• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Fundamental Nature of the Will?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Of course! As long as you recognize that there is no fundamental difference between "you" and "not-you."
When I drive my car, the controls become a temporary extension of my will. I turn the wheel to turn the car, apply the brakes to slow down and stop, apply the gas to speed up, etc. (determinism via technology) However, the car is not me.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
When I drive my car, the controls become a temporary extension of my will. I turn the wheel to turn the car, apply the brakes to slow down and stop, apply the gas to speed up, etc. (determinism via technology) However, the car is not me.

So why do you decide to turn the wheel, apply the breaks, etc? What made you want to operate the car?

The car is not "you" from the perspective of you. But without the filters and discriminating order of your brain, it is as much you as everything else is.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
So why do you decide to turn the wheel, apply the breaks, etc? What made you want to operate the car?

The car is not "you" from the perspective of you. But without the filters and discriminating order of your brain, it is as much you as everything else is.
Why have a mind, brain, and intellect at all then?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Why have a mind, brain, and intellect at all then?

To observe.

That's not to say that there isn't something to the feeling of free will. Because we are defined by our senses and how our brains model data, we experience ourselves moving as separate entities moving around and doing things. But simultaneously, we are not at all separate from our environment and we act from and through it. Our reality is an observation of this relationship.

Last edited:

Bear Wild

To observe.

That's not to say that there isn't something to the feeling of free will. Because we are defined by our senses and how our brains model data, we experience ourselves moving as separate entities moving around and doing things. But simultaneously, we are not at all separate from our environment and we act from and through it. Our reality is an observation of this relationship.

Wonderful viewpoint. We are intimately connected and dependent with our environment. I believe the reason we are in our environmental crisis is because we see ourselves as separate and lose responsibility for what we do or don't do.

What we think of as the will is clearly within the neurologic framework of the brain (both the cortical and subcortical) but it is intimately connected through our sensory system that integrates the information influenced by the cognitive aspect of the brain the influences the environment back through the directed actions of the brain. How much of this is truly free will always a debatable question since the will we develop is through the interactions of our environment. It is still a physical process.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What -- if it exists in the first place -- is the fundamental (i.e. ontological) nature of the will?

Is it....

(1) some physical thing?​

(2) Or is it some metaphysical thing?
If the will is free, then doesn't that mean the will must be metaphysical in nature?
And it the will is determined, does not that mean the will is most likely physical in nature?

Comments? Questions?

Will, it is an expression of desire/choice.

My will is to be rich, or eat chocolate ice cream.

Freewill: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention. merriam-webster

The way I look at this is sense we can imagine any past, present or future our choices are not bound by prior causes. Of course while we could make a choice based prior events/causes. We could also make a choice on a past that never existed or a future that never will. The choices we make is limited by what we can imagine, our ability to be creative, not only by prior causes.

Computer systems, input determines output. Humans however input does not necessarily determine output. So the output of a human cannot be determined until they've gone through the process of making a choice.