• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the significance of the palm branches in John 12:13

roger1440

I do stuff
“They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the king of Israel!"”

palm-sunday.jpg

“They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the king of Israel!"”

palm-sunday.jpg

According to one of my Bibles, it was the Feast of Tabernacles (cf. verse 12), and palm branches were used during that feast (Lev. 23:40). My Catholic Bible also cites two places in the Maccabees where palm branches were used to celebrate military victories (1 Macc. 13:51; 2 Macc. 10:7).

Kolibri

Wrong month. Festival of Booths/Tabernacles was Ethanim 15-21, which corresponds to our Sept-Oct. Though palm branches were used in that festival as well.
Jesus entering Jerusalem as king-designate was right before the Passover- which would be somewhat near the spring equinox. (March-April)

Evidently these served to symbolize their praise as well as their submission to his regal position.
The “great crowd” of Revelation 7:9, 10 are likewise pictured with palm branches in their hands, ascribing salvation to God and to the Lamb.

Wrong month. Festival of Booths/Tabernacles was Ethanim 15-21, which corresponds to our Sept-Oct. Though palm branches were used in that festival as well.
Jesus entering Jerusalem as king-designate was right before the Passover- which would be somewhat near the spring equinox. (March-April)
Ah ok thanks for the clarification. Clearly my knowledge of the Jewish calendar is sub-par. :p

Kolibri

yes. Some translations use the word "festival" instead of feast.

This event was likely around sunrise of Nisan 9th. The Passover is Nisan 14th. This year, Nisan 9th would start at sundown on March 30th and the anniversary of this triumphal entry into Jerusalem would be in the following morning, March 31st.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

What is the significance of the palm branches in John 12:13

They were associated with the Sun, and were Sacred to the Sun God and Sun/Moon Goddess.

They represent triumph, victory, rising from the ash, etc. The circle of the year and rebirth of the Sun.

The palm was the Tree of Life in the Babylonian Garden of Eden story.

Graves says the palm was Sacred to Belili, Ishtar's predecessor, and who was a lover of Du'uzu, or Tammuz.

He says the Israelites having taken it over from the Canaanites' Tabernacle ceremonies and incorporated it into the Mosaic Law, for the Feast of Tabernacles. (And of course, it is believed they originally were Canaanites.)

He also says its Hebrew name Tamar - the Hebrew equivalent of the Great Goddess Ishtar, or Ashtaroth/Asherah. And that Arabians annually dressed and adorned a palm, representing her. Asherah, or Ashtoreth, was the name of the deity worshiped in ancient Syria, Phoenicia, and Canaan, and according to the Bible, - by the Israelites.

Apparently a Christian sect called the Collyridians, an Arabian sect, continued offering the same cakes and drink offerings, at Mary's shrine, that they originally offered to Ashtaroth/Asherah.

Hummm! If the Palm represents the Sun, and Asherah (God's Mate,) the circle of the year, and life, triumph, and rising from the ash, - this gives a whole new spin of ideas, with the association with Jesus and his death and rising, and his Sun Cross and Halo, and the Palms use at Spring Equinox, Easter . But also with the Feast of Tabernacles.

roger1440

I do stuff
They were associated with the Sun, and were Sacred to the Sun God and Sun/Moon Goddess.

They represent triumph, victory, rising from the ash, etc. The circle of the year and rebirth of the Sun.

The palm was the Tree of Life in the Babylonian Garden of Eden story.

Graves says the palm was Sacred to Belili, Ishtar's predecessor, and who was a lover of Du'uzu, or Tammuz.

He says the Israelites having taken it over from the Canaanites' Tabernacle ceremonies and incorporated it into the Mosaic Law, for the Feast of Tabernacles. (And of course, it is believed they originally were Canaanites.)

He also says its Hebrew name Tamar - the Hebrew equivalent of the Great Goddess Ishtar, or Ashtaroth/Asherah. And that Arabians annually dressed and adorned a palm, representing her. Asherah, or Ashtoreth, was the name of the deity worshiped in ancient Syria, Phoenicia, and Canaan, and according to the Bible, - by the Israelites.

Apparently a Christian sect called the Collyridians, an Arabian sect, continued offering the same cakes and drink offerings, at Mary's shrine, that they originally offered to Ashtaroth/Asherah.

Hummm! If the Palm represents the Sun, and Asherah (God's Mate,) the circle of the year, and life, triumph, and rising from the ash, - this gives a whole new spin of ideas, with the association with Jesus and his death and rising, and his Sun Cross and Halo, and the Palms use at Spring Equinox, Easter . But also with the Feast of Tabernacles.

I think it’s more closely related to The Feast of Tabernacles not the origin of the feast or its predecessor. The author of John’s gospel seems to be playing with the number seven.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I think it’s more closely related to The Feast of Tabernacles not the origin of the feast or its predecessor. The author of John’s gospel seems to be playing with the number seven.

Could you be a little clearer here?

What is more closely related to the Feast of Tabernacles? The Palm? It is related to both Tabernacles, and Pascha.

In fact Palms are still associated with Easter. When I was a Christian, we were given palm fronds for Easter, - which we wove into crosses, or stars, etc, - and then saved to put on our Christmas trees.

And what do you mean by seven in this context?

roger1440

I do stuff
Could you be a little clearer here?

What is more closely related to the Feast of Tabernacles? The Palm? It is related to both Tabernacles, and Pascha.

In fact Palms are still associated with Easter. When I was a Christian, we were given palm fronds for Easter, - which we wove into crosses, or stars, etc, - and then saved to put on our Christmas trees.

And what do you mean by seven in this context?

The Festival Of Ingathering or Festival Of Harvest commemorates the cycle of life and/or regeneration true?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The Festival Of Ingathering or Festival Of Harvest commemorates the cycle of life and/or regeneration true?

As I said - both.

Harvest is obviously a circle, as is the commemoration of coming back home from slavery.

But Pesach is also one of the Shalosh R'galim. And of course it includes the Sacrifice. .

roger1440

I do stuff
John’s gospel is associating the Festival of Harvest with Jesus. The festival symbolizes renewal. It starts on a Sabbath and ends on the following Sabbath. The second Sabbath represents the start of a new cycle or renewal. The renewal of the sprit can only come from God. Jesus’s life is an example of the renewal of the spirt according to John’s gospel.

The Jews had spent 40 years in the dessert in order for God to transform them from a nation of slaves into a holy, righteous nation worthy to enter the promise land. The 40 years was implemented in order that the generation that had left Egypt would die and the next generation would enter the promise land. This can be looked at as a cycle of renewal.

It will take me a while to connect all the dots to come up with a nice pretty picture. What I do know is that John’s gospel is much more advanced in theology then the synoptic gospels are. I lack a full understanding of the Jewish festivals, but I am convinced there is a connection.