• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose or essence of religion?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't think that's true. Most people fear death I think. It's the unknown, after all. Some don't turn to religion because they want to be the only one with any day about their life.

Well, according to Erik Erikson's study old people sometimes come to peace with death. But once you understand the psychology involved you can learn to cope with prospect of death and accept it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nobody said you didn't have the right. And some religions are false or corrupt. But my point is that I believe atheists are that way because of not wanting God to run their lives, not so much because they can't believe in him. Of course agnostics may just not want to bother trying to understand God or they may honestly be undecided about him.
In my experience, a person’s God generally agrees with them on every point, so there's no practical difference between someone running their own life entirely as they see fit and them "deferring" to God's guidance.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In my experience, a person’s God generally agrees with them on every point, so there's no practical difference between someone running their own life entirely as they see fit and them "deferring" to God's guidance.

That is not unique to religion. That is so of all cognitive world views.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But my point is that I believe atheists are that way because of not wanting God to run their lives, not so much because they can't believe in him.

You really do not know much about atheism do you?

Maybe you are confusing agnosticism with atheism.

FYI.
Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

It is not, 'oh i am pissed off with god so I'll ignore him'. That is a religionist point of view. It is not, i don't know if any gods exists so they might.

It is god is just as valid as harry potter, a fictional character in a book. Why should anyone want a fictional character to run their lives?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

FYI.

It is not, 'oh i am pissed off with god so I'll ignore him'. That is a religionist point of view. It is not, i don't know if any gods exists so they might.

It is god is just as valid as harry potter, a fictional character in a book. Why should anyone want a fictional character to run their lives?

That is on you and not representative of atheism as such.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

FYI.

Yeah, as Doug Wilson said about his experience with atheists, they are usually like this: " I don't believe in God and I hate him."

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I wish God would agree with me! But no, he keeps talking about treating people well and such. It's so annoying.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yeah, as Doug Wilson said about his experience with atheists, they are usually like this: " I don't believe in God and I hate him."

One guys (conservative, evangelical theologian bigmouth who knows nothing about atheism) bull poop does not change the definition but feel free to go with your confirmation bias

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I'm an atheist because "letting God run my life" is not something I see as possible. And oftentimes when I hear other people talk about "God running their lives" it looks (to me) like it's just other people or some organization running their lives and God has nothing to do with it.

You can't fault someone for saying "no" to that.

If God appeared in the sky and said, "Okay. This is the real deal. I'm going to tell you how to ideally run your life." Then MAYBE you could fault an atheist for saying "no" to the running of life prescriptions that followed. But as sketchy as religious notions are? Hell no.

I'm not trying to disobey God. I'm trying to steer clear of con artists.
Me too...that's why I search out churches that don't have agendas that have nothing to do with the gospel. Keeping the gospel the main thing, keeping Jesus at the forefront and not some charismatic speaker is very important.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
It doesn't make sense to hate God if you don't believe God exist. :)

Richard Dawkins wrote a book "God delusion"
his book can be reduced to the following:

God of the old testament is vengeful
I don't like such God
Therefore God doesn't exist

This is pretty common and more likely thought of atheists than "I don't believe in God and I hate him"

ChristineM

Premium Member

I will add that such people are usually rather ignorant if anything outside their tiny sphere of knowledge, and so make up stories based on that limited knowledge to massage their own ego and please the attentive crown of similar types of people who soak in every word without even thinking whether its valid or not

Your comment here simply validates my belief.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It doesn't make sense to hate God if you don't believe God exist. :)

Richard Dawkins wrote a book "God delusion"
his book can be reduced to the following:

God of the old testament is vengeful
I don't like such God
Therefore God doesn't exist

This is pretty common and more likely thought of atheists than "I don't believe in God and I hate him"
Have you actually read that book? If yes, then I suggest you read it again.

Your logic makes no sense at all