• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Progressive Witchcraft?

Pah

Uber all member
What is Progressive Witchcraft?

By Terminus

"We do not see our 'trainees' as empty vessels, waiting to be filled up, but as individuals with a wealth of experience and ideas which they can contribute to the craft. (Rainbird, 1993)

The use of the term progressive arose from a discussion between Ariadne Rainbird and Tam Campbell in London in the late 1980s (*3) They were discussing the evolution of Wicca, and the fact that it had moved on over the decades, beyond the labels of "Gardnerian" or "Alexandrian". They clearly stated that the term was being used to describe a trend, not a tradition, and that any coven that was eclectic in its approach and not limiting itself to the Book of Shadows was being progressive.

In 1991 Ariadne Rainbird formed a network for covens who subscribed to a more eclectic view of Wiccan practice, called the Progressive Wiccan network (*1). This network included covens in Wales, England, Germany and Canada. 1991 also saw the first Grand Sabbat, at Lughnasadh, with around 30 witches from six different covens meeting up to camp out in the wilds of South Wales and celebrate together. This tradition was to continue for some years, developing into an annual weekly gathering in Cornwall for members of different covens to work together.

In 1992 David Rankine became the editor of the magazine Dragon's Brew, which became the magazine of the Progressive Wiccan movement. Dragon's Brew was created by Chris Breen in 1990, originally as the house magazine for the Silver Wheel Coven (*1).

To quote from the magazine (1992):

"Progressive Wicca is a movement which spans the traditions and emphasises networking, closeness to nature, personal growth and co-operative development. Personal experience of other paths is welcomed and integrated into covens, and we do not slavishly follow a Book of Shadows, as we see Wicca as an ever growing religion and the Book of Shadows changes and grows with each new Witch." (*1)

Contact details for a number of covens were given in the back of each issue of the magazine. The editorial stance of the magazine was actively supportive of environmental protection, detailing protests, distributing leaflets and supporting organisations like Dragon (eco-magick environmental network) and Friends of the Earth Cymru in their actions. Campaigns like the ones to save Oxleas Wood and Twyford Down were covered, as well as events in other parts of the world, like proposed wolf culling in Canada, tiger conservation in India, and anti-nuclear testing by the French in the Pacific. (*1)

Dragon's Brew ran quarterly until 1997, with a circulation of several hundred copies, and covered a wide range of subjects, from chakras and kundalini to Enochian magick and running effective open rituals. Different pantheons were also explored, including the Welsh, Greek, Sumerian and Egyptian. A number of prominent academics also contributed to the magazine, which received articles from distinguished figures such as Professor Ronald Hutton and the Egyptologist Terry DuQuesne. (*1)

By 1994 Progressive Witchcraft was widely known throughout Europe. David Rankine gave a number of talks at events like the Talking Stick Meet the Groups conference in 1994, and at various University Pagan Societies. The growth of the movement was acknowledged by Michael Jordan, who gave it a sizeable entry in his 1996 book Witches: An Encyclopaedia of Paganism and Magic. (*3)

To avoid some disharmony caused by the term "Progressive" in the Wiccan community the term was changed from "Progressive Wicca" to Progressive Witchcraft in 1993, as was demonstrated by the cover of Dragon's Brew (*1). In combination with this Ariadne Rainbird and David Rankine set up the Progressive Witchcraft Foundation, to deal with enquiries about Progressive Witchcraft, and also ran workshops under the banner of Silver Wheel with other coven members on a variety of related subjects.

In 1994 Ariadne Rainbird and David Rankine started running correspondence courses on natural magick based on much of the (non-oathbound) Progressive Witchcraft material. This material was to form the basis for their book Magick Without Peers: A Course in Progressive Witchcraft for the Solitary Practitioner, published by Capall Bann in 1997. (*2)

Reference Material

-------------------------

(*1) Dragon's Brew, a Magazine of Magick, Paganism & Progressive Witchcraft, (1992 -1997)

(*2) Magick Without Peers, A Course in Progressive Witchcraft. Capall Bann 1997

(*3) Witches, An Encyclopaedia of Paganism and Magic; Michael Jordon, 1996

Patchwork of Magic, Julia Day, Capall Bann, 1995

(*4) Talking Stick Magical Directory, 1993

This article was written by Terminus, 2000 and provided for free distribution.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/index.htm is the source

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Master Vigil said:
If one looks deeply at harry potter, one finds christianity, not witchcraft.
I think there's quite a vocal Christian contingent who would not only loudly disagree with you, but probably beat you wih a broom for suggesting such a thing.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
lady_lazarus said:
I think there's quite a vocal Christian contingent who would not only loudly disagree with you, but probably beat you wih a broom for suggesting such a thing.
Hehee! (Loving the visual I'm getting from that.)

And yet odd that pagans usually have no problem with the comparison. (I know I don't, at least. I find less religion in the "Harry Potter" books than I do humanity.)

amylong

I have a very Christian friend who didn't want her kids to see Harry Potter.

I see that show as more about the magic of childhood and kids overcoming problems using their wits (a common fantasy of kids to outwit adults) than it is about any particular kind of religion.

