• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the relationship between morality and spirituality?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Well, if God is love and one desires to experience God (a spiritual experience), then practicing love (morality) might lead to such an experience. It's not that complicated.
Well, since there is no evidence of any gods, yet love still seem to exist, you have to rethink that line inquiry.

Deidre

I think it's natural to feel 'called' to a certain set of moral codes depending on one's faith. We can probably agree on a number of them, but then there are subtle nuances with some ...and different spiritual beliefs may differ at that point.

vaguelyhumanoid

Perhaps, I should have employed the term panpsychism or pantheism.

Panpsychism is "everything has a mind", it's almost the same as animism. My point is that there are a lot of pluralist (as opposed to monist) religions/cultural worldviews that involve magic.

Gambit

Panpsychism is "everything has a mind", it's almost the same as animism. My point is that there are a lot of pluralist (as opposed to monist) religions/cultural worldviews that involve magic.

You're really missing the point. The point is that he said atheists do not believe in anything spiritual, and yet he (as an atheist) believes in magic.

vaguelyhumanoid

You're really missing the point. The point is that he said atheists do not believe in anything spiritual, and yet he (as an atheist) believes in magic.

As for that, I agree. I was just pointing out that it's not accurate to say that magic always indicates a monistic view.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Spirituality doesn't factor into morality for me. My morality is based on the application of normative ethics, particularly consequentialist utilitarianism. I believe the highest moral behavior is to maximize happiness and minimize suffering based on tangible, observable consequences of actions. So any form of traditionalism, including spiritual traditionalism, would be subjected to the same scrutiny as me. If spiritual tradition requires me to do something I believe will harm more people than help, then I would discard that option.