are not Gods, therefore jesus is not God.

Well, your error is in this that no angel ever claimed to be God, except for the Theopany of Jesus in the Old Testament.
Angels are known as ancient creations before man.
Yet, Jesus appeared as a Man, and claimed He was in existance since the beginning!
Big difference.
If Jesus were to say, I was born but never existed before that time, it would be a denial of His divinity.
But he said he knew Abraham, he was there with creation, He existed with the Father from before the World began.
This is solid evidence that Jesus claimed to be more than just a man.
Only God can claim this.

Thankyou for this truth.
You dont know what you did to further my clain of Jesus' divinity.
Jou opened something I would never have thought about, and proved JESUS IS GOD!!!

MJFlores

Since when does the Word of God become the Plan of God?
What scriptual evidence do you have for this?
Nothing at all.
Your interperetation destroys any meaning about the verse.
Look at your sillyness when you want to feed me this: "The plan about Jesus Christ WAS GOD..."

IN YOUR HASTE TO DESTROY THE MEANING OF THE WORD BEING GOD, YOU NOW MADE A DRAWING OF JESUS A GOD!!
If I did not have manners, I would call this "Insurmountable stupidity!"

So, to rid Jesus of his divine descriptions in the Bible, you want to change the writing of someone who knew Him.
To conclude, If I have to choose between your twisting of scripture, and John who wrote these verses, I will have to say to you...Mene, mene, tekel, upharsen...
greetings

giphy.gif

Because....

Luke 1:37 New International Version (NIV)
For no word from God will ever fail.”

If the Word in John 1:1-4 is really Jesus Christ, why don't we superimpose Jesus Christ as the Word?

John 1:1-4 New International Version (NIV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

the Word and the pronouns superimposed with Jesus Christ

In the beginning was Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ was with God, and Jesus Christ was God. Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning. Through Jesus Christ all things were made; without Jesus Christ nothing was made that has been made. In Jesus Christ was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

Now does it fit? If the word is Jesus Christ, as you say the following can be derived:

1] Jesus Christ was with God - hence Jesus Christ is not God because he is with God
2] Jesus Christ was God - past tense, no longer God and this is in the beginning - used to be God but not anymore
3] Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning - and it really distinguishes who is God and who is Jesus Christ and clearly enough Jesus Christ is not God but he was with God in the beginning.
4] Through Jesus Christ all things were made - he was made an instrument for which creation was made by God.

These are the points if we superimpose THE WORD with JESUS CHRIST
And it does not prove Jesus Christ is God but rather the opposite.

MJFlores

I beleive in one God, YHWH who has a Spirit and a Word.
So far I only discussed the Word and the Father.
The Spirit will still be discussed.
No, angels were created before people, but it does not make them God at all.
However, taking your question into perspective you now say.

Jesus existed before the World began, angels also.
Angels are not Gods, therefore jesus is not God.

Well, your error is in this that no angel ever claimed to be God, except for the Theopany of Jesus in the Old Testament.
Angels are known as ancient creations before man.
Yet, Jesus appeared as a Man, and claimed He was in existance since the beginning!
Big difference.
If Jesus were to say, I was born but never existed before that time, it would be a denial of His divinity.
But he said he knew Abraham, he was there with creation, He existed with the Father from before the World began.
This is solid evidence that Jesus claimed to be more than just a man.
Only God can claim this.

Thankyou for this truth.
You dont know what you did to further my clain of Jesus' divinity.
Jou opened something I would never have thought about, and proved JESUS IS GOD!!!

It is an invented doctrine and not from the Bible.
A lot of people had been had.
Used to cling on to it but I had to read it for myself and face the truth.

Trinity

"Father, Son, Holy Ghost"; "Holy Trinity"; and "Trinitarian" redirect here. For the album, see Father, Son, Holy Ghost (album). For the holy trinity in cooking, see Holy trinity (cuisine). For other uses, see Holy Trinity (disambiguation), Trinitarian (disambiguation), and Trinity (disambiguation).

