• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the definition of God?

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
If I hold a book and say that ‘this is a pen’, for the opposite person to say, ‘it is not a pen’, he should know what is the definition of a pen, even if he does not know nor is able to recognise or identify the object I am holding in my hand. For him to say this is not a pen, he should at least know what a pen means.
Similarly for an atheist to say ‘there is no God’, he should at least know the concept of God. His concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which he lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore he does not believe in such a god. Similarly a Muslim too does not and should not believe in such false gods.

If a non-Muslim believes that Islam is a merciless religion with something to do with terrorism; a religion which does not give rights to women; a religion which contradicts science; in his limited sense that non-Muslim is correct to reject such Islam. The problem is he has a wrong picture of Islam. Even I reject such a false picture of Islam, but at the same time, it becomes my duty as a Muslim to present the correct picture of Islam to that non-Muslim i.e. Islam is a merciful religion, it gives equal rights to the women, it is not incompatible with logic, reason and science; if I present the correct facts about Islam, that non-Muslim may Inshallah accept Islam.
Similarly the atheist rejects the false gods and the duty of every Muslim is to present the correct concept of God which he shall Insha Allah not refuse.

For who says that there is no God,Please tell us what is the definition of God.

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
It's such a shame that the reason for most atheists -who come from religious backgrounds-to be atheists is as i said wrong definition of God i.e their concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which he lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore he does not believe in such a god.
Examples of "religious ideas" of the that made a lot of people reject God :
Genesis 1:26 - Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...."
Luke 24:41-43 - “He [Jesus] said to them: Do you have any food? And they gave him a piece of broiled fish and some honey. And he took it and ate it in front of them.”
Luke 24:36-39 -While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost.He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
Luke 2:21-On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise him, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he had been conceived.
Also the idea that God had a mother,were he was formed in 9 months like any human,and the idea that God died.etc
On one hand we should know that what many christian say about Jesus (pbuh) claiming divinity is wrong,in no where in the Bible did Jesus (pbuh) say "I am God" or "worship me",on the other hand this is what most of christians say that Jesus claimed divinity,so many people couldn't believe in a God that looks like a human being,eats,breaths,made of flesh and bones(that would make him non-independent who depends on other things to survive which would mean that he has begining and not a God).
an atheist agrees with the first part of the Shahada i.e. the Islamic Creed, ‘La ilaaha’ - meaning ‘there is no God’.So half my job is already done; now the only part left is ‘il lallah’ i.e. ‘BUT ALLAH’ which I shall do Insha Allah. With others (who are not atheists) I have to first remove from their minds the wrong concept of God they may have and then put the correct concept of one true God.

sridatta

God can be said as an item not having the existence of worldly items

(The existence of Para Brahman is not the existence of non-God items in which the knowledge of the non-God items is a prerequisite condition. Para Brahman exists as per the statement of Veda).

All the non-God items are worldly objects, which are parts of creation. All these items are known first and then only their existence is mentioned. When you say that a pot exists, it means that you are stating the existence since you know the pot already. Hence, the existence of any worldly item requires the knowledge of that item already. If you do not know anything about an item, you will not say that it exists. Hence, the existence always requires the prior knowledge of the item. But God is beyond world and is unimaginable since God is not known. Hence, the existence of God is not similar to the existence of the worldly items. Since the existence of worldly items, which requires prior knowledge of the item, is absent in the case of God, God can be said as an item not having the existence of worldly items and hence God is non-existent (Asat) in this sense. This does not mean that God is really non-existent because God really exists as per Veda (Astityeva….) and hence God exists (Sat).