• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Difference?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To oversimplify:

• Paganism = polytheistic, nature-centered, locality-oriented or indigenous religions
  • Neopaganism = contemporary revival of Paganism which derives inspiration from historical/indigenous polytheisms
  • Wicca = a specific form of Neopaganism developed in ~1960s in the UK by Gerald Gardner; focuses on sex/gender polarity, fertility, seasonal celebrations, and spellcraft; heavily influenced by Western occult traditions and much less reconstructionist
  • Goddess Spirituality = a mode of religiosity that focuses on divinity and sacredness as expressed through femaleness and femininity
  • New Age = a mish mash of Eastern religious inspiration and fundamentally Christian undertones that aims to evolve the higher self in a very whitelighter fashion

GoodbyeDave

My two penn'orth:

> Paganism is any religion which has developed naturally from religious experiences within a community, rather than being founded by someone claiming to be a prophet. It can have a continuous history, like Shinto in Japan or African Traditional Religion, or it can be reconstructed after having been suppressed by Christian or Muslim persecution, like the Heathen or Canaanite religions.

> Goddess spirituality is as described by Quintessence. I'd add that it can exist within a broader pagan tradition, like the cult of Isis (Hellenic or Egyptian) or Shaktidharma in Hinduism.

> Neopaganism is any religion founded in modern times which attempts to have the features of Paganism without being a continuation of an older tradition. Wicca, pagan Druidry, some forms of Satanism, eclecticism. Gerald Gardner, the founder of Wicca, thought he was a reconstructionist, but he was mistaken.

> New Age is a system of personal development rather than a religion.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
> New Age is a system of personal development rather than a religion.

I'll underbid ye, a penny-and-a-half!:p

Seriously, though, I might argue that New Age would probably qualify as Folk Religion, or perhaps, personal development AS religion. Either way, it is very syncretic and not clearly organized as a system, since it seems that almost anything can fit under the tent--at least as far as I've observed.