All children want to feel special and when kids are feeling without power, the idea of being magical is huge.

--Amy

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Very true, Amy, and well put. I also knew a Christian who didn't want their children reading the books, although that was because they mentioned magic, and the person didn't want their children hearing about that sort of thing. I know that they aren't my children, and I can't judge, but I suppose I'd rather have my kids learn about the very concrete magic of reading...

Sagira

fabbers said:
no way does harry potter have anything to do with wicca.
any wiccas go to this site:
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0702/wiccans.html
you will find it hilarious/very annoying. i did
landloverbaptist.org is a very well known satire site, but quite funny, none-the-less. Few people take it for face value.

I don't usually find anything satire that annoying, but as I have said before (and no doubt will say again) I don't get offended easily.

Progressive witchcraft is the attempt to logically justify reincarnation(s) connected to the afterlife. This has been shown (via mathematics) the highly improbable reality of this theory. Also, it is a rip off of Hinduism.

Cold-Stone Advantage

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cold-Stone said:
Progressive witchcraft is the attempt to logically justify reincarnation(s) connected to the afterlife. This has been shown (via mathematics) the highly improbable reality of this theory. Also, it is a rip off of Hinduism.

Cold-Stone Advantage
I should love to see your "This has been shown (via mathematics) the highly improbable reality of this theory" - have you got a link ?:)

It is not a link. But I will attempt to locate the formula for you in my paperwork. Most witches simply have not thought about the path of time and deduction from their thinking regardin this. A perfect witch via this theory would have had to begin the reincarnation process around 600 A.D. to have reached the desired goal. And mind you, this witch would have had to of been completely perfect in each life.

But just for you Michael, since you are the nicest moderator on this forum that I have seen so far, I'll get back to you with the specifics to this occultic perspective of the afterlife.

Cold-Stone Advantage

Okay Michael, here's the skinny on this:

There are several Witches/ Pagans out there that attempt to systematize the concept by fusing it with astrology.

This teaching is that one must incarnate at least once in each sign of the zodianc, thus a minimum of twelve lifetimes. However if you blow it in your "virgo" lifetime, you'll have to come back and be a Virgo again, until you get the "lessons" of that zodiacal sign mastered.

The majority of Witches I know of have a variation of this however. The addition to this equation is that you must experience a lifetime in each zodiac sign for each sex. You must go around once as a male "Aries," then once as a female "Aries." THis just doubled the requisite number of lifetimes to perfection.

Of course, we cannot be racist; so some socially conscious witches : ) believe that you must also experience the major racial types as well. You must be a Caucasian, a Black, an Asian, and a Native American. Somehow this has gotten rather daunting! We are now talking about at least twenty four dozen lifetimes (288!)

Assuming you go immediately from one death to your next life (I am aware there are disagreements on that, but just follow me) and figuring an average of forty years per life. that means you're talking over 11,000 years to get it right! (only in 20th century has death age risen as it has). Even with the basic "plan" (the first one ) mentioned first, it would still take at least 1,440 years to perfect yourselft. That means someone who is near perfection NOW has been at it at least since the sixth century A.D.

And this assumes that you have not obtained any negative Karma along the way.

Is this really possible in your minds? Or are most of you rejecting this doctrine? With all due respect, I doubt any of my sister witches has thought this through.

Why follow absurdity? - Then there's Ahimsa. This is your only hope. But is it really? Perhaps more on this if the conversation progresses.

Mathematically, this worldview is unlikely (many revisions as you can see of this concept within witchcraft)

Only an arrogant witch thinks they are perfect. But i have not met a witch yet that thinks they make 0 mistakes in life. Let alone is several (tons) of lifes.

A worldview that is not possible to live out is really no worldview at all.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cold-Stone said:
Okay Michael, here's the skinny on this:

There are several Witches/ Pagans out there that attempt to systematize the concept by fusing it with astrology.

This teaching is that one must incarnate at least once in each sign of the zodianc, thus a minimum of twelve lifetimes. However if you blow it in your "virgo" lifetime, you'll have to come back and be a Virgo again, until you get the "lessons" of that zodiacal sign mastered.

The majority of Witches I know of have a variation of this however. The addition to this equation is that you must experience a lifetime in each zodiac sign for each sex. You must go around once as a male "Aries," then once as a female "Aries." THis just doubled the requisite number of lifetimes to perfection.

Of course, we cannot be racist; so some socially conscious witches : ) believe that you must also experience the major racial types as well. You must be a Caucasian, a Black, an Asian, and a Native American. Somehow this has gotten rather daunting! We are now talking about at least twenty four dozen lifetimes (288!)

Assuming you go immediately from one death to your next life (I am aware there are disagreements on that, but just follow me) and figuring an average of forty years per life. that means you're talking over 11,000 years to get it right! (only in 20th century has death age risen as it has). Even with the basic "plan" (the first one ) mentioned first, it would still take at least 1,440 years to perfect yourselft. That means someone who is near perfection NOW has been at it at least since the sixth century A.D.

