• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the EU's Customs Union?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
A customs union is technically different of the Customs Union. On the one hand, you have the legal WTO definition which states the customs union seeks to abolish internal barriers and set an external tariff to third countries and, on the face of it, you would say the same of the Customs Union. However, the technicality arises when you understand that the Customs Union has extended to beyond the legal definition of a customs union—whereby the WTO definition does not preclude a customs union member from creating separate trade deals (tariffed of course), whilst the EU Customs Union does just this. Due to the interlocking of both the Customs Union and EU external trade policy, the UK is precluded just so. One misconception that is rife amongst the “experts” (and particularly the Financial Times newspaper for some reason) is that the Customs Union abolishes border customs checks within the Customs Union member states. And, if you head down to Germany through France, you would think that, actually, this is the case. And it is!—but it’s not down to the Customs Union, but customs cooperation introduced in the Maastricht Treaty under the pretence of it being a matter of common interest (which I would argue it is). Customs cooperation is not the Customs Union, but works alongside this Customs Union codes (Regulation (EU) No 952/2013) from Regulation (EEC) No 2913/92 (“92” referring to the year which formal drafting began—way after the establishment of the Customs Union in the Treaty of Rome).

We should leave the Customs Union upon Brexit—there is literally no reason to stay inside it since the Single European Act has nothing to do with it.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
You reckon Brexit will go through? I'm still unsure myself.

It will go through. I would bet all three of my houses on this--along with my son :D

Must say, leaving the EU is going swimmingly well:D

The public and the media think it is going in a reprehensible manner. But if you actually do some research and not rely on vacuous-tier, 0 information journalism then you will be none the wiser.
Glad to see you're still ignorant.

So you won the referendum and still whine about the EU?

We're not out yet, let's keep whining.

Kirran

Premium Member
If we whine enough, surely somebody here will become a politician and fix things for us.

Is, um, Germexit coming up?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The public and the media think it is going in a reprehensible manner. But if you actually do some research and not rely on vacuous-tier, 0 information journalism then you will be none the wiser.
Glad to see you're still ignorant.
Glad to see that you still have to make personal attacks rather than give any facts.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Glad to see that you still have to make personal attacks rather than give any facts.

An ad hominem is only fallacious if it includes no evidence. Eg:

"You're ignorant" is ad hominem

"You're ignorant because x" is no longer ad hominem.

And, since the first post was heavily laden with information beyond anything you could ever possibly muster, it is justified.

Altfish

Veteran Member
An ad hominem is only fallacious if it includes no evidence. Eg:

"You're ignorant" is ad hominem

"You're ignorant because x" is no longer ad hominem.

And, since the first post was heavily laden with information beyond anything you could ever possibly muster, it is justified.
It must be great being so intelligent.:rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a world power the UK is irrelevant.
when it achieves brexit it will be both irrelevant and in terminal decline.
But it will have temporary interest to global asset strippers.
It will bcome a useful haven for countless opportunists.

what the citizens think about this will also be irrelevant.

Kirran

Premium Member
As a world power the UK is irrelevant.
when it achieves brexit it will be both irrelevant and in terminal decline.
But it will have temporary interest to global asset strippers.
It will bcome a useful haven for countless opportunists.

what the citizens think about this will also be irrelevant.

I think it might stick on a middle power, with some secondary significance in the region. But that's about it, in terms of geopolitical influence.

If Scotland splits off, and maybe even NI reunited with Eire, then even more so.

Much as many of school friends would wish otherwise, I can't see Wales going independent! I was from that kind of area of Wales.

Altfish

Veteran Member
From an @FT comments page. Seems a fair summary.

upload_2016-12-1_17-24-25.png