• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the relationship between morality and spirituality?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Seems to be gettin' a mite more complicated than is needed,

Spirituality: Of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Don't see that they're directly connected, especially if one does not engage a belief system that claims a brain/soul duality exists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
They both have their own purpose and goal

The purpose and goal for Morality is to make good and bad behaviors clear.

The purpose and goal for Spirituality is traditionally to get a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life.

I should also note that there is no precise definition of spirituality.

I'm a LeVayan Satanist. :)

Haha okay. There is no percise def. of spirituality? So, can an individual define spirituality for himself (atheist, alien, spock, muslim) without needing to fit into that traditional def. of looking for something bigger than self?

That caught me.

Spirituality: Of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Don't see that they're directly connected, especially if one does not engage a belief system that claims a brain/soul duality exists.
Damn you did a better job simplifying it than I did... o_O
Thanks a bunch man! :D

Haha okay. There is no percise def. of spirituality? So, can an individual define spirituality for himself (atheisr, alien, spock, muslim) without needing to fit into that traditional def. of looking for something bigger than self?

That caught me.
Good question! I don't know! :p
I suppose so right?

Here is the source I got that from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Second paragraph.
Haven't read the entire wiki page but that's what I found right there.
Feel free to tell me what that means if you will. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

English uses one word to mean fifty different meaning. One person may say "I am spiritual" the other "I am at peace with myself." While another "I am religious" yet another "I devote my life to my children"

So you can disbelief in a spirit and still be spiritual (from one persons definition) but be at peace in yours.

English.

English uses one word to mean fifty different meaning. One person may say "I am spiritual" the other "I am at peace with myself." While another "I am religious" yet another "I devote my life to my children"

So you can disbelief in a spirit and still be spiritual (from one persons definition) but be at peace in yours.

English.

Point taken! :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good question! I don't know! :p
I suppose so right?

Here is the source I got that from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Second paragraph.
Haven't read the entire wiki page but that's what I found right there.
Feel free to tell me what that means if you will. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Under definition and traditional, spirituality used to relate to organized religious experience. Now, its a "transformation of personality" (as I read second paragraph) ans meaninful activity.

Taking out organized religions, Id say every person can have a meaningful experience and transformation regardless of what they believe in or dont.

That. And Wiki isnt my fav. rescource..but the transformation and meaninfulness seem close and general enough to hopefully not bump heads.

Under definition and traditional, spirituality used to relate to organized religious experience. Now, its a "transformation of personality" (as I read second paragraph) ans meaninful activity.

Taking out organized religions, Id say every person can have a meaningful experience and transformation regardless of what they believe in or dont.

That. And Wiki isnt my fav. rescource..but the transformation and meaninfulness seem close and general enough to hopefully not bump heads.

Alright thanks for the insight! :) I'll keep this in mind for the future.
Dark Blessings!

True wisdom is through shared knowledge. Thanks for your knowledge! :)

Gambit

They both have their own purpose and goal

The purpose and goal for Morality is to make good and bad behaviors clear.

The purpose and goal for Spirituality is traditionally to get a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life.

But why do think this implies that there is no relationship between morality and spirituality?

I'm a LeVayan Satanist. :)

Is LeVayan Satanism atheistic?

Does LeVayan Satanism qualify as a religion?

But why do think this implies that there is no relationship between morality and spirituality?

Is LeVayan Satanism atheistic?

Does LeVayan Satanism qualify as a religion?

Yes LeVayan Satanism is atheistic and it's qualified as a religion. Though it's viewed more as a philosophy of life.

Perhaps there is a relationship between Spirituality and Morality.
However it is important to note that one does not need to be spiritual to have morality.

People like me are Carnal by nature and not spiritual.

vaguelyhumanoid

Spirituality has to do with pursuing the mystic or sacred. Morality has to do with how we treat people etc. Spirituality can inform morality but it's its own thing. You can live a life with no spiritual component but it's hard to imagine a life with no moral values whatsoever.

Gambit

Well, if God is love and one desires to experience God (a spiritual experience), then practicing love (morality) might lead to such an experience. It's not that complicated.

Straw Dog

What is morality? What is spirituality? What is the relationship between morality and spirituality?

Morality involves how we relate well to each other and spirituality involves how we relate well to that which transcends us. They both involve a higher context in which we may more accurately and reliably determine our actions. How well we relate to each other and how well we accord to that which transcends us are intimately related in such a way that it defines our relationship to most real interactions. It's not what we say or believe, but what we do that matters most.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No connection. For this question to be meaningful, a cogent, consistent definition of spiritually would be necessary.

Gambit

Morality involves how we relate well to each other and spirituality involves how we relate well to that which transcends us. They both involve a higher context in which we may more accurately and reliably determine our actions. How well we relate to each other and how well we accord to that which transcends us are intimately related in such a way that it defines our relationship to most real interactions. It's not what we say or believe, but what we do that matters most.

Interesting.