• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is The Mark of The Beast?

What is The Mark of The Beast

• A Chip

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A Tattoo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Belief

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Action done with "The Right Hand"

• Transhumanism

• Other

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Nobody really knows. It's generally agreed that it's not 666. And while there is an earlier mention of the 'number' being 616, it's generally agreed that nobody really knows for certain.

atpollard

Nobody really knows. It's generally agreed that it's not 666. And while there is an earlier mention of the 'number' being 616, it's generally agreed that nobody really knows for certain.
Why?
What evidence leads to a general agreement on what it is 'NOT'?

(Inquiring minds want to know) ;)

David1967

Premium Member
Not sure. The Bible says it is a mark in the right hand or the forehead. Sounds pretty simple, but Ive seen some very creative explanations on here.:confused:

Mr. Beebe

What does everyone here think "The Mark of The Beast" is?

The Mark of the Beast is the changing of God's law and enforcing that change. In order to understand what the Mark is,, we must first understand who the beast is:

Revelation 13:1-8 and Revelation 13:16-18 provide these characteristics:

A. Rises from the sea (verse 1)
B.Composite of the four beasts of Daniel 7 (verse 2).
C. Dragon gives it power and authority (verse 2).
D. Receives a deadly wound (verse 3).
E. Deadly wound healed (verse 3).
F. Strong Political power (verses 3,7).
G. Strong religious power (verse 3,8).
H.Guilty of blasphemy (verses 1,5,6)
I. Wars with and overcomes the saints (verse 7).
J.Rules for 42 months (verse 5).
K.Has mysterious number 666 (verse 18)

Only 1 power meets all these identifying characteristics. The Antichrist,, the Papacy.
The mark of the Papacy is the changing of God's Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st.

Notice the following from a Catholic Catechism:

Question: Have you any other way of proving the church has power to institute festivals of precepts?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her - she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no scriptural authority.

So,, the papacy is here saying that it changed Sabbath to Sunday and that virtually all churches accepted the new holy day. Thus, the papacy claims that Sunday as a holy day is the MARK of it's authority,,,even to change God's Laws!

David1967

Premium Member
The Mark of the Beast is the changing of God's law and enforcing that change. In order to understand what the Mark is,, we must first understand who the beast is:

Revelation 13:1-8 and Revelation 13:16-18 provide these characteristics:

A. Rises from the sea (verse 1)
B.Composite of the four beasts of Daniel 7 (verse 2).
C. Dragon gives it power and authority (verse 2).
D. Receives a deadly wound (verse 3).
E. Deadly wound healed (verse 3).
F. Strong Political power (verses 3,7).
G. Strong religious power (verse 3,8).
H.Guilty of blasphemy (verses 1,5,6)
I. Wars with and overcomes the saints (verse 7).
J.Rules for 42 months (verse 5).
K.Has mysterious number 666 (verse 18)

Only 1 power meets all these identifying characteristics. The Antichrist,, the Papacy.
The mark of the Papacy is the changing of God's Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st.

Notice the following from a Catholic Catechism:

Question: Have you any other way of proving the church has power to institute festivals of precepts?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her - she could have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no scriptural authority.

So,, the papacy is here saying that it changed Sabbath to Sunday and that virtually all churches accepted the new holy day. Thus, the papacy claims that Sunday as a holy day is the MARK of it's authority,,,even to change God's Laws!

But how do you explain that the mark why the mark is described as being in the right hand or forehead? BTW, I'm with you on the Sunday thing at least to the point that no one had a right to substitute the Sabbath with another day.

Mr. Beebe

But how do you explain that the mark why the mark is described as being in the right hand or forehead?

David,, first, I would have you go to Dueteronomy chapter 6 and read it..... I believe it is talking about the Law of God (verse 5). When you get to verse 8 you see:

"You shall bind them as a sign on your HAND, and they shall be as FRONTLETS BETWEEN YOUR EYES." Deuteronomy 6:8

Compare Dueteronomy 6:8 with that of Revelation 13:16

"He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right HAND or on their FOREHEAD."

