• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the point in telling all those Bahai persecution stories?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
(Kindly move this to “Religious Debates” if you feel answering in the Bahai DIR would be inappropriate.)

With all respect due, time and again I have come lurking into the Bahai forum, to maybe learn something about Bahaism, but what I mostly have learned so far is reading about those “persecution stories”, and now I’ve seriously come to ask myself, what’s the point in telling all these stories.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I read somewhere that Bahai authorities don’t allow their followers to engage politically except for interfaith projects. It may be a subjective experience but when I was a member of Amnesty International and a human rights representative at the students’ council of “my” university, there also was a Bahai community. I suggested we might cooperate on those human rights issues, but they weren’t interested. In fact, they didn’t even bother to reply. Just my two cents, but that could be seen as evidence that Bahai’s must not engage politically.

So my question is are these stories addressing to fellow Bahai’s to make them feel good of suffering for the “good cause”, because IMHO they don’t seem to suggest anything practical in terms of actually getting help.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
(Kindly move this to “Religious Debates” if you feel answering in the Bahai DIR would be inappropriate.)
I hope his gets moved because I, as a former Baha'i (but not anti-Baha'i), believe I can add two cents here.

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks for your post Sirona... and welcome to the Baha'i Faith DIR!

You ask: "What’s the point in telling all these stories"?

I'll give my own response here as I've posted several..

Iran is a closed society.. that is there are restrictions on media in publishing stories especially if they reflect on a regime that is bent on persecuting a minority religion. The media in general carries very few stories about imprisonment of Baha'is..once in a while they do but not very often. We do receive translated reports of persecution in Iran from the Iran Press Watch which is dedicated to documenting the persecution of the Baha'i Community in Iran... If it were not for that resource there would be few if any stories documenting persecution and those supporting the closed society of Iran would be I'm sure gratified.

The Iran Press Watch is online at

http://iranpresswatch.org/

and you asked:

"Bahai authorities don’t allow their followers to engage politically except for interfaith projects..."

My response:

Baha'is are not to be involved in partisan politics... We do not register to vote as Republicans, Democrats or any politically partisan group in any country where we live.. We can serve on non-partisan commissions ..Baha'is generally do participate in Interfaith communities.
Being unfamiliar Sirona with your "university" I cannot comment on what you are relating to in your statement re. the Baha'i community there but while Baha'is as individuals may collaborate with some of the interests of Amnesty International we do not hold memberships in your organization...

"Even though it is not appropriate for Bahá'ís to become members of Amnesty International, its humanitarian aspects make it possible for Bahá'ís to have friendly relationships with the organization. Thus, Bahá'ís are encouraged to feel free to collaborate as individuals in certain Amnesty International's projects, while retaining the right to abstain from participation in actions which could conflict with Bahá'í principles."

http://bahai-library.com/uhj_amnesty_international

For your future reference the term "Bahaism" was used by academics early in the twentieth century ... The term used currently is "Baha'i Faith". You are most welcome to pose any questions you wish about Baha'i Faith and I will personally do my best to respond!

- Art

frazelle09

i might humbly add that these stories provide me with encouragement as a Bahá'í; they also tell us about the progress of the Faith in other countries and... i was going to add a couple more but got distracted. Ug.

Anyway, hope the above helps and have a great afternoon! :)

frazelle09

To add to the above - they also (the stories) help me understand the country from which my religion sprang and its culture. They help to demonstrate to the world how Bahá'ís strive to put into practice the Teachings of Bahá'u'lláh and that we are so convinced of their validity that we are willing to suffer persecution so that a new civilization can arise from the chaos and disunity of this one.

There - that's a more complete expression. Boy, that was a good question!

Have a wonderful day! :)

Nostik

Struggling but hopeful
They are issues about which the world needs to be aware. If mistakes aren't learned from then they're doomed to be repeated. The treatment of Iranian Baha'is is very insidious, remember what happened to the Jews at the hands of nazis