Etymology
The word trinity is derived from Latin trinitas, meaning "the number three, a triad, tri". This abstract noun is formed from the adjective trinus (three each, threefold, triple),[9] as the word unitas is the abstract noun formed from unus (one).

The corresponding word in Greek is τριάς, meaning "a set of three" or "the number three".[10] The first recorded use of this Greek word in Christian theology was by Theophilus of Antioch in about the year 170. He wrote:[11]

In like manner also the three days which were before the luminaries, are types of the Trinity [Τριάδος], of God, and His Word, and His wisdom. And the fourth is the type of man, who needs light, that so there may be God, the Word, wisdom, man. (Aut. II.XV)

History
Further information: Trinitarianism in the Church Fathers

The earliest known depiction of the Trinity, Dogmatic Sarcophagus, AD 350.Vatican Museums

The Adoration of the Trinity by Albrecht Dürer (1511). From top to bottom: Holy Spirit (dove), God the Father and the crucified Christ.

The "Heavenly Trinity" joined to the "Earthly Trinity" through the Incarnation of the Son, by Murillo, c. 1677.[12]
From the Ante-Nicene Fathers to NicaeaEdit
While the developed doctrine of the Trinity is not explicit in the books that constitute the New Testament, it was first formulated as early Christians attempted to understand the relationship between Jesus and God in their scriptural documents and prior traditions.[8] The New Testament possesses a "triadic" understanding of God[6] and contains a number of Trinitarian formulas.[7] The Ante-Nicene Fathers asserted Christ's deity and spoke of "Father, Son and Holy Spirit", even though their language is not that of the traditional doctrine as formalized in the fourth century. Trinitarians view these as elements of the codified doctrine. An early Trinitarian formula appears towards the end of the first century, where Clement of Rome rhetorically asks in his epistle as to why corruption exists among some in the Christian community; "Do we not have one God, and one Christ, and one gracious Spirit that has been poured out upon us, and one calling in Christ?"[13] Ignatius of Antioch provides early support for the Trinity around 110, exhorting obedience to "Christ, and to the Father, and to the Spirit".[14] The pseudonymous Ascension of Isaiah, written sometime between the end of the first century and the beginning of the third century, possesses a "proto-trinitarian" view, such as in its narrative of how the inhabitants of the sixth heaven sing praises to "the primal Father and his Beloved Christ, and the Holy Spirit".[15] Justin Martyr (AD 100–c. 165) also writes, "in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit".[16] The first of the early church fathers to be recorded using the word "Trinity" was Theophilus of Antioch writing in the late 2nd century. He defines the Trinity as God, His Word (Logos) and His Wisdom (Sophia)[17] in the context of a discussion of the first three days of creation, following the early Christian practice of identifying the Holy Spirit as the Wisdom of God.[18] The first defense of the doctrine of the Trinity was in the early 3rd century by the early church father Tertullian. He explicitly defined the Trinity as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and defended his theology against "Praxeas",[19] though he noted that the majority of the believers in his day found issue with his doctrine.[20] St. Justin and Clement of Alexandria used the Trinity in their doxologies and St. Basil likewise, in the evening lighting of lamps.[21] Origen of Alexandria (AD 185-c. 253) has often been interpreted as Subordinationist, but some modern researchers have argued that Origen might have actually been anti-Subordinationist.[22][23]

Trinity - Wikipedia

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
But you can not have one iron man suit working, whilst Tony stark is in his office.
Whilst the Father is in heaven, His Spirit can enter creation and his Word be creation.

Tony Stark has been known to operate a suit while he isn't in it. So a suit can work while Tony is in his officer.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I thought I should open a thread to discuss the Trinity to clarify the details to benefit my own thinking. I love to discuss such topics on forums like this, to get all the information sorted, and all the arguments noted.

The argument against the Trinity goes as such.