The FOREHEAD represents the mind (Hebrews 10:16). A person will be marked in the FOREHEAD by a decision to keep Sunday as a holy day.

The HAND is a symbol of work (Ecclesiastes 9:10). A person will be marked in the hand by working on God's holy Sabbath, or by going along with Sunday laws for practical reasons (job, family, ect).

"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
New word; transhumanism. So I look it up. And I think it is what we are supposed to do except not with machines. We are supposed to do it with God, like Christ. Walking on water and healing the sick is possible. Transhumanism is not the mark.

The mark is people's standards. I am sure. The world's standards are very, very, very, very, very, very low.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
David,, first, I would have you go to Dueteronomy chapter 6 and read it..... I believe it is talking about the Law of God (verse 5). When you get to verse 8 you see:

"You shall bind them as a sign on your HAND, and they shall be as FRONTLETS BETWEEN YOUR EYES." Deuteronomy 6:8

"He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right HAND or on their FOREHEAD."

The FOREHEAD represents the mind (Hebrews 10:16). A person will be marked in the FOREHEAD by a decision to keep Sunday as a holy day.

The HAND is a symbol of work (Ecclesiastes 9:10). A person will be marked in the hand by working on God's holy Sabbath, or by going along with Sunday laws for practical reasons (job, family, ect).

"
Do you REALLY think God cares about one day a week? Isn't the Sabbath suppose to be every day? God rested on the seventh Day. God is resting EVERY DAY.

David1967

Premium Member

"

I will look at that. Thanks for the reply. ;)

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
The title Revelation (or The Apocalypse) is written to encourage Christians and describes the challenges they regularly face and reveals the name Jesus Christ. The phrase 'Mark of the beast' is symbolic language that has to do with an enemy or enemies of Christ. This book The Apocalypse is written by or in concert with the same author who wrote the letters 1st John and 2nd John and the gospel, John. The author coins terms, paints with pictures and stories and reveals through images. It should only be read once you have familiarity with John's other works. It does not describe future events, past events or a historical time line -- not at all. It is a timeless work that remains relevant without regard to the passing of events. Don't spend money or time trying to 'Find the beast'. The beast is something that resists the influence of Jesus Christ and tries to snuff out Christianity. Its not a famous person or country or a city, not a religion, not an angel, not a demon and not anything that you have to find.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not think the beast "tries to" snuff out Christianity. I think it resists Christianity for personal pursuits. It makes resisting look good so people follow it.

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Why?
What evidence leads to a general agreement on what it is 'NOT'?

(Inquiring minds want to know) ;)

Because there's only one mention (predating 666) of the number being 616. So there's no way of verifying if it's true. All theologians can say for sure is that 'they don't know.'

Kelly of the Phoenix

I picked "other" because the number thing means "Nero". Otherwise, maybe John saw a vision of the future but he caught a clip of Jurassic World instead, and all the cool dino stuff was so terrifying he thought it was the end of the world (since humans, again, basically lose in JW).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The title Revelation (or The Apocalypse) is written to encourage Christians and describes the challenges they regularly face and reveals the name Jesus Christ. The phrase 'Mark of the beast' is symbolic language that has to do with an enemy or enemies of Christ. This book The Apocalypse is written by or in concert with the same author who wrote the letters 1st John and 2nd John and the gospel, John. The author coins terms, paints with pictures and stories and reveals through images. It should only be read once you have familiarity with John's other works. It does not describe future events, past events or a historical time line -- not at all. It is a timeless work that remains relevant without regard to the passing of events. Don't spend money or time trying to 'Find the beast'. The beast is something that resists the influence of Jesus Christ and tries to snuff out Christianity. Its not a famous person or country or a city, not a religion, not an angel, not a demon and not anything that you have to find.
To be an enemy one must acknowledge an opponent. I think the beast (and those with the mark of the beast) does not acknowledge Christ. Think of the word BEAST. A beast has little awareness except maybe hunger.
Matthew 24:39