• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Mormon response to Rev.Ch.#22 Vs. 18-22: "I warn everone who hears the words etc"

The individuals who have ignored this warning throughout history: (Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, David Corresh, Madaline O'Hare, L. Ron Hubard), have all died violent deaths.Do Mormons think that the bible failed to tell us things necessary for our salvation?

danieldemol

Premium Member
The individuals who have ignored this warning throughout history: (Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, David Corresh, Madaline O'Hare, L. Ron Hubard), have all died violent deaths.Do Mormons think that the bible failed to tell us things necessary for our salvation?
I’m no Mormon, but Jesus died a violent death, what makes you think it’s a sign of unrighteousness or loss of salvation?

PruePhillip

I’m no Mormon, but Jesus died a violent death, what makes you think it’s a sign of unrighteousness or loss of salvation?

Yeah, good point. In fact of the disciples only John died of old age.
The problem isn't how Joseph Smith died, it's how he lived and
who he deceived.
His Book of Abraham is particularly galling - he claimed he could
read Egyptian Hieroglyphics, and who in America could contradict
him? Smith read a standard funeral text and claimed to have found
a book about Abraham. His second falsehood that galls me is his
claim that the lost tribes of Israel arrived in North America. Like the
Book of Abraham, this is a lie. I feel sorry for all those well meaning
people who swallowed all this.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
This is a dead horse. This has been an accusation for decades. We are not contradicting the Bible except for inaccurate translation. We are not adding to it or detracting from it. We are simply producing other books and magazines that tell other information that don't contradict.

Imagine this; the verse about adding or subtracting is mentioned 5 times in the Bible. Does that mean that after the first time the rest of the Bible was damnable to write?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So this passage is the one you're talking about?

18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy contained in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to assume that when the author says "this book of prophecy," he didn't mean the book he was writing (i.e. Revelation) but instead meant a Bible that would be compiled long afterward by others.

So this passage is the one you're talking about?

18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy contained in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to assume that when the author says "this book of prophecy," he didn't mean the book he was writing (i.e. Revelation) but instead meant a Bible that would be compiled long afterward by others.
The book of Mormon takes the art of the obnoxious to the limit. Like all cults, the things Mormons write are intended to create an atmosphere of theological confusion, which draws in the uneducated, the weak minded, and the economically, or socially desperate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The book of Mormon takes the art of the obnoxious to the limit. Like all cults, the things Mormons write are intended to create an atmosphere of theological confusion, which draws in the uneducated, the weak minded, and the economically, or socially desperate.
So rather than actually respond to the content of my post, you prefer to slag a competing denomination?

The LDS Church certainly isn't the worst offender when it comes to Christian churches preying on the vulnerable.

Edit: BTW - what's your denomination?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, I'd start by reminding you that the Apostles also died pretty violent deaths. You're seeing a correlation where there is none. More to the point, here's what the text actually says:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

First of all, the Lord was speaking to John about Revelation -- a single book in what would many, many years later, become the New Testament. He could not possibly have been speaking of the Bible since the Bible didn't even exist at that time and neither John nor anyone else would have known what He was talking about. More importantly, He was NOT telling John that He was forever done communicating to humanity. He never implied that He was never going to speak to His children again. To insist that He was saying, "I'm done!" is like trying to put a gag order on God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You are pretty uneducated about Mormonism. I understand that; a lot of people are. I don't hold it against you either. I just feel bad for you that you have chosen to use inaccurate sources for your information. I've been a Mormon for 70 years and I'd be willing to bet that Mormons don't believe any more than about 10% of what you think they do. I have no desire to try to convert you, but if you'd ever like to actually educate yourself as to the facts, you know where you can find me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, I'd start by reminding you that the Apostles also died pretty violent deaths. You're seeing a correlation where there is none. More to the point, here's what the text actually says:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

First of all, the Lord was speaking to John about Revelation -- a single book in what would many, many years later, become the New Testament. He could not possibly have been speaking of the Bible since the Bible didn't even exist at that time and neither John nor anyone else would have known what He was talking about. More importantly, He was NOT telling John that He was forever done communicating to humanity. He never implied that He was never going to speak to His children again. To insist that He was saying, "I'm done!" is like trying to put a gag order on God.
And it occurs to me that even if we interpret "this book of prophecy" to mean the entire Bible, the other LDS scriptures are separate books. The LDS Church hasn't added or removed anything from the Bible.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
And it occurs to me that even if we interpret "this book of prophecy" to mean the entire Bible, the other LDS scriptures are separate books. The LDS Church hasn't added or removed anything from the Bible.
Agreed. But we really can't interpret it to mean the entire Bible, because there is a similar warning somewhere in Deuteronomy which, if interpreted as Richard is interpreting the passage from Revelation, would essentially negate the entire New Testament (if not every book of the Old Testament which follows Deuteronomy).