Trinitarians believe in 3 gods. The Trinity was concocted by Constantine, or some even claim that Paul invented the Trinity. The Unitarians again, they claim that the Trinity derived from Egyptian or Indian paganism.

Be as it may, I believe in the Trinity where God the Father is revealed as YHWH, He has a Word, who we know as Jesus, and a Spirit we call the Holy Ghost.

I am quite convinced from the Bible that YHWH is a Trinity, and to me it does not mean a polytheistic god at all.
Please note, If I believed the Trinity are 3 gods, I will be the first to condemn this concept.

With about 4 questions to anyone who claims the Trinity is inexplainable, and confusing to understand, everyone will be able to understand the Trinity.

Here is the first question.

Is there anything in the Universe that can be compared with the Trinity?

Christian apologists say it is not possible, because if there is anything we can compare with God, we will obviously have a second god.

It is a reasonable claim, but what does God say, can we compare Him to anything?
Just for the record, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints call the trinity the God Head and here are their basic beliefs:

Godhead

lostwanderingsoul

Just for the record, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints call the trinity the God Head and here are their basic beliefs:

Godhead
Instead of "Godhead" you could also say "God Family". Just like a human family can have several persons but still be one family, so "God" can be several "persons" but still one God. Think of God as a family.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Instead of "Godhead" you could also say "God Family". Just like a human family can have several persons but still be one family, so "God" can be several "persons" but still one God. Think of God as a family.
Sure thing I already do, but thanks for reminding me. I needed to be reminded.

MJFlores

The word TRINITY could not be found in any Bible version
However, TRINITY is the character played by Kate Moss in the Matrix

giphy.gif

But seriously, the word TRINITY was coined by Tertullian (/tərˈtʌliən/; full name Quintus Septimius Florens Tertullianus; c. 155 – c. 240 AD)

Tertullian - Wikipedia

basic-christian-trinitarian-principles-falsehood-exposed-17-728.jpg

200 AD _ the last Apostle who died was John at 100 AD
So it is obvious that false doctrines seeped in the first church of Christ.

Fast forward to 325 AD the Nicaea Council voted that Christ is God
First Council of Nicaea - Wikipedia
What were they thinking? Do they think that Christianity is a game show like

upload_2019-7-10_10-14-13.png

That you can vote somebody as God? Well that is what exactly happen in 325 AD.
But wait there is more, in 381 AD, 56 years later, they voted the HS as God!
First Council of Constantinople - Wikipedia

So the Trinity is not based in the Bible but established through the vote of the Council bishops
Oh by the way, these bishops are long dead
upload_2019-7-10_10-21-41.jpeg

And now we see people clinging to a man made doctrine because they follow the Trinity blindly.
They could not understand why 1 + 1+ 1 = 1
They just follow without question because the truth is not really important to them.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
1. God

2. The Prophets, Educators, Avatars, Buddhas

3. Mankind

1. God is One without peer

2. The Prophets and Educators such as Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Muhammad, Christ are sent by God to educate humanity.

3. As humanity is unable to contact God directly there is need for an Intermediary. The Prophets are the Links between God and mankind.

In order for us to receive guidance and counsel from God we needed someone to come in human form. So the Orophets which I believe are pre existent, took human form.

I believe this simple concept later degenerated into superstitious interpretations and doctrines and became known as the trinity.

SA Huguenot

1] Jesus Christ was with God - hence Jesus Christ is not God because he is with God
2] Jesus Christ was God - past tense, no longer God and this is in the beginning - used to be God but not anymore
3] Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning - and it really distinguishes who is God and who is Jesus Christ and clearly enough Jesus Christ is not God but he was with God in the beginning.
4] Through Jesus Christ all things were made - he was made an instrument for which creation was made by God.
Now we are getting somewhere!
So, in your 4 points, in point 2 you say, Jesus was God, but he lost his divinity because He became a Man?
Therefore, you agree that Jesus was God with the Father in the beginning, and Jesus created everything?
if it was not for Jesus, nothing would have existed?