And this assumes that you have not obtained any negative Karma along the way.

Is this really possible in your minds? Or are most of you rejecting this doctrine? With all due respect, I doubt any of my sister witches has thought this through.

Why follow absurdity? - Then there's Ahimsa. This is your only hope. But is it really? Perhaps more on this if the conversation progresses.

Mathematically, this worldview is unlikely (many revisions as you can see of this concept within witchcraft)

Only an arrogant witch thinks they are perfect. But i have not met a witch yet that thinks they make 0 mistakes in life. Let alone is several (tons) of lifes.

A worldview that is not possible to live out is really no worldview at all.
Futher QUOTE................"But just for you Michael, since you are the nicest moderator on this forum that I have seen so far, I'll get back to you with the specifics to this occultic perspective of the afterlife"...............UNQUOTE

In respect of the above,
a) I believe you are very mistaken in your judgement - but I will admit that a vit of flattery works wonders......
icon12.gif
......as far as I am concerned, I think all the moderators on this forum bend over backwards to be kind, compromising, impartial and non judgemental; as far as I am concerned, you do the other Moderators an injustice by singling me out for praise; I do not deserve it more than any other Mod.

b) The fact that you quote that puts me at a disadvantage - because, by implication, you have caused me to feel that I somehow owe you 'more consideration' than I would normally offer in a debate.

c) When I am posting in a debate such as this, I debate as a member of the forum - nothing more because I am a Moderator - primarily, I am a member of the forum - just like every other member. The moderating role, I took on, because I was asked to do so; anything that I can do to help maintain peace and fairness on this forum is something I will gladly do.

I used to believe in reincarnation; it is only in the last seven months that I decided that my belief was merely a 'comfort zone' of my own making to be able to 'cope' with what seemed to me, the inequalities and unfairness of life. So, for me, reinmcarnation is a well ttrodden path, in it's concept.

You will therefore forgive me if I tell you that I stopped reading as soon as I saw the following sentence:-

"This teaching is that one must incarnate at least once in each sign of the zodianc, thus a minimum of twelve lifetimes. However if you blow it in your "virgo" lifetime, you'll have to come back and be a Virgo again, until you get the "lessons" of that zodiacal sign mastered."

That is nothing like the reincarnation theory in which I believed. I believe in repetitive incarnations, totally non - astrologically associated (That is something I must admit of which I have never heard).

I would also challenge your formula : " Assuming you go immediately from one death to your next life (I am aware there are disagreements on that, but just follow me) and figuring an average of forty years per life. that means you're talking over 11,000 years to get it right! (only in 20th century has death age risen as it has). Even with the basic "plan" (the first one ) mentioned first, it would still take at least 1,440 years to perfect yourselft. That means someone who is near perfection NOW has been at it at least since the sixth century A.D. "

So what ? if I may be so bold - What is 10,000 years, in the eyes of God? How do you know that there are not parallel existances in which one whole incarnation is only one day long? The timescale we, as humans, have accepted, is a mere measure based on the rising and setting of the sun - adjusted to make more sense ...etc.

Have you ever seen a little mite - I am no zoologist - so what I am about to say may well be off course (and I am too tired to check on the internet before saying this - I am past my cup of cocoa pre bed-time drink, and I am looking forward to going to sleep as soon as I can) - geting back to our mite - for sake of example, choose one whose life-time is but one day long - you, as a human, can hapilly sit and watch (From the moment of your first breath, for sake of convenient Maths) one mite, each day of your life ( ie 365 x76 [Assuming that to be the age to which you will live ]=27, 740 during your life time....you might, of course hazzard a guess at however many mites there are , all over the world, each day.......... I hope you get my point ?

Even if the wiccans are correct in their belief about incarnations being linked to the Astrological houses, your 11,000 years is just a speck of time when you consider the lifetime of Mother Earth...." That means someone who is near perfection NOW has been at it at least since the sixth century A.D."......... I see nothing incredulous or illogical in that statement, if you believe in reincarnation - which, as I said earlier I now do not consider to be 'the way of life'.:)

Michael, I responded but I'm not sure where it went.

Again, this required PERFECTION in every life. Have you ever met a perfect witch/wiccan in this life? The probability is extremely nil.

In the market place of ideas, this is weak and the historical christian philosophy is much more plausible regarding the afterlife, that being judgement. (Hebrews 9:27).

Cold-Stone Advantage

Draka

Wonder Woman
Cold Stone, you are dealing with assumptions and misrepresentations I know not where you got.

"Perfect Love and Perfect Trust" is what we are to show to the Divine and try to show to each other. This is in no way to indicate that we think ourselves perfect. No one is. Do you think yourself perfect? We who believe in reincarnation are not under the assumption that we become perfect, just wiser and more knowledgable with each lifetime. That is the purpose of it...to learn and improve our souls through experience. And as for when the first incarnation begins for souls that can vary. There is no reason to believe that a soul did not begin its first incarnation in 10 B.C.E. or 2000 C.E. That is up to the Divine...not your mathematics. For what is mathematics and time to a deity? Nothing.