Jane.Doe

*sigh*
Do you care about being factual? Are you interested in having a respectful conversation here?

Or is this thread just Blind-Slur attempted #3603630450014?

If by chance you want to have a factual respectful conversation, feel free to contact me.

So rather than actually respond to the content of my post, you prefer to slag a competing denomination?

The LDS Church certainly isn't the worst offender when it comes to Christian churches preying on the vulnerable.

Edit: BTW - what's your denomination?
No, but it does just that, historically, and presently.

Agreed. But we really can't interpret it to mean the entire Bible, because there is a similar warning somewhere in Deuteronomy which, if interpreted as Richard is interpreting the passage from Revelation, would essentially negate the entire New Testament (if not every book of the Old Testament which follows Deuteronomy).
The bible is the inspired word of God. This means that God intended it to come down to us exactly how it has been written, by His Divine will! God knew exactly how it would be constructed, because God is all knowing, and we are not. This is a principal of faith for all true Christians. Jesus said after many of his parables: "Let those who have eyes to see, see, and let those who have ears to hear, hear!". He repeats this message over and over. This is God telling us to stop playing dumb, stop playing word games. God does not intend to repeat his messages over and over after giving us the bible, with an never ending stream of prophets. That time is over. We can choose the comfort of false prophets, and false teachings if we wish, but come the day of judgement, we will have to answer for our choices.

This is a dead horse. This has been an accusation for decades. We are not contradicting the Bible except for inaccurate translation. We are not adding to it or detracting from it. We are simply producing other books and magazines that tell other information that don't contradict.

Imagine this; the verse about adding or subtracting is mentioned 5 times in the Bible. Does that mean that after the first time the rest of the Bible was damnable to write?
Since the bible is the inspired word of God it comes down to us exactly how God intended it, and it is not to used to contradict itself. Jesus said many times; "Let those who have ears to hear hear, and those who have eyes to see, see!". This is a warning to be taken in context with Rev. Ch#22 Vs.18-22. God is not going to repeat himself over and over again, with an endless stream of would be prophets. If we choose to seek the comfort of false prophets, and false teachings then we will be held accountable on the day of judgement.

Since the bible is the inspired word of God it comes down to us exactly how God intended it, and it is not to used to contradict itself. Jesus said many times; "Let those who have ears to hear hear, and those who have eyes to see, see!". This is a warning to be taken in context with Rev. Ch#22 Vs.18-22. God is not going to repeat himself over and over again, with an endless stream of would be prophets. If we choose to seek the comfort of false prophets, and false teachings then we will be held accountable on the day of judgement.
What part of "He who adds to" , did you not understand?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The bible is the inspired word of God. This means that God intended it to come down to us exactly how it has been written, by His Divine will! God knew exactly how it would be constructed, because God is all knowing, and we are not. This is a principal of faith for all true Christians. Jesus said after many of his parables: "Let those who have eyes to see, see, and let those who have ears to hear, hear!". He repeats this message over and over. This is God telling us to stop playing dumb, stop playing word games. God does not intend to repeat his messages over and over after giving us the bible, with an never ending stream of prophets. That time is over. We can choose the comfort of false prophets, and false teachings if we wish, but come the day of judgement, we will have to answer for our choices.
So, prior to the canon as it exists today, the Bible was apparently fallible. It's a good thing God finally got it right. Makes you wonder why so many generations had to get along with a Bible that was missing some of the books that are in it today and that had books in it that were later removed. Apparently it took a while for God to decide what He'd inspired and what He hadn't. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Does the Book of Mormon contradict the Bible or itself? (And yes there is mistranslation in the